Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Sorry about the delay, but here's what went on with the phone calls.

I called in on my card first, and got not much further than anyone else did. The front line agent simply stated my account was closed due to activity that was concerning on the card, and that while I could use the card to spend the remaining balance, I can't load anything else. I tried pushing on finding out what the concerning activity was, but the representative didn't budge beyond saying what I did violated the T&C's. I asked which specific T&C I breached, but he couldn't say, he just referred me to call back on Monday during regular business hours if I wanted to speak to someone who might be able to assist me in finding out which T&C I supposedly violated. I then hung up.

About thirty minutes later my girlfriend called in. She asked why her account was closed, and was given a similar response, "Your activity was concerning and irregular based upon the intended primary use of the card. Your violation of the T&C's caused compliance to deem your account eligible for closure, which it was." She too asked what specifically she did wrong, but the front line CSR wouldn't budge, she then asked to speak to a supervisor.

The supervisor came on a few minutes later, and immediately started out by stating everything the CSR had said. She then tried to plead her case with the supervisor saying how little she loaded onto and used the card. The supervisor then said that her $900 load was actually fairly large in the way of accounts that have been shut down. The supervisor told her that this morning she talked with multiple people who were shut down for account loads of less than $550. She never mentioned anything else about any other reasons for closures, and started to say there wasn't anything else she could do or explain. My girlfriend than told supervisor #1 "Fine, I'd like to speak to your supervisor than." Supervisor #1 was a little taken aback by the request, and tried stating that it may be a while before that would be possible, but my gf stated that would be fine. She reassured supervisor #1 that she appreciated the help, but wanted an answer.

About fifteen minutes later supervisor #2 comes on the line, and asks to be filled in on what's going on. After my gf is done telling him of the situation his first question is "Do you mind me asking, why did you continue to load more funds onto a card you still had plenty of funds on?" He was referring to the first $200 gc load after the initial $500 gc load. My girlfriend stated she had been paid and loaded additional money onto the card. He discussed how he didn't understand why she felt the need to load additional money on the card, once, let alone two separate times, when there was still a balance she wasn't spending. From the way the guy made it sound this was the cause for closure, I'm guessing loading funds while you still have on your card what GB deems plenty to cover your current expenditures. If this is the case they are definitely going after the lowest rungs of the under banked, those who spend their checking accounts down to nothing and wait for their next check (or direct deposit) for a reload. Supervisor #2 stated there was not much else he could do, but a call back in the morning to the compliance department might provide further answers if she still wanted to discuss the matter further. That was the end of the call.

I'd say this GreenDot product is basically living up to the reputation of all their other products.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
@TheChallenge,
thanks for posting. Great to have more inside on the matter.

Sounds pretty rediculous that GB/GDot wants to control how individual operates his/her account (load first and spend later or do so in smaller cycles), even under 1K balance. ... And especially allow itself close account. What a nonsense!
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by pier11
@TheChallenge,
+1, thanks for your post.

Well, my hopes are pretty low right now for this way of liquidating. I don't feel like trying to avoid creating patterns that nobody knows about. Will use it without any changes on my part - if I get shut down - so be it.

BTW, I was shutdown from GD Prepaid with under $1,000 loaded, so I am a bit surprised by GB account still works.

PS. (5 minutes later) - My account is closed. $6,700 loaded in first statement, another $4K since then. This was fun experience, especially with $100 cards from OM.

Time to move on.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
@TheChallenge,

Sounds pretty rediculous that GB/GDot wants to control how individual operates his/her account (load first and spend later or do so in smaller cycles), even under 1K balance. ... And especially allow itself close account. What a nonsense!
+1 - thank you @TheChallenge for sharing your conversations.

GB/GD has shown their real selves in these shutdowns. They want poor and/or financially inexperienced customers - people who can be had over and over again for fees. And if you show even a moderate amount of savviness, you're shown the door.

Look, in this game you have to be willing to get a little dirty. We ride lines everyday. But these people really make me feel filthy for even having dealt with them, and I regret sharing my personal information with them. My SO's card is in the mail. Think I'll close it without even using it beyond taking out the $50. I now know where my line is, and they are on the other side of it.

Again I'll say - contrast their behavior with Amex and Bluebird.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
@TheChallenge,

I also thought that it was ridiculous, that's why I have no intention on attempting to get her account reopened. It'd be a waste of time.

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
+1 - thank you @TheChallenge for sharing your conversations.

GB/GD has shown their real selves in these shutdowns. They want poor and/or financially inexperienced customers - people who can be had over and over again for fees. And if you show even a moderate amount of savviness, you're shown the door.

Look, in this game you have to be willing to get a little dirty. We ride lines everyday. But these people really make me feel filthy for even having dealt with them, and I regret sharing my personal information with them. My SO's card is in the mail. Think I'll close it without even using it beyond taking out the $50. I now know where my line is, and they are on the other side of it.

Again I'll say - contrast their behavior with Amex and Bluebird.
I'd say everyone's best strategy with this would be to simply hit-and-run the GB card as much as you can in a one month period. If I could go back, I'd hit our cards with an obscene amount, something like $50-75k+ each in one month. I'm normally an advocate for slow and steady wins in the end, I personally am still milking opportunities that died off for others years ago, but with GreenDot it seems everyone is going to be closed sooner rather than later.

