Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Does a GB have any advantages at all over a Serve/BB? Back when WM accepted Vanilla, I got the GB thinking I would scale up, but now that Vanilla is no longer accepted and I acquired more RB (soon to be converted to Serve), I won't do that much MS. Any reason to use the GB if I'll have more than enough limit on my Serves?
Just another way to load debit or prepaid. I use it for a backup but wouldn't go above $2K or $3K. And I space out my loads because GB has been known to shut people down unlike BB.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I've had my GB for years now, and it's been inactive most of that time. I just checked my account, I've got $5 in there, and I haven't been charged any monthly fees. Did I get grandfathered to a no-fee card? Will it stay like this for as long as I have it?
Similar to you I signed up a few years ago but haven't used it in 18 months or so. Haven't been charged a monthly fee either.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:59 am

try play catch up from my redbird closure, and with 2.5k load and make my cc bill pay after third day of loading, account got locked , so I called in and she explained that the card was not for intended use and warned next time would be account closure....EFFF this..
Old Oct 21, 2015, 1:25 pm

It's so easy to build in the limits. If they don't intend for this kind of use, WHY don't they just install limits to what IS accepted?
Old Oct 21, 2015, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
It's so easy to build in the limits. If they don't intend for this kind of use, WHY don't they just install limits to what IS accepted?
I've asked them the same question, and rept stated what flagged the system was the multiple loads of 500, and once they see the loads goes to bill pay , they locked you down for suspicious activity.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Furyleader
try play catch up from my redbird closure, and with 2.5k load and make my cc bill pay after third day of loading, account got locked , so I called in and she explained that the card was not for intended use and warned next time would be account closure....EFFF this..
Your mistake w
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:20 pm

I did ACH from checking last thrusday. I showed in my acccount on Monday as DD, but today It is not showing there in list of transactions. But it is reflected in Balance. Something is weird.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Furyleader
I've asked them the same question, and rept stated what flagged the system was the multiple loads of 500, and once they see the loads goes to bill pay , they locked you down for suspicious activity.
I was locked down once, early on. When I called, the rep gave me the "not how the account is intended to be used" line. He was a decent sounding guy so I came right out and asked him what that really meant, and how I could avoid being locked out again. He laughed and told me that while they do flag suspicious activity there was no specific formula, adding "But c'mon. Think about it... it's a bank account. Use it like a bank account."

So I thought about it... and it made sense.

Compare the Serve/BB business model to GoBank's business model:

Serve and BB are products originally developed for people who DON'T have bank accounts. Consider the people you see at the Walmart customer service counter paying their bills and wiring money home to Ecuador. These are people who start each month with no money, put a pile of cash they've recently received into the account, then quickly take it all out and are back to a zero balance for the majority of the month. From a coarse "pattern recognition" standpoint, the behavior of a Manufactured spender looks a lot like that of the intended customer of the Serve and BB products.

GoBank, on the other hand, was not developed for the so called "un-bankable" customer. It was developed for normal people to be used like normal people use a normal bank. (Duh!)

Normal people don't deposit $500 in cash at their bank's counter and then stop at the ATM in the lobby on the way out the door and withdraw the same $500 right back out again. Normal people don't make $1000 payments to the same credit card account fifteen times a month. Normal people don't do every transaction of their lives in even, round numbers, certainly not in multiples of $500 dollars. Such activity looks suspicious, indeed.

But, if you give it just a little bit of thought, it's actually quite easy to make your GoBank activity look very normal from a coarse "pattern recognition" standpoint, If you do that, you can push $10k - $15k a month through each of as many GB accounts as you want.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RJP3
But, if you give it just a little bit of thought, it's actually quite easy to make your GoBank activity look very normal from a coarse "pattern recognition" standpoint, If you do that, you can push $10k - $15k a month through each of as many GB accounts as you want.
OK, you got me. I don't understand how you can move 10-15K per month via a GB account. I thought that the max load was 3K per month. Plus you need to add a direct deposit if you want to keep the account fee-free.

You raise a second question that I haven't thought of. Do people have more than one GB account per person? (Feel free to PM me if you prefer.)
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:49 am

Do people have more than one GB account per person?
I've clarified this with a rep over a year ago and was told one acct per SSN but no limit per HH as long as they're 18 y/o and above. IOW, they're just like the other prepaid reloadables limited to one per social.

IME, GoB is very sensitive to ACH pull from payees; I got a warning that this will not be tolerated so I quit pulling payments from my account. I don't think their B/P sends quickly as am3x, I just use this as back up when I've filled up all my other reloadables per calendar month.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
OK, you got me. I don't understand how you can move 10-15K per month via a GB account. I thought that the max load was 3K per month. Plus you need to add a direct deposit if you want to keep the account fee-free.
Not sure how/why, but I am able to regularly run that much through multiple accounts each month. Been doing so for going on two years. Here's a recent monthly summary for two different accounts...

Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:44 pm

Not sure how/why, but I am able to regularly run that much through multiple accounts each month. Been doing so for going on two years. Here's a recent monthly summary for two different accounts...

How come you are loading 14000 ? 3000 is the max limit for the cash/debit load at walmart . So are you doing MO deposit for the remaining ?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
3000 is the max limit for the cash/debit load at walmart.
Apparently not.

Last edited by RJP3; Nov 30, 2015 at 9:36 am
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Do you have the new or old GoBank?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Do you have the new or old GoBank?
Not sure where the delineation is between "new" and "old" but all my GB accounts are from early 2014.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.