Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by greek2me
I was also prev shutdown by GD and tried but was not able to get a WM Moneycard Preferred personalized card.
I bought it at WM. When tried to register online it said it could not verify my personal info and no personalized card would be sent. Called in , got automated message saying my personal info could not be verified so my card can only be used for purchases and cannot be reloaded, and that a CSR will have no further info on why this is the case.
Got my WM Preferred personalized card in the mail today, called in to activate it but was told they cannot because of unusual activity. I explained I haven't done anything but the initial load of $20 but they said there was nothing they could do at this point. I checked my account activity online since they kept mentioning unusual activity and there is nothing but the $20 I used to activate it. I put up a fuss about my purchase fee and they said they would refund it as well.
They also asked whether I had another card with them, so I was afraid my GB triggered something but just logged in and its fine (for now).
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
So it seems that everyone is reporting that GB will pull the plug eventually.

Does anyone have a working GB for MF that is still open after many months??
My wife's is still active since May. I've moved about 15k through it, but I slowed down and have only done about $2k in the past 2 months.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:51 pm

Programs: United MP, American AAdvantage, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Just checked in today and my account is closed. Have only $48.00 in it. Was planning to load 2.5K tomorrow.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:35 am

I've been doing $2-3K per month, for 3+ months and I'm still alive.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:09 am

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Still alive...

Doing less than $2k a month on mine and wife since May ,all bill pay same day...so far so good...
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:42 am

Same as those above...wife and me each do between $1500-3000 a month for the past 4-5 months. Billpay out - not necessarily next day - but don't let balance get above $1500 or so.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by BenH
Same as those above...wife and me each do between $1500-3000 a month for the past 4-5 months. Billpay out - not necessarily next day - but don't let balance get above $1500 or so.
Are people still using the Walmart Kiosk as the loading mechanism for these?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I'm open, but I haven't used it since I activated another BB. I'll probably use it a bit more starting in January.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by michael21
Are people still using the Walmart Kiosk as the loading mechanism for these?
exclusively
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:07 pm

exclusively
I've actually loaded at the MC a few times.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:36 pm

My mortgage payment is $25XX, so it looks like the $2600 daily limit is exactly what I need. Do you think I risk shutdown if I am only loading 1 time each month at WM using my Alaska Airline debit card to pay mortgage?

Also do I load it at the WM kiosk machine or Money Center? My experience with loading Bluebird is that any transaction above $500 needs to be done at MC (prompted on the kiosk screen).
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
exclusively
They took the kiosk out of my local walmart. I think folks were greedy and printing out tens of thousands of dollars of money orders. Messed up the gravy train for everyone.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
They took the kiosk out of my local walmart. I think folks were greedy and printing out tens of thousands of dollars of money orders. Messed up the gravy train for everyone.
WM *likes* to sell MOs. That's why they sell them.

I doubt that's the reason for the disappearance of your kiosk.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:19 pm

Any ideas how hard I can hit Walmart Preferred card?
Should I keep same cautions as for GoBank card?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by groundhog
Any ideas how hard I can hit Walmart Preferred card?
Should I keep same cautions as for GoBank card?
I think this card is new enough that people likely don't know. Perhaps you should find out by trying and let us know.

I'd also suggest starting a new thread as we don't need to clutter this thread with questions related to accounts other than GB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.