Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by ILGfly
You should be fine doing them basically back to back. In fact, I am at WM right now enjoying a Subway sandwich after having loaded $3k over two sessions 15 minutes apart at Kate. BP is already scheduled.
Thanks.
Old May 21, 2015, 4:34 pm

When does gobank charge monthly fee: last day of month, or does it vary by statement date per customer, or something else?
Old May 23, 2015, 10:08 pm

Wiki is misleading. My gobank balance are over 2k most of time for the past 12 months because I always forgot to billpay it. Currently my account is 4.7k yesterday and I load 2.5k this morning so now my balance is over 7K.

My wife's gobank are over 2K most of the time also.

Originally Posted by Superorb
The wiki mentions that loading when you don't have a $0 balance seems to be bad. Can I load a few times in a single day and then bill pay, or should I load, then billpay, then load again? I haven't used my GoBank card in years.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:24 pm

The Wiki doesn't have much information.

How does one join in on this method? Every store that sells GoBank refuses credit card for them. Am I supposed to buy one with cash/debit card and then reload it via credit card? Is it the MoneyPak/Vanilla Reload Cards? I'm fairly certain those are difficult to use credit card for, too. Am I missing something or are you guys just in more MS-friendly states?
Old May 23, 2015, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Light
The Wiki doesn't have much information.

How does one join in on this method? Every store that sells GoBank refuses credit card for them. Am I supposed to buy one with cash/debit card and then somehow reload it with a credit card?
I think reload it with "debit" bought by a CC....the same as Serve/BB/RB. But, I got shutdown long ago...maybe things changed.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by FSG378
Wiki is misleading. My gobank balance are over 2k most of time for the past 12 months because I always forgot to billpay it. Currently my account is 4.7k yesterday and I load 2.5k this morning so now my balance is over 7K.

My wife's gobank are over 2K most of the time also.
Based on my (and some friends') experiences I would say quick withdrawal is the bigger issue. Actually I think they like high balances so they can collect interests from it.

Also GoBank updated their terms and now explicitly states the monthly limit is 3k. I believe most (if not all) of the shutdown accounts were well above it.

Last edited by usalibido; May 23, 2015 at 11:47 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 24, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
If I remember correctly, it happened to me twice that daily limit might be 2500. I got the little receipt twice that says card limit reached. I don't see how someone loaded 3K in two sessions. May be because I have these newer lower limit cards.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:03 am

same question i asked on the paypal thread: is it possible to keep buying the temporary 1-time cards and load them to my greendot account? i have an opportunity to buy the 1-time cards but the location doesn't do reloads.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:10 am

Paper check writing capabilities should be available to all accounts early July (and some select accounts were supposed enabled in May).
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:02 pm

My group here who does manufactured spending all were shut down this week - never went over 3k a month but no biggie..
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by kingrat
My group here who does manufactured spending all were shut down this week - never went over 3k a month but no biggie..
Did your group change its behavior in any way?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:00 pm

what is the real deposit limit for 30 day period? I found it is actually more than $3000
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by kingrat
More importantly - what was you method of loading/unloading? Were you always BP'ing? ACH'ing? Were you adding $500+ in funds at a time?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:50 pm

I still have an open card but haven't loaded in awhile (6 mths+) due to Redbird and disinterest of WM. Recently, I tried unloading a $500 VGC from charlie victor sierra at WM with CSM that recalled me from BB, thankfully, and knew how to load. To my surprise he was unable to do so. CSM mentioned the system changed about 6 months ago. I didn't even get the chance to select debit or pin before having invalid payment type error. What's changed, new GC type needed?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyAppleSale
I still have an open card but haven't loaded in awhile (6 mths+) due to Redbird and disinterest of WM. Recently, I tried unloading a $500 VGC from charlie victor sierra at WM with CSM that recalled me from BB, thankfully, and knew how to load. To my surprise he was unable to do so. CSM mentioned the system changed about 6 months ago. I didn't even get the chance to select debit or pin before having invalid payment type error. What's changed, new GC type needed?
If it's the OVGCs, it's $49.99 at a time at WM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.