At some point, GreenDot will have closed down and banned the majority of the United States from using their products. It sounds like they have an absolutely brilliant long-term growth business model going for them.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I think the info posted above is vital. I logged onto my account, and it looks like my statement is in the process of generating. I bp to 0 before I load. I'm thinking that is a way to stay under their radar.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I think the info posted above is vital. I logged onto my account, and it looks like my statement is in the process of generating. I bp to 0 before I load. I'm thinking that is a way to stay under their radar.
Good luck
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:52 am

Thanks, TheChallenge. I gave them too much credit. What a disappointment this product turned out to be.

Maybe 3 - 6 months later, after several rounds more of shutdown reports, I may open for the SOs...maybe never.

Good luck to members who still have accounts open. Hope if you switch to load-spend-load-spend now, they are forgiving enough to let the accounts open (I doubt anybody wanna take this route).

Oh, yes, I'm gonna be using ATM with min withdraw/transaction for the balance remaining in my account. I love to annoy the hell out in this case.

Last edited by vagrants; Jul 1, 2013 at 9:08 am
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by vagrants
Thanks, TheChallenge. I gave them too much credit. What a disappointment this product turned out to be.

Maybe 3 - 6 months later, after several rounds more of shutdown reports, I may open for the SOs...maybe never.

Good luck to members who still have accounts open. Hope if you switch to load-spend-load-spend now, they are forgiving enough to let the accounts open (I doubt anybody wanna take this route).

Oh, yes, I'm gonna be using ATM with min withdraw/transaction for the balance remaining in my account. I'd love to annoy the hell out.
I hope load $2500 then pay $2500 meets their needs lol... I doubt it... Still open! *knocks on wood*
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
My activity has been low (GC problems) in the 3 weeks I've had this open, but coincidently my pattern was load-spend-load-spend with only a day or two in between load and spend. I mixed in a couple of low dollar swipes as well. I'm surprised this is a pattern GB likes - I figured they made money off of people carrying balances and wouldn't mind this.

I'm going to try the load once a week and then bill pay quickly approach and see what happens. If it gets closed anyhow, so be it.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
So far:

Month 1 - 64.50 opening load with MoneyPak
Month 2 - 2k load via 4 GC. Linked my account to Chase as bank account and did three CC payments that way. They post as "fund reversal" on the transaction activity list. Using the card for gas, dining, etc. Next statement closes in 3 weeks... I will limit my reloads for now.

Do account usually get closed after statement close?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by cashback
I hope load $2500 then pay $2500 meets their needs lol... I doubt it... Still open! *knocks on wood*
Nice! I'll look forward to your report at the end of this month since you now have 2 statements.

Originally Posted by ctbarron
My activity has been low (GC problems) in the 3 weeks I've had this open, but coincidently my pattern was load-spend-load-spend with only a day or two in between load and spend. I mixed in a couple of low dollar swipes as well. I'm surprised this is a pattern GB likes - I figured they made money off of people carrying balances and wouldn't mind this.

I'm going to try the load once a week and then bill pay quickly approach and see what happens. If it gets closed anyhow, so be it.
Great! We'll get a data, how many and/or how much of the load-spend pattern we can do in a month or week. And, how much of spend is expected from the load, etc., etc.

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Do account usually get closed after statement close?
With the exception of TheChallenger, many were killed at the end of a month (established from MP abuse) after 2 statements (established from load abuse).

KYBOSH: I'm curious since you seemed you wanted to add data to the Wiki. Are you open or closed? Tell us things

Last edited by vagrants; Jul 1, 2013 at 9:46 am
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by vagrants
With the exception of TheChallenger, many were killed at the end of a month (established from MP abuse) after 2 statements (established from load abuse).

KYBOSH: I'm curious since you seemed you wanted to add data to the Wiki. Are you open or closed? Tell us things
I am open. I just want to make sure I do not get closed Also, has anyone else tried to add gobank as bank account to their credit card provider instead of using cc bill pay?

Also, killed at the end of the month means after statement close?

thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Also, has anyone else tried to add gobank as bank account to their credit card provider instead of using cc bill pay?
in wiki above
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by sgideons
Those are my load #s on my May and June statements (I was an early adopter)
Just to clarify, since you started abusing (assuming began in May), you had 2 statements and survived the purge or you were abusing well before? I went back to my data. On my 1st statement cycle, I was kind of fitting with the load-spend...although super low:

05/10 FRI CARDTRONICS CCS *****, 00000 | Cash Withdrawal -$160.00
05/08 WED WAL-MART #???? *****, 00000 | Purchase - Grocery Stores -$50.00
05/08 WED FUND TRANSFER FR Deposit +$114.53
04/29 MON WAL WAL-MART SUPER ??? *****, 00000 | Purchase - Grocery Stores -$51.90
04/22 MON FUND TRANSFER FR Deposit +$150.00
04/15 MON FUND TRANSFER FR Deposit +$50.00
04/15 MON ONLINE PMT- BillPay -$50.00

And, on the 2nd & 3rd statement cycle, I went crazy. I was shutdown in the middle of 3rd statement cycle. So, really, it took me only 1 statement cycle since I started abusing before 'I closed my Account'. On my Excel, I recorded month-month instead of the statement-statement, so I might have confused myself when analyzed and reported. And, I didn't log anything on the Excel for the 1st statement, so I don't know if these deposits of mine were GC loads. But, I didn't report the confirmation of WM load until May 17th, they probably weren't.

Is your spending pattern load-spend (ACH pull in your situation...this is the critical part for me since nobody else has that much ACH pull!)? This is gonna establish how it's gonna go out really doesn't matter (my conclusion so far).

Last edited by vagrants; Jul 1, 2013 at 11:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.