Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by vagrants
This strategy is probably useless though since they know people are loading with real cash or debit since "RELOAD SWIPE - Deposit" shows up on the transaction. I never loaded with cash, so I don't know what it'll say; but I'm sure it's different from "RELOAD SWIPE - Deposit".
No split at kiosks. 3 cards max at the register (is it still true?) - the word was 4 swipes max per transaction - GB card + 3 debit cards. With cards I have available that's $1,500 per load and one nervous cashier.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:21 pm

Cool Be careful what you wish for, lest it come true.

I was kicked out, too. I put near $4k/month for 2 months. The amount is most likely a reason to flag, but I think how you load the GB account as well. A lot of GC loads (<$200 usually, there were a couple of near $500...usually 2x loads/day...)...,there was a DD, I used the card for a small amount once...maybe they didn't like the large amount cash outs by BillPay, too...I didn't pay the voluntary fee, by the way.

Called & talked with an agent playing dumb and cool. No recon and I'm banned for life at least for now. The agent said that we are a new product, so I may or may not be able to join in the future (I think I gave a good reason for the 'unusual activities'). Oh, yes, the agent said my account is in "Spend Down" mode. I can use the money however I like. Once the funds in my account reaches $0, the account gets closed. I scheduled a BillPay to one of CC company yesterday, and it's still pending...according to what the agent told me, it shouldn't be a problem. One more thing, the auto massage said that all calls are recorded, so make sure not to lose cool if you are gonna call.

Oh, well, maybe I get another account for my SO and try again. NOT.
Did you think of the proverb when you applauded other member getting adverse action? Why don't you bark again "You greedy people killed it!!!" LOL.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:28 pm

I just added a wiki. Feel free to add to it your experience.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by shel
Did you think of the proverb when you applauded other member getting adverse action? Why don't you bark again "You greedy people killed it!!!" LOL.
I didn't kill it, I got killed in this case. Can't you tell the difference?

Why can't you understand the reason why BCP got capped since you are implying the Blue Cash discussion. Abusing drugstore category kills the credit card, the lucrative part, instead of the process after the credit card. I got killed in the process after the credit card. Again, the magnitude is different (your argument about the OM deal with Ink). Since you couldn't tell the difference between permanent & temporary deal, I'm not surprised though.

If you say under $4k/month load spread across as many as CCs I have (>5) is greedy, then I'm guilty as charged. There is no denying that since that's what I did. Do you realize the difference here though? You spend $5k or whatever ($7k?) @ CVS with a single credit card. Me, >5 credit cards obtaining various x cashback/points, combined into one.

Please, stop trying to win an argument. If I see it one more time, yes, I'll hit ignore and don't care what you'll say.

Last edited by vagrants; Jun 28, 2013 at 4:02 pm
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
I never loaded with cash, so I don't know what it'll say; but I'm sure it's different from "RELOAD SWIPE - Deposit"
I did. One can not tell the difference how it's presented to us.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by Artemk
.... and one nervous cashier.

Exactly!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by pier11
I did. One can not tell the difference how it's presented to us.
Nice, then I make my move according to my plan
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:07 pm

I didn't kill it, I got killed in this case. Can't you tell the difference?

Why can't you understand the reason why BCP got capped since you are implying the Blue Cash discussion. Abusing drugstore category kills the credit card, the lucrative part, instead of the process after the credit card. I got killed in the process after the credit card. Again, the magnitude is different. Since you couldn't tell the difference between permanent & temporary deal, I'm not surprised though.

If you say under $4k/month load spread across as many as CCs I have (>5) is greedy, then I'm guilty as charged. There is no denying that since that's what I did. Do you realize the difference here though? You spend $5k or whatever ($7k?) @ CVS with a single credit card.

Please, stop trying to win an argument. If I see it one more time, yes, I'll hit ignore and don't care what you'll say.
Did I accuse anybody "greedy"? No. You were the one accusing.

Did I accuse anybody "killing it"? No. You were the one accusing.

Did I accuse anybody "abuse"? No. You were the one accusing.

And you continue. So you feel you are so "innocent" because you only moved $4k while you think those moved $7k are "guilty"?

