Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:42 am

If your "Bill Pay" option is grayed out then they will send you a refund check within ~10 days.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by donnoyet
saw the dreadful screen that my account was closed today

Any one tried to ACH pull to do bill pay after account closure to empty their accnts?

thanks

Sorry to hear that, what was your loading patterns?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Shut down this morning after 2 months. Oh well, was using this to load all the Chase gift cards so no big loss. Still have the Wife's account for now.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:22 pm

Have we recognized any pattern yet as to *when* an account gets shut down?
I mean I know they *why* is kind of all over the place - as some people are still around with seemingly the same load/unload behavior.

But, for those getting shut down - is it happening like right when you have done a load or unload, or...?

I believe I read that at least one person was shut down in the middle of loading cards (i.e. they loaded one or two fine, and then got denied for more).

Trying to determine if it is more likely a real-time process flagging accounts, or some sort of weekly/monthly report review...

A real-time closure seems very strange, but I suppose it can "lock" the account for manual review and then they decide to close it.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by BenH
Have we recognized any pattern yet as to *when* an account gets shut down?
I mean I know they *why* is kind of all over the place - as some people are still around with seemingly the same load/unload behavior.

But, for those getting shut down - is it happening like right when you have done a load or unload, or...?

I believe I read that at least one person was shut down in the middle of loading cards (i.e. they loaded one or two fine, and then got denied for more).

Trying to determine if it is more likely a real-time process flagging accounts, or some sort of weekly/monthly report review...

A real-time closure seems very strange, but I suppose it can "lock" the account for manual review and then they decide to close it.
My suspicion is that this is currently being done with periodic sweeps, and not yet automated. Most likely is they look for total loaded as a 1st flag, then look for unloads. There are exceptions reported and it could be as little as separating cash loads from debit loads. (How many 'real' customers do debit loads?).

So for me the only guide is hit it hard as you will be shutdown for MS and if you keep your MS so low as to try to fly under the radar it becomes pointless (literally).
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
[QUOTE=rdover1;21509807]My suspicion is that this is currently being done with periodic sweeps, and not yet automated. Most likely is they look for total loaded as a 1st flag, then look for unloads. There are exceptions reported and it could be as little as separating cash loads from debit loads. (How many 'real' customers do debit loads?).

So for me the only guide is hit it hard as you will be shutdown for MS and if you keep your MS so low as to try to fly under the radar it becomes pointless (literally).[/QUOTE]

I see what you did there.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:10 pm

I was shut down today as well. I loaded $10,000 over a four week period, all $500 gift cards from Chase, all loaded at WalMart.

I had three bill pays - two to Chase and one to AmEx.

I was certain I was going to be shut down, and I was just wondering when it would be. I figure it was fun while it lasted!
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: United MP, American AAdvantage, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Where are you people loading your GB at WM, the kiosk or checkout? My local WM kiosk in seems to updated their GUI since the last time i used it back in July. The left icons now show WM MoneyCard, Bluebird, phone card, but NO GREENDOT. Do you ppl have that?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by vfdfs2
Where are you people loading your GB at WM, the kiosk or checkout? My local WM kiosk in seems to updated their GUI since the last time i used it back in July. The left icons now show WM MoneyCard, Bluebird, phone card, but NO GREENDOT. Do you ppl have that?
You can hit the Moneycard button and it'll work just fine.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
5th card shut down tonight in our family! Mine, wife, 2 sons and D.I.L. In 4 months, we each ran about 20K through the cards, so about 100K total, and much of that in 5X categories, so...probably close to half a mil points through GB. It was a fun ride, now on to the next big thing...

And btw, I agree to just hit it as hard as you can, 'cuz you definitely will be shut down!
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
5th card shut down tonight in our family! Mine, wife, 2 sons and D.I.L. In 4 months, we each ran about 20K through the cards, so about 100K total, and much of that in 5X categories, so...probably close to half a mil points through GB. It was a fun ride, now on to the next big thing...

And btw, I agree to just hit it as hard as you can, 'cuz you definitely will be shut down!
Which card did you use to get 5X? I am asking where.. just which card...
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:49 pm

i was shut down without ever having really taken anything out

signed in tonight to see i was closed. wow. i hate the way this company operates. i called them a bit after i first opened and told them that when i was learning about the account, a lot of the google search was about accounts being closed for what the people said was no reason, so i was concerned. told them that i am renovating an investment property and will be paying contractors out of it, and that the total renovations will be around 20-25k. i didn't want my money frozen or something when i needed to pay someone. was assured that wouldn't be a problem. they put it in the notes on my account.

anyway, i never pulled out anything except a couple $100-200 ATM w/d to make it look legit and a few small purchases. loaded about 15k in 6 weeks and, boom- closed.

i thought i'd fly under the radar because of no big w/d's and zero billpay. WRONG.

so the lesson, again, is: hit it as hard as you can. i'm guessing when their software sees all the walmart deposits, they auto kill.

shame, i liked the product and, if it had physical checks, i would have used it as a regular account. the price was certainly right at zero, and the ms would have been awesome.

i'm guessing some of my relatives may become interested in the account and hit it like a soul-less ginger step child until the inevitable closure.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
i thought i'd fly under the radar because of no big w/d's and zero billpay. WRONG...i'm guessing when their software sees all the walmart deposits, they auto kill.
I agree, I'm thinking it is mostly the amount of loads. Or at least that is one way to get shutdown.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:13 pm

Wife's card closed at kiosk after one BB Visa loaded but before I could load another four. logged in on phone to see the dreaded screen. Her account? Less than 3k loaded all via kiosk. all cashed out via ATM. Few transactions at -4 for beverages while I was hitting up the ATM and also buying beans.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 5:41 pm

if this thing can't be loaded neither online nor at wally v/beans/GCs, it is quite useless for MS.

so yeah, hit it hard while you can. Wham, bam, thank you, ma'am.

Last edited by MaineCoon; Sep 28, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.