Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I was wondering who was going to be the first to mention the monthly fee/tip thing.

I'm still OK and I have it at $0. Loaded it only three times in June.
Its a PR gimmick and probably has no bearing on whether your acctount is closed for churning or not.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:33 am

Aww, they got me too. I suspect it's all the GC swipe loads that did it. I loaded 3K last month and 5800 this month, mostly from GCs with a couple of MoneyPaks here and there. I've been using it for bill pay and non-cc-promo daily spending.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Wonko
Aww, they got me too. I suspect it's all the GC swipe loads that did it. I loaded 3K last month and 5800 this month, mostly from GCs with a couple of MoneyPaks here and there. I've been using it for bill pay and non-cc-promo daily spending.
Wow, thats almost nothing at all!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 1:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
data point

I got the card on May 24, 2013. And first use my debit card to deposit $200 and then use mobile check deposit to add $2000. Use gift card at WM for $2500 once. All the remaining are from moneypak, total 20k till now, i.e. in one month. All the money used for bill pay.

My account is still OK now.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 2:01 am

Got 2 of 3 cancelled today - loaded about $30K in a month on one card - ~$22K in about 3 weeks on another. Wife's account is still open, but probably not for long. All kiosk loads using gcs.

Pity. But the game moves on.

I wonder if there are many people who actually use the silly card for legitimate transactions? You can get free checking/billpay from places like BoA that have mobile banking and have the convenience of physical locations. About the only reason I can see why anyone would be interested in dealing with a flea ridden company like GoBank is for churning.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by kunk00
I got the card on May 24, 2013. And first use my debit card to deposit $200 and then use mobile check deposit to add $2000. Use gift card at WM for $2500 once. All the remaining are from moneypak, total 20k till now, i.e. in one month. All the money used for bill pay.

My account is still OK now.
Go load as fast and furious as you can - your days are numbered.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by farwest101
Got 2 of 3 cancelled today - loaded about $30K in a month on one card - ~$22K in about 3 weeks on another. Wife's account is still open, but probably not for long. All kiosk loads using gcs.

Pity. But the game moves on.

I wonder if there are many people who actually use the silly card for legitimate transactions? You can get free checking/billpay from places like BoA that have mobile banking and have the convenience of physical locations. About the only reason I can see why anyone would be interested in dealing with a flea ridden company like GoBank is for churning.
They have nearly 19K likes on facebook so I'm assuming a lot of unbanked are loving not having to pay swipe fees lol.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:40 am

Do we have a pattern of more shutdowns on using WalMart machine instead of MPs?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jewsus
They have nearly 19K likes on facebook so I'm assuming a lot of unbanked are loving not having to pay swipe fees lol.
You can easily buy Likes (and Twitter followers)
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:10 am

I was kicked out, too. I put near $4k/month for 2 months. The amount is most likely a reason to flag, but I think how you load the GB account as well. A lot of GC loads (<$200 usually, there were a couple of near $500...usually 2x loads/day...)...,there was a DD, I used the card for a small amount once...maybe they didn't like the large amount cash outs by BillPay, too...I didn't pay the voluntary fee, by the way.

Called & talked with an agent playing dumb and cool. No recon and I'm banned for life at least for now. The agent said that we are a new product, so I may or may not be able to join in the future (I think I gave a good reason for the 'unusual activities'). Oh, yes, the agent said my account is in "Spend Down" mode. I can use the money however I like. Once the funds in my account reaches $0, the account gets closed. I scheduled a BillPay to one of CC company yesterday, and it's still pending...according to what the agent told me, it shouldn't be a problem. One more thing, the auto massage said that all calls are recorded, so make sure not to lose cool if you are gonna call.

Oh, well, maybe I get another account for my SO and try again. NOT.

Last edited by vagrants; Jun 28, 2013 at 7:38 am
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
If they got you for that amount, I don't have a shot. Smh. I'm at 4500 in my first month. GreenDot corporation thinks everyone is trying to launder money I guess. I wonder if direct deposit gets them off of our backs.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Do any of you keep any money in there at all? Or do you bill pay it to 0?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Do any of you keep any money in there at all? Or do you bill pay it to 0?
I try to at least not to pay the same day as I load. The balance is usually over $1,000 for 2-3-5 days.

Shutdowns for $4,500 - that's sad. I guess I don't have a chance either. Debating on going all-in while I still can vs. laying low and hoping I won't get shut down.

Checked my statement - closed June 21st - $6,700 loaded, $4,100 spent.

P.S. What's interesting - I had my Green Dot prepaid card closed very recently. All I did - load $1,000 and unloaded it - $200 to GB, $800 - bill pay. Was shut down trying to load $1,000 Money Pack. They even offered me to keep the card open for 24 hours so I could spend 36 cents I had there

My bigger problem was $1,000 Money Pack that I did not have a use for - loaded it to PP, unloaded to bank account - got a letter from PP not to do it anymore
Old Jun 28, 2013, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Artemk
I try to at least not to pay the same day as I load.
So did I (not try, I didn't). I build up the account balance, then BillPay out.

Originally Posted by Artemk
The balance is usually over $1,000 for 2-3-5 days.
So was my account.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by vagrants
So did I (not try, I didn't).
So was my account.
Crap. I guess need to find other ways to liquidate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.