Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2013, 3:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
With Chase GCs coming to an end,... it sounds like the kami kazi approach with green dot might be a match made in heavy. Any thoughts here? Should still be able to bill pay out if closed, or check to self?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:17 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
I'm really interested to see how this next month goes... with everyone (including myself) hitting the Chase GCs hard I'm sure that GB will see a huge increase in action. Thinking it will probably be logical to just float the GCs as long as I can and slowly liquidate over time. Of course... who knows if that will keep me alive!
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:21 am

Anyone successful in getting a second card after shutdown? Share how please.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by drdrew450
Anyone successful in getting a second card after shutdown? Share how please.
Only through a relatives permission to use their SSN.??
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: ALL :)
Originally Posted by glynot
I did an ACH pull to pay off a Citi card on 9/4 and the payment posted but I still haven't seen this reflected in my GB account. I understand if it takes a few days but it's been over a week. Anyone seen this happen before? Should I be worried?
Yes they probably blocked the payment
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:24 pm

Another one bites the dust.

Closed midway through my second month (WHILE I WAS LOADING AT WM KIOSK).

Total load since 8/7/13: $4,800.00 all GCs $500 or $200. All withdrawals at Allpoint ATMs - $100.00 - $400.00 a day. 2-3 swipes < $15 total. Paid $1 for second month voluntarily.

I'm beginning to suspect that the shutdowns might be related to loading with so many debit cards with different numbers. Being shut down mid-statement seems odd. I would typically load $500-1500 in one day, then unload over 1-4 days after via ATM.

I've been using the wife's card just as hard. Looks like I'll be hitting it as hard as I can over the next week to see how much I can load before the hammer comes down again.

I loved this card because I could buy cash equivalents and then use the ATM to get some much needed cash. My CVS also had an allpoint ATM - that was just silly

Has anyone had any luck calling them to ask why?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by busymike
...I'm beginning to suspect that the shutdowns might be related to loading with so many debit cards with different numbers...
I doubt GB side sees payment method used in WM. For them it's just "cash reload".
WM processes payments with all available means and then direct payment via some prepaid reload system to the recierient. As I understand.

If course several 500 reloads in row might look abnormal enough to GB to just shut account.

Another point. Interesting that they did not even like pure ATM-style pattern. As it has nothing to do with the washing stuff. No money settled/transfered in/to any account. Wierd people
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:45 pm

closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 6:08 pm

Called GB support. Was told my "this was a company decision based on your low spend and how the card wasn't being used as it was designed."

Surprised the rep added the part about low spend. I'm wondering if its even possible to load more than 5k/month and stay open if you give them a lot of spend. I wonder how much spend would be needed.

I'm also wondering if, since GoBank is FDIC backed, there are other regulations they also follow that should prevent them from closing bank accounts without specifics given. For almost all of us, we're using the allowed and promoted features of the account. If they decide to change the rules or place limits on load/withdraw, shouldn't they be obligated to tell us this?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by busymike
Called GB support. Was told my "this was a company decision based on your low spend and how the card wasn't being used as it was designed."

Surprised the rep added the part about low spend. I'm wondering if its even possible to load more than 5k/month and stay open if you give them a lot of spend. I wonder how much spend would be needed.

I'm also wondering if, since GoBank is FDIC backed, there are other regulations they also follow that should prevent them from closing bank accounts without specifics given. For almost all of us, we're using the allowed and promoted features of the account. If they decide to change the rules or place limits on load/withdraw, shouldn't they be obligated to tell us this?
They can hide under the BSA since they claim they are a "bank" now.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:12 pm

Finally shut down today after 3 months. I just checked my total and it's $17k. No swipes, no monthly fee, all bill pay. I spaced loads to about $2500 every 2 weeks.

My wife's card is still in business, but my loads have been much less. Her total is around $11k over 3 months. I'm going to unload all CGC on hand as soon as possible before her shutdown.

I guess it's back to strictly MOs again.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:03 am

Programs: united 1k
so this is officially dead...
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:16 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by buhuffer
so this is officially dead...
Not for everyone. . A lot of us have just been lucky, I guess. 5k a month for 4 months and going strong. 1-2k loaded at a time, immediate bill pay out.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:04 am

ACH pull after account closure

saw the dreadful screen that my account was closed today

Any one tried to ACH pull to do bill pay after account closure to empty their accnts?

thanks
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by donnoyet
saw the dreadful screen that my account was closed today

Any one tried to ACH pull to do bill pay after account closure to empty their accnts?

thanks
What are the ways to get your money back? I have been reading so many pages but could find any info on what to do after the account closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.