Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I do signature transactions, I think they get more money for those so that will make them happy.
forgive my ignorance, but can you control wither you do a signature or pin transaction? Does a signature transaction occur when you do a "credit" transaction?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:36 am

I noticed the same thing last night after offloading HIGC at WM. I thought it was odd but I didn't worry about it since my balance was correct.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Check now.. It was messed up yesterday for me.. Looks ok now..
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:48 am

I do signature transactions, I think they get more money for those so that will make them happy.
Hehehe, I should have done that since WM GC -> VISA GC works fine @ my WM (WM GC because I don't necessarily have to put large amount at once @ self-checkout). I got greedy since using the GB Debit/Credit won't earn me anything. I did pay Verizon & Comcast for less than $5/month with GB (rest of the bills were paid with Ink).

Originally Posted by Buckaroo123
forgive my ignorance, but can you control wither you do a signature or pin transaction? Does a signature transaction occur when you do a "credit" transaction?
Since my account got closed, can't remember...but isn't debit the default? So, you just hit cancel for the debit and switch to credit automatically?

Last edited by vagrants; Aug 2, 2013 at 7:57 am
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by pier11
It was always a question for me. I do see such thing as normal purchase. In transaction list or in statement. (Not necesseraly with regard to this debit card). And might think the issuer has no idea.
Wereas if amount of CB is limited on the card (monthly cup for example), then I won't be able go get more than that. (Or in extreme example - if no CB/CA on card at all, I won't be able to get it at all). Appears the issues pretty much knows how card was used.
So the question is - if CB-involved transaction help anything?...
I think the issuer knows or can find out if they wish about cashback at a POS because VISA/MC GCs can block it.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by vagrants
Since my account got closed, can't remember...but isn't debit the default? So, you just hit cancel for the debit and switch to credit automatically?
Well, for normal purchases I think credit is used by default. I'm never asked for pin when I bought coffee or other fast food item.
With exception of places that take only debit cards. Like some super discounted grocery stores.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by pier11
Well, for normal purchases I think credit is used by default. I'm never asked for pin when I bought coffee or other fast food item.
With exception of places that take only debit cards. Like some super discounted grocery stores.
Bummer. That complicates the matter a little, but I assume it's hackable.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Hehehe, I should have done that since WM GC -> VISA GC works fine @ my WM (WM GC because I don't necessarily have to put large amount at once @ self-checkout). I got greedy since using the GB Debit/Credit won't earn me anything. I did pay Verizon & Comcast for less than $5/month with GB (rest of the bills were paid with Ink).

Let me make sure I understand, you buy wm gc with gb? PM me if you must. I'm a bit confused.

Also, I used Ink for all of those bills that I earn 5x points on.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:56 am

Let me make sure I understand, you buy wm gc with gb? PM me if you must. I'm a bit confused.

Also, I used Ink for all of those bills that I earn 5x points on.
Yes, buy WM GC with GB card @ self-checkout (max $250/transaction @self-checkout. @full register...don't know the limit but can go above $250) to stay under the radar (showing some kind of uses other than BillPay). I paid some utilities, so that they get some benefits from my GB card uses. $10/month ($5 Verizon/month, $5 Comcast/month) wasn't enough apparently. I'm lucky enough to have a CC that earns points @ WM more than 1x as a grocery category, so I would do like buy $100 of WM GC with GB then top it out with CC ($400) then turn around buy University VISA with the WM GC.

Last edited by vagrants; Aug 2, 2013 at 11:06 am
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:13 am
jk2

Yes, buy WM GC with GB card @ self-checkout (max $250/transaction @self-checkout. @full register...don't know the limit but can go above $250) to stay under the radar (showing some kind of uses other than BillPay). I paid some utilities, so that they get some benefits from my GB card uses. $10/month ($5 Verizon/month, $5 Comcast/month) wasn't enough apparently. I'm lucky enough to have a CC that earns points @ WM more than 1x as a grocery category, so I would do like buy $100 of WM GC with GB then top it out with CC ($400) then turn around buy University VISA with the WM GC.
I probably missing something - why do you purchase WM gcs with GB and then buy Visa GC using wm gc? What is the benefit?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by jk2
I probably missing something - why do you purchase WM gcs with GB and then buy Visa GC using wm gc? What is the benefit?
Sigh...it's already written:...stay under a radar...(showing some kind of uses other than BillPay).

It's not for you. Just keep maxing on everything since seem to have no concept of give and take.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
What card are you referencing? Is it a big national credit union card?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:49 pm

I'm on the phone with a GB rep about some missing money, and she says that a few days ago they implemented a new policy to not allow gift cards with PINs. Yikes! I know a lot of you got shut down, but for those of you with GBs still open - have a backup plan.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Anybody has any issues depositing MOs using the mobile app recently?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by jmccon2
I'm on the phone with a GB rep about some missing money, and she says that a few days ago they implemented a new policy to not allow gift cards with PINs. Yikes! I know a lot of you got shut down, but for those of you with GBs still open - have a backup plan.
I recently loaded a GC with a PIN two days ago onto my GoBank card and the money is there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.