Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:30 pm

Wal-Mart to offer Checking Accounts in October with Greendot

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/24/bu...unts.html?_r=0

Looks like a amazing opportunity to MS if we can load them properly.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:50 pm

how exactly do you plan on MSing on this?
Also this puts me off "Green Dot accounts with direct deposits of less than $500 a month will cost $8.95 a month."
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by New York Times
GoBank, as the service is known...
Nothing to see here, move along...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:10 pm

This actually worries me, more than anything else. Does this mean that Wal-Mart may be moving away from Bluebird? Would this impact the ability to purchase regular money orders at Wal-Mart? Or would it (hopefully) just be an additional service, the way they also offer bill-pay?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:16 am

Wasn't there another article about GreenDot planning to eliminate their reload cards and offering a direct reload at registers (to eliminate fraud, they're eliminating a product)? That's probably what this is. I don't see why WM wouldn't continue to offer BlueBird.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by guflyer
This actually worries me, more than anything else. Does this mean that Wal-Mart may be moving away from Bluebird?
Nah. Considering they just starting supporting Serve a couple months ago, no reason to worry. WM already supports GB, MoneyCard, etc...
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
Too early to say whether this is good or bad as an MS tool. Let's not jump the gun people.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Nothing really new here. GoBank has been in the market for almost 18 months. Walmart has been a part-owner of Green Dot since 2010, which predates their JV with AMEX for the Bluebird product by 2 years. I highly doubt one of these products will preclude the other from being offered. And unless Walmart forces Green Dot to take a back seat in managing the GoBank product, it will continue to be a nearly-useless product offering for most of us.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by NecessaryIndulgences
Nothing really new here. GoBank has been in the market for almost 18 months. Walmart has been a part-owner of Green Dot since 2010, which predates their JV with AMEX for the Bluebird product by 2 years. I highly doubt one of these products will preclude the other from being offered. And unless Walmart forces Green Dot to take a back seat in managing the GoBank product, it will continue to be a nearly-useless product offering for most of us.
Considering it's effectively another Serve/BlueBird minus the online debit card/credit card loads, it doubles your MS capacity as long as you stick to $500 GCs and leave $200 GC loading to Serve/BB if you use $200 GCs at all. I wouldn't entirely call that useless...
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:13 am

I can already see it happening: "Hi. I would like to get two $1,000 MOs split into four $500 payments. Also, I would like to immediately deposit those MOs into my checking account."
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by floressalicis
Considering it's effectively another Serve/BlueBird minus the online debit card/credit card loads, it doubles your MS capacity as long as you stick to $500 GCs and leave $200 GC loading to Serve/BB if you use $200 GCs at all. I wouldn't entirely call that useless...
We don't know how you will be able to load this, but I think to assume it can be loaded by Debit like Serve or BB may be a little premature.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
We don't know how you will be able to load this, but I think to assume it can be loaded by Debit like Serve or BB may be a little premature.
If you bothered to read the article we're discussing, the article says it's GoBank, which has been around for nearly a year and a half and there's a long, long thread in this very forum about it. There's no assumption going on here whatsoever. We know pretty well how it can be loaded, and have decent assumptions on ways to avoid being shutdown.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by commdiver
I can already see it happening: "Hi. I would like to get two $1,000 MOs split into four $500 payments. Also, I would like to immediately deposit those MOs into my checking account."
With the crowd here that doesn't bother to read anything before posting, sure.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:42 am

Walmart? Boo
Green Dot? Boooooooooos
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:52 am

Hm yes this is a little worrisome. Why would Walmart introduce another product that competes directly with Bluebird? This could mean the checking-like features of Bluebird will go away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.