Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:20 pm

Any usage connection, i.e. moneypak vs WMT?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:21 pm

Maybe staying at the monthly BB levels is the best bet from here on out.

I hope you guys can reapply with a different email address.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by KYBOSH

I doubt it, they asked for the SSN when we signed up. Keep in mind that once you're banned from GreenDot, you're banned from other Greendot products as well (Rushcard, Walmart Moneycard, Greendot Reloadable)
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred

I agree with this sentiment. I'm going to focus on staying right around there, but slightly above. Honestly, it's a pain to to to WM so much anyways. Time to mix in some MOs.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:28 pm

Which begs the question is when GB considers "beginning" / "end" of the month? Calendar month, like BB? Statement-based?
Do they provide statements on the calendar month or based on the account open day?

I did not have my first statement yet, since I've opened the account on the first week of June.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by LoveMountains
Which begs the question is when GB considers "beginning" / "end" of the month? Calendar month, like BB? Statement-based?
Do they provide statements on the calendar month or based on the account open day?

I did not have my first statement yet, since I've opened the account on the first week of June.
Not sure, mine was on the 13th of May and 13th of June
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by LoveMountains

Just like their other limits, it's a rolling month, rolling-24hour load limit, etc....
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Cash load (as they see it) and bill pay is suspicious to them. And from their point they are right. Don't wanna write term for that activity here. Well known.

The question is in volumes of such activity. Some thousands, corresponding to average person's monthly earnings, maybe ok. Tens of thousands appears not.

For AN threshold was even lower if was used at all. But that's a smaller company (I think).
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by raccah
Guys so far vtqanh has described 13 or so thousand a month - have others been below that for more time? Maybe 8K a month would be more wise? Or maybe 5K? gloreglabert - what was your loading and paying style?
Ran amount $15k over two months, fairly steady flow over that time period. Most I ever loaded at once was $1.5k, I believe. Wife's stats were similar.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
Ran amount $15k over two months, fairly steady flow over that time period. Most I ever loaded at once was $1.5k, I believe. Wife's stats were similar.
gloreglabert - 15K per month for 2 months or 7.5 or so thousand per month?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Sorry to people who've had their accounts closed. Someone mentioned bill pay or ATM to get the remaining money out - I hope everyone gets this option and it isn't the usual multi-week fight that GreenDot puts up.

I've only had mine a few weeks. This makes me way less motivated to bother swiping or other stuff with the card. Maybe just load and bill pay at some lower amount...
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH DIA, SPG Gold, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by ctbarron
Sorry to people who've had their accounts closed. Someone mentioned bill pay or ATM to get the remaining money out - I hope everyone gets this option and it isn't the usual multi-week fight that GreenDot puts up.

I've only had mine a few weeks. This makes me way less motivated to bother swiping or other stuff with the card. Maybe just load and bill pay at some lower amount...
Below is the information I received on my login page after logging into the gobank website and finding out that my account was shut down:

Hi there. You closed your account.
Here are a few reminders from the GoBank team:

1. We've transferred your Money Vault funds into your regular account, so you can spend it.
2. You should transfer your remaining money out of GoBank by writing a check to yourself using our PAY feature. (You can also make purchases with your debit card or take cash out at an ATM).
3. You can't deposit money to your account now (including direct deposit, so remember to give new info to your payroll department).
4. You're welcome to still log in and view past transactions and e-statements.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:25 pm

My first post at FT, as my shut down inspired me to share my situation. I obtained two cards - one for me and one for my wife.

I was shut down last night. I loaded $25.5K for first statement period, and $5K for current period. All loads were done via gift cards at WM, and I loaded at or near $2.5K each time. I used the account to pay credit card