Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by guoguo914
To me, that is BS.

Why not state it clearly in T&C about the limit like Bluebird and let customers do all the guesswork?
exactly.. why don't they clearly say that you are an unprofitable customer rather than labeling us as fraudsters. I guess we should all continue writing to BBB and consumer reports and get them bad publicity
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: ALL OF THEM, NO STATUS ON ANY OF THEM!!

Account Now, Go Bank and Greendot have all closed my accounts for the same reason. I'm kinda scared my rush card will suffer the same fate, why can't they all be like my BB giving out checks and everything... Oh well!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:25 am

My wife and I still have our accounts open for over 3 months. Not one swipe and not always draining the accounts before load. I'm not sure why we have continued to survive.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:26 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
I'm doing low amounts (less than $2k/month). I would hate to be banned by GD as Gobank is a good backup to Blue Bird.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:52 am
Suspended

I know this sounds too simple but - to those who were closed down were you gracious enough to allow GB a monthly fee? If so, how much were you allowing them to take?

There seems to be very little discussion about paying customers vs. free rides, and if it carries any weight.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
I pay $1/month and haven't been shut down on $5,000/a month. Not sure if that's made a difference or not.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:07 am
Suspended

How many months has your account been active?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
4 months
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I'm paying a monthly fee of a buck, but I don't think they care.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:12 am

Yeah, I don't it makes any difference. Our patten of activity will get us shutdown, no matter the amount. I think keeping your monthly loads low will allow you stay under the radar longer, but once they catch on, they will shut you down.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
I know this sounds too simple but - to those who were closed down were you gracious enough to allow GB a monthly fee? If so, how much were you allowing them to take?

There seems to be very little discussion about paying customers vs. free rides, and if it carries any weight.
There was some several months ago. Search the thread for monthly fee. Don't think anything conclusive was determined, but logically, the voluntary monthly fees are likely to be trivial vs swipe fees from more "typical" consumers.

For what it's worth, I'm at 3 months with $0 monthly fee and not shut down, but I only do about $5k a month limited by how very rarely I can reasonably make it to a walmart given my usual residences.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:25 pm

After four months and 20k+ loaded onto each card, both my GB account and my girlfriend's account were finally shut down. I called and got the same vague answer on the reason for closure as the majority on the thread.

We both had loaded funds only -- amounts varied from 200-2000 at WM. No withdrawals, billpay, ACH, or swipes.

It was nice while it lasted, but was way too tough trying to figure out how to balance maximizing benefit vs. trying to stay under the radar.

FF
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Fire_Fly
After four months and 20k+ loaded onto each card, both my GB account and my girlfriend's account were finally shut down. I called and got the same vague answer on the reason for closure as the majority on the thread.

We both had loaded funds only -- amounts varied from 200-2000 at WM. No withdrawals, billpay, ACH, or swipes.

It was nice while it lasted, but was way too tough trying to figure out how to balance maximizing benefit vs. trying to stay under the radar.

FF
Why did you load 40k+ without withdrawing any money? Do you just happen to have more than 40k in cash just lying around? Maybe invest that?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:33 pm

data point: still active but i have no formula. i've been active 3 or 4 months. mostly just BP out quickly, but a couple of swipes here and there. loaded 3k one month, 1k the next, etc. no clue why i'm not dead but i only really use it when i max out other methods so i guess i'll hang on. tempted to go out in a blaze a fire but not inspired yet. i'm at $1 for the fee.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
My third statement just posted and I am still alive. I posted details in the Wiki. Basically I load ~$2k every other week (~$4k total per month), almost all with $500 GC’s. I usually bill pay it out within 24-72 hours. I’ve only carried a balance of more than $200 for a few days once. After the first month, which is when the first wave of shut downs hit, I started doing 4-5 small (under $10) swipes per month. I also did a couple of ATM withdrawals at WM. No membership fees paid.

My current goal with this is to keep GB alive as a secondary outlet, but I figure even that is up in the air with GreenDot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.