Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:08 pm

Added my info to the Wiki. Why doesnt everyone do that, open or closed, it is still good info.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by cashback
Added my info to the Wiki. Why doesnt everyone do that, open or closed, it is still good info.
Done.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
I just opened the accounts and am under $3k in loads per account for June (MPs in, BP out)

Last edited by cuebert; Jun 29, 2013 at 6:28 pm
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:19 pm

28 last month. 42 this month. Mostly GCs, some MPs. All bill pay to CC.
Now I'm pissed. I'm considering fighting @ Twitter now. No, I wouldn't. Well, there goes my theory. ACH pull? DD?

Last edited by vagrants; Jun 29, 2013 at 6:24 pm
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants
Now I'm pissed. I'm considering fighting @ Twitter now.
Oh just give it a few days. Im sure Ill be on the sidelines with the rest of you.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:26 pm

ACH pull? DD?
Nope
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:34 pm

Oh just give it a few days. Im sure Ill be on the sidelines with the rest of you.
Maybe...maybe not. In any case, it'll be a good reference point until you get closed. There is/are something that I did they didn't like.

Nope
ACH pull then may be one of the trigger? (Can't remember who did what, sorry...I know some had problems setting up Barclay...) or something to do with how I used BillPay...
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:37 pm

ACH pull then may be one of the trigger?
Could be...
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:46 pm

raghu455 (closed) May 2k 4 loads, june 7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

Let's hear it from you! ACH pull, etc., etc. How did your account get closed? $7k = 14 loads, yes? No, MoneyPak loads?

Last edited by vagrants; Jun 29, 2013 at 7:18 pm
Old Jun 29, 2013, 7:44 pm

Could be...
How were your loading frequency? I did almost everyday or every other day 2x. Did you use multiple WMs to load? Kiosk only?

ACH isn't a part of the criteria apparently.

Oh, yes, when I was loading the GB w/ PrePaid, I encounter a problem. One of the PrePaid has a block on PIN transaction @ WM even @ a self-checkout. Only credit was allowed. I didn't know that, and I assumed PIN works everywhere. I got the error "DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE APPR. CODE = 51" @ the kiosk (still have the receipt, don't remember what the error was @ the register).

Last edited by vagrants; Jun 29, 2013 at 7:54 pm
Old Jun 29, 2013, 7:49 pm

How were your loading frequency? I did almost everyday or every other day 2x. Did you use multiple WMs to load? Kiosk only?

All kiosk one WM. Usually $2500 three or four times a week.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 7:52 pm

I think people are getting shut down after statements close. If you ust started or are mid cycle, you're probably fine until at least after statement posts. Has anyone actually been shutdown before a statement closed? I made it past the first statement fine... Shutdown after 2nd statement closed.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

I did zero ACHs - didn't trust them to work. Loaded 1-2 times weekly via kiosk, $2k max at a time. Highest balance was $6,050. Wrote two (two!) checks - one for $2k and the other for $5k.

Tomorrow I'll pick up a MO for $1,050 at WM to close out the account with these skeevy "people". I was going to leave a penny to annoy them, but I'd really like to just get away from them - I hope they forget they ever knew me. I genuinely believe they are just interested in screwing the poor and won't stand for someone taking advantage of them in the slightest manner.

Behind the folksy manner is an evil, evil company. And before you think I'm expressing sour grapes, I've got four other liquidation methods running right now so GB shutdown doesn't even dent the process. Their behavior towards us is a clear signal that they aim to take advantage of people. Repeat that early and often to everyone you know.

If you're on the fence about them, just contrast their behavior with Amex Bluebird.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by frogdog51
I think people are getting shut down after statements close. If you ust started or are mid cycle, you're probably fine until at least after statement posts. Has anyone actually been shutdown before a statement closed? I made it past the first statement fine... Shutdown after 2nd statement closed.
Thats a good guess. Mine closes on the 2nd..
Old Jun 29, 2013, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by frogdog51
My last statement closed June 1 and I got shut down on the 27th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.