Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by JohnnyAppleSale
I still have an open card but haven't loaded in awhile (6 mths+) due to Redbird and disinterest of WM. Recently, I tried unloading a $500 VGC from charlie victor sierra at WM with CSM that recalled me from BB, thankfully, and knew how to load. To my surprise he was unable to do so. CSM mentioned the system changed about 6 months ago. I didn't even get the chance to select debit or pin before having invalid payment type error. What's changed, new GC type needed?
Loaded 6 $100 dollar metas from OfficeMax on to the card at Kate today and no issues.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:44 am

probably it is the CSM rept issue.

I just loaded 2.5K in my gobank account through Kate one week ago. No issue at all.

Originally Posted by JohnnyAppleSale
I still have an open card but haven't loaded in awhile (6 mths+) due to Redbird and disinterest of WM. Recently, I tried unloading a $500 VGC from charlie victor sierra at WM with CSM that recalled me from BB, thankfully, and knew how to load. To my surprise he was unable to do so. CSM mentioned the system changed about 6 months ago. I didn't even get the chance to select debit or pin before having invalid payment type error. What's changed, new GC type needed?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:40 pm

Hi, can I use ACH from Ally to Gobank to avoid the monthly fee? Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by zyqnc
Hi, can I use ACH from Ally to Gobank to avoid the monthly fee? Thanks!
For the better part of this year I have done $500 ACH from checking and it has qualified as the dd, thus waiving the fee. My only advice is initiate the ACH early enough because it takes long time to post.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:18 am

Great! Thanks!

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
For the better part of this year I have done $500 ACH from checking and it has qualified as the dd, thus waiving the fee. My only advice is initiate the ACH early enough because it takes long time to post.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 4:50 pm

Anyone having problems logging in to GoBank's website? It says "we are experiencing technical difficulties" when I try logging in.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by compddd
Anyone having problems logging in to GoBank's website? It says "we are experiencing technical difficulties" when I try logging in.
just tried after reading your post and got in quickly.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 5:27 pm

How do I know if they closed my account? I never received any communication from them stating they closed it. I've had my account since 2013.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by compddd
How do I know if they closed my account? I never received any communication from them stating they closed it. I've had my account since 2013.
Perhaps you can call, send them a message, or write a letter and mail to them?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:13 pm

Tried calling but it seems like they have no option to talk to a live person.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:45 pm

I just noticed my debit card expired in 05/15 and they never sent me a new one. Could that be reason you think? I emailed them.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:15 pm

Try to load Gobank card both at Kate and CS at Walmart, not working with the Metabank VGC. Maybe the serve's problem.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:47 am

I've had my GB for years now, and it's been inactive most of that time. I just checked my account, I've got $5 in there, and I haven't been charged any monthly fees. Did I get grandfathered to a no-fee card? Will it stay like this for as long as I have it?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:10 pm

When I signed up for the card last year, I got to decide how much I wanted to pay for the monthly fee. I went with $1 and it has been like that ever since. So I would guess yours stays as a no-fee card as well.

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I've had my GB for years now, and it's been inactive most of that time. I just checked my account, I've got $5 in there, and I haven't been charged any monthly fees. Did I get grandfathered to a no-fee card? Will it stay like this for as long as I have it?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:18 pm

Does a GB have any advantages at all over a Serve/BB? Back when WM accepted Vanilla, I got the GB thinking I would scale up, but now that Vanilla is no longer accepted and I acquired more RB (soon to be converted to Serve), I won't do that much MS. Any reason to use the GB if I'll have more than enough limit on my Serves?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.