Again, "Be careful what you wish for, lest it come true". I'm not trying to argue this or that, just felt the saying is so right.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:13 pm

And you continue. So you feel you are so "innocent" because you only moved $4k while you think those moved $7k are "guilty"?
You are missing the point. It's not the amount, how much you are 'moving' isn't the issue. It's the source of. What's your reason for spending $7k at CVS and CVS only? My reason for doing frequent <$200 load is trying to make look like a small business getting paid by customers and depositing into the GB. Since the amounts were not that much, I told the CSR this excuse, didn't buy it. So, they are not that forgiving about combining personal and a little of business. And, this $4k didn't come from CVS and CVS only (or one particular vender and one particular vender only) unlike you.

Again, "Be careful what you wish for, lest it come true". I'm not trying to argue this or that, just felt the saying is so right.
It's because you love to argue just for the sake of argument. This conversation doesn't even belong here, but you brought it up here. And, with the twisted logic, you love to think you won the arguments. And, you love to have a trophy over someone. You love to feel superior. You are comparing CC to PrePaid-like product, isn't it apples-oranges comparison? If I got shutdown with the Blue Cash, then and only then, you can imply what you are implying, can't you not? I think it's a system glitch, but aren't you the one who is having a problem getting 5% cashback from the $7k CVS purchase? I had a liquidation problem w the GB, instead of getting the cash backs from credit card companies. And, no, I didn't applaud. That's how you took it.

Well, doesn't matter. Good luck with what you do. And, thanks to you, I won't give any more ideas or try to help at least on this product. Since your GB account seems still open, please be the leader of the thread and lead them to where you don't know where you are taking them to.

Last edited by vagrants; Jun 28, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
thand rakho!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:29 pm

game over

2 accounts got closed today. loaded $7K last month ending 6/23. since then, loaded about $2K. All loads were GC at WM kiosk. mixed regular purchases with bill pay.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:44 pm

You are missing the point. It's not the amount, how much you are 'moving' isn't the issue. What's your reason for spending $7k at CVS and CVS only? My reason for doing frequent <$200 load is trying to make look like a small business getting paid by customers and depositing into the GB. And, this $4k didn't come from CVS and CVS only unlike you. And you are comparing CC to PrePaid-like product, isn't it apples-oranges comparison?

Well, doesn't matter. Good luck with what you do. And, thanks to you, I won't give any more ideas or try to help at least on this product.
You want to fake a small business? What a bad idea! That’s against GoBank T&C to begin with: (https://www.gobank.com/legal/)

“You may use the Services only for non-business, personal use in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.”

You applauded when other member got adverse action, and now you are getting it too. Fact has proven that you are neither smarter, nor more virtuous than some people you despise.

So good luck on you to continue feel “holier-than-thou”. And no one is forcing you to do anything, or not to do anything. Stop blaming others for what you choose. That's childish.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:57 pm

It's because you love to argue just for the sake of argument. This conversation doesn't even belong here, but you brought it up here. And, with the twisted logic, you love to think you won the arguments. And, you love to have a trophy over someone. You love to feel superior. You are comparing CC to PrePaid-like product, isn't it apples-oranges comparison? If I got shutdown with the Blue Cash, then and only then, you can imply what you are implying, can't you not? I think it's a system glitch, but aren't you the one who is having a problem getting 5% cashback from the $7k CVS purchase? I had a liquidation problem w the GB, instead of getting the cash backs from credit card companies.
Typical "a chief calls for catching a chief". You started applauding other people's suffering from adverse action. (here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20960847-post52.html and here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20960899-post54.html) Now it's your wish for more "justice" comes true to you.

Last edited by shel; Jun 28, 2013 at 5:07 pm
Old Jun 28, 2013, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by oohaahouch
thand rakho!
Indeed, Baalike, thand rakho. Did I get it right? I added to ignore list, so I'm not gonna see the replies. Hope that person gives real data instead of just arguments with T&C quotes. I've encounter this kind of person before, and it's pretty easy to read their next move. If T&C is all mighty, AMEX shouldn't be giving cashbacks for VR/GC/etc for example. And, I'm pretty sure that the person attacks my 'small business' strategy. I was aware of not mixing personal & business, but I wanted to know how forgiving they are since amounts aren't that much; and I assumed they are not that strict. I was proven wrong.

If I want show 'superiority' over someone, I would show my account isn't closed and churn is just working fine by revealing what I do. And, the churn has to be in a working order for 2 months since they allowed my behavior for the first month.

Last edited by vagrants; Jun 28, 2013 at 5:50 pm
Old Jun 28, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Im going to put 800 - 1000 tomorrow in GB. Lets see if i get closed.
I guess BB and MO continues while the small game comes and goes.
Next GB/Google Payment type schemes - i am going to go fast and hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.