Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by kjgco
The $2K rule applies to all cards loaded in a particular time window.
Originally Posted by atanac
I had the kiosk lock up while attempting to load the fourth $500 GC. First two at $500 each went smoothly for my GB card.
Then I was able to add another $500 on my friend's GB card with no issue. When I tried to add the final card it locked up so
it wasn't an issue with trying to go over $2000. The WM clerk just keyed in some magic numbers and I finished the transaction.

There is certainly a glitch in the programming because on a few occasions there have been people waiting in line after me to
use the kiosk. They would have never gotten to first base after I finished my loads.
Correct - look back to earlier in the thread. They use a load and time proximity algorithm on the assumption that rapid loading is a fraud risk and that a fraudster wouldn't be as simple as to only have 1 card.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
As a side note all of these deposits from Saturday still show as pending on the GoBank website today.
Usually the pending notification disappears the next day. Is this normal for a Saturday transaction? This is
the first time I have ever deposited on a weekend.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by atanac
As a side note all of these deposits from Saturday still show as pending on the GoBank website today.
Usually the pending notification disappears the next day. Is this normal for a Saturday transaction? This is
the first time I have ever deposited on a weekend.
Normal. The same for me. They are not fast to settle transactions. I only load on weekends...
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
You can make a hat, or a brooch...
A pterodactyl.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Originally Posted by starflyer
I bought one thinking I could deposit into an existing GoBank account, but it seems that GoBank no longer supports this deposit mechanism. Are there any ways to conver this to cash without setting up a new account (requiring address, SSN, etc.) somewhere with another vendor? Since this is a one-time deal, I don't mind a small transaction fee. Thank you.
???
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by pier11
If you know some FTer who trust you, sell him/her at discount.
Refund will likely take time. If it'd be that easy, everyone did just that.
My last refund took about 2 weeks. It's because GD blacklisted the prepaid card I tried to reload to.

If someone cannot survive 2 weeks without $500, he should not even get into this MP game.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:05 am

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by floressalicis
I was unable to load the GB card today with about 3 different Chase GCs that I was able to buy money orders with/load BB. This was in Philly. It came back saying something to the effect of payment form not accepted. Not sure if this is just my ineptness as it was my first time with both the kiosk and the GB card and I was juggling 13 different GCs.
As a follow up, I realized today while checking something else on my GB account that I forgot to activate my GB debit card. Which probably explains why I couldn't load it at Walmart. I'm an idiot. Apologies for the false alarm. I really need to get more sleep.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by balima
A pterodactyl.
I knew somebody would get it.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:01 pm

Damn. Just got the shut down email sent by GB. didn't even make it to the close of my second statement.

7k load in the statement cycle ending on 7/24. 5k so far since 7/25. I tried to follow cashback's pattern and even mixed with ~10 small purchases. Never load < 200 (mostly 600 or 1000) in a single load to minimize the number of loads .

The email appears in my spam box, sent by [email protected], titled "GoBank: Account Activity" (assuming it's legit):

Hi,
We always monitor activity on GoBank, and we've noticed irregular activity on your account. This activity doesn't line up with the intended use of GoBank. For this reason, we've flagged your account to be closed.
Please spend the remaining money on your account using your debit card, bill pay or by withdrawing money from an ATM. Once you've spent that money, your account will be fully closed.
As of right now, you will not be able to make any additional deposits to your account. You are no longer eligible to open accounts with GoBank or Green Dot Bank.
--The GoBank Crew
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by guoguo914
Damn. Just got the shut down email sent by GB. didn't even make it to the close of my second statement.

7k load in the statement cycle ending on 7/24. 5k so far since 7/25. I tried to follow cashback's pattern and even mixed with ~10 small purchases. Never load < 200 (mostly 600 or 1000) in a single load to minimize the number of loads .

The email appears in my spam box, sent by [email protected], titled "GoBank: Account Activity" (assuming it's legit):

Hi,
We always monitor activity on GoBank, and we've noticed irregular activity on your account. This activity doesn't line up with the intended use of GoBank. For this reason, we've flagged your account to be closed.
Please spend the remaining money on your account using your debit card, bill pay or by withdrawing money from an ATM. Once you've spent that money, your account will be fully closed.
As of right now, you will not be able to make any additional deposits to your account. You are no longer eligible to open accounts with GoBank or Green Dot Bank.
--The GoBank Crew
How were you cashing out?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by smitty06
He had a condo on his wrist...
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by smitty06
Quote:

7k load in the statement cycle ending on 7/24. 5k so far since 7/25. I tried to follow cashback's pattern and even mixed with ~10 small purchases. Never load &lt; 200 (mostly 600 or 1000) in a single load to minimize the number of loads .

The email appears in my spam box, sent by [email protected], titled &quot;GoBank: Account Activity&quot; (assuming it's legit):

Hi,
--The GoBank Crew

Billpay
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Billpay
GB gets on my nerves. I'll keep it as long as I can. But, I got my gf to sign up for another BB that I'm going to run. I'm going to run 2 BBs and do much less on this card. The bill pay takes forever when compared to BB anyway. I'm going to use it for swipes and atm access if the fees are decent. I hope we get one free withdrawal a month.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
GB gets on my nerves. I'll keep it as long as I can. But, I got my gf to sign up for another BB that I'm going to run. I'm going to run 2 BBs and do much less on this card. The bill pay takes forever when compared to BB anyway. I'm going to use it for swipes and atm access if the fees are decent. I hope we get one free withdrawal a month.
BB is definitely a more superior and reliable product. I doubt that swipes are necessary as demonstrated by GB. I use them for redbox though.

I can't figure out how GB is going to take over the online banking business with a BP system so awful, low wdl/transaction limits and and no check books. They have been generating a lot of press though.

Maybe their target market doesn't care about these things.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
account closed today

I got the marching order today as well, precisely 31 days!

I loaded using GC moderately, with a few swipes here and there at Walmart and Aldi which is next door. Unloading was done only using Billpay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.