Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:00 pm

So I hit up a new WM today that is actually closer to me than my usual (but less convenient because its in a different direction to my usual destinations).

I used a Kiosk to try and load my GD and it just sat on "Processing" after I swiped my card and entered in the $500 amount. I tried it a few times using both the WM and GD card options. Sat for a few mins, then asked me if I wanted to continue....I just said no as I've never had success on hangs like that.

I then successfully loaded $1K on my BB. Tired both mine and my wife's GD again a couple times and had the same issue. On one attempt I said yes to continue and it came back with some message like "not authorized" and had $0.00 on the finish and pay screen.

I've had issues like this with the kiosk before...but in those cases it wouldn't even load my BB - some sort of issue that just gets resolved when I go back the next time.

This one has me worried though since it loaded my BB, but wouldn't do my GD. I logged into our GD accounts and everything looks ok with them.

Do you think this was just a transient issue or something is going on with GD reloads or maybe my account?

I'll be hitting my regular WM up this weekend... last weekend the kiosk was down, so I'm hoping that I'm not getting stuck on all sides here.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by dogbyte
Most of the people shut down by Gobank have done more than 5k/month.
A lot have done way less than 5K and been shut down.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by BenH
So I hit up a new WM today that is actually closer to me than my usual (but less convenient because its in a different direction to my usual destinations).

I used a Kiosk to try and load my GD and it just sat on "Processing" after I swiped my card and entered in the $500 amount. I tried it a few times using both the WM and GD card options. Sat for a few mins, then asked me if I wanted to continue....I just said no as I've never had success on hangs like that.

I then successfully loaded $1K on my BB. Tired both mine and my wife's GD again a couple times and had the same issue. On one attempt I said yes to continue and it came back with some message like "not authorized" and had $0.00 on the finish and pay screen.

I've had issues like this with the kiosk before...but in those cases it wouldn't even load my BB - some sort of issue that just gets resolved when I go back the next time.

This one has me worried though since it loaded my BB, but wouldn't do my GD. I logged into our GD accounts and everything looks ok with them.

Do you think this was just a transient issue or something is going on with GD reloads or maybe my account?

I'll be hitting my regular WM up this weekend... last weekend the kiosk was down, so I'm hoping that I'm not getting stuck on all sides here.
The kiosk nearest my home does this. I have never been able to load GB there. Don't worry. Its not your account. I am able to load at other kiosks that I frequent.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:13 pm

People are very happy with BB and their 5k/month limit. Most of the people shut down by Gobank have done more than 5k/month. Just because they don't have a limit doesn't mean they will look the other way. It would have been better if they had set a limit instead of just closing down accounts.

Secondly, the daily load limit is 2.5k. To push through 40k, it would take more than 2 weeks of loading the max every day. Gobank does shutdowns periodically and it wouldn't surprise me if you get shutdown before you reach your 40k or even a much lesser amount. So yes, you are missing something.
I don't understand...is the point of manufactured spend to keep you account open as long as possible or to get as many points as possible...at 2 grand a month it'll take A YEAR for $24000 in loads OR you can do that in 2-4 weeks, potentially get shut down and then move on...You see what I mean?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by michael21
I don't understand...is the point of manufactured spend to keep you account open as long as possible or to get as many points as possible...at 2 grand a month it'll take A YEAR for $24000 in loads OR you can do that in 2-4 weeks, potentially get shut down and then move on...You see what I mean?
^^^
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by cashback
A lot have done way less than 5K and been shut down.
All the people in the Wiki that got closed down have done more than 5k. I haven't followed this thread daily, but I only saw one person report getting shutdown for less than 5k and that was his GF or something for loading $800. I don't know your secret as to why your account is still open and I wish someone would crack the code.

I don't know what the threshold is. Maybe there is none, but my account is still open and I've loaded between 4.5k and 5k for the past 2 months.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
deleted

Last edited by mintcilantro; Aug 8, 2013 at 10:37 am Reason: TMI
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:58 pm

All the people in the Wiki that got closed down have done more than 5k. I haven't followed this thread daily, but I only saw one person report getting shutdown for less than 5k and that was his GF or something for loading $800. I don't know your secret as to why your account is still open and I wish someone would crack the code.

I don't know what the threshold is. Maybe there is none, but my account is still open and I've loaded between 4.5k and 5k for the past 2 months.
Thats my point. Why try to guess at some imaginary "safe" number that you dont even know exists?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by smitty06
The kiosk nearest my home does this. I have never been able to load GB there. Don't worry. Its not your account. I am able to load at other kiosks that I frequent.
+1. I have the same issue at a particular WM Express, but the next closest is no problem at all. Something goofy with the kiosk.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
+1. I have the same issue at a particular WM Express, but the next closest is no problem at all. Something goofy with the kiosk.
Should I take the MDW to mean you fly out of Midway? This particular WM was also an express in downtown Chi

I wonder if it is an issue with all Express kiosks? Not really sure why they would configure them differently though...
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BenH
Should I take the MDW to mean you fly out of Midway? This particular WM was also an express in downtown Chi

I wonder if it is an issue with all Express kiosks? Not really sure why they would configure them differently though...
I used to, ORD now. And I no longer commute

The one that doesn't work for me is under the El in a former art supply store. It's not an issue with Express kiosks, just that Express kiosk.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:09 am

You guys... michael21, cashback, mintcilantro, dogbyte, have just worked me up into a tizzy. Frothing at the mouth for points. I was set to take today off and not hit up the usual places. I've been doing that every day for the past two weeks! Now I am ready to go. Use every card at my disposal, load the maximum, milk each exploit.

Rule #1 - If you don't want to earn points, don't read about em!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
I used to, ORD now. And I no longer commute

The one that doesn't work for me is under the El in a former art supply store. It's not an issue with Express kiosks, just that Express kiosk.
Same issue with one E kiosk about 4 miles north of it.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by michael21
+1.463523 million
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
The force is strong with this one.

Last edited by TheDapperDon; Aug 8, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.