Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:59 am
jk2

Originally Posted by greek2me
I was also prev shutdown by GD and tried but was not able to get a WM Moneycard Preferred personalized card.
I bought it at WM. When tried to register online it said it could not verify my personal info and no personalized card would be sent. Called in , got automated message saying my personal info could not be verified so my card can only be used for purchases and cannot be reloaded, and that a CSR will have no further info on why this is the case.
Were you able to cash out the card via MO or Bill payment?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by jk2
Were you able to cash out the card via MO or Bill payment?
No, because I am unable to set up a PIN, so credit purchases only.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 2:39 pm

Can someone please tell me how to load moneypak onto GB? Not initial load. I couldn't find this info anywhere. Thank you
Old Nov 1, 2013, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by travellingdoc1121
Can someone please tell me how to load moneypak onto GB? Not initial load. I couldn't find this info anywhere. Thank you
You cant anymore.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:03 pm

thanks... guess i should jump on other ship like emerald
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:38 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by greek2me
No, because I am unable to set up a PIN, so credit purchases only.
I was able to set up a PIN by the phone. As you, I wasn't able to get a petsonalized card because of closed gobank account. These morons even asked me to fax them DL and SSN in order to unfroze temp card. Anyway, I was able to use this temp card to load BB today at WM.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by pier11
My understanding that Rapid Reload is WM's system that loads prepaid cards - many different cards (HR Block, Account Now, MyVanilla, etc. etc.) for 3.74 fee. My guessing that GB is also gets loaded via that system, but fees are 0.

So again beauty of the Preferred card is that load fees are 0. Compared to any other version - about $3+ for reload.
Can you load Preferred card using a debit card?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 5:12 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by groundhog
Can you load Preferred card using a debit card?
You should at WM. Same as GB or BB. For free.
I mean permanent version of it. For those who is not blacklisted by GD and can get it.

Also temp card could be loaded initially on purchase.

Anyway your risk is $6. Write it off to your entertaining budget.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by jk2
I was able to set up a PIN by the phone. As you, I wasn't able to get a petsonalized card because of closed gobank account. These morons even asked me to fax them DL and SSN in order to unfroze temp card. Anyway, I was able to use this temp card to load BB today at WM.
Thanks for the info. I saw there was an option to just close the account online and get a check for balance, so I did that instead. Check supposed to come in 10 biz days.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:24 am

So it seems that everyone is reporting that GB will pull the plug eventually.

Does anyone have a working GB for MF that is still open after many months??
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6

I opened GB in May and it is still open.

I have rarely used it though (may be around $500-1000 load per month).
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6

Yes but I've used mine sparingly compared to others.
June: $500
Aug: 2k
Sept: 4.5k
Oct: 2k
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:59 am

has anyone gotten an account closure check from greendot before? It appears that a check from northern trust is from them....not sure though. they are closed right now.
this was a greendot prepaid but I assume it is all the same when accounts are closed. the amount matches up to a pending payment that was going to go thru when the closed the account.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:12 am

I purchased some groceries and asked for cash back (Green Dot card). On my statement, GD doesn't seem to indicate that I got cash back. Maybe this is a better way to unload (although it is painfully slow)?

I searched the thread but couldn't find anything. Sorry if repost.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by Silverthunder
I purchased some groceries and asked for cash back (Green Dot card). On my statement, GD doesn't seem to indicate that I got cash back. Maybe this is a better way to unload (although it is painfully slow)?

I searched the thread but couldn't find anything. Sorry if repost.
Was discussed at some point of time, that even though YOU don't see any difference from regular purchase, issuer pretty much can tell so - how otherwise they'd limit daily amount of available cashback on some cards....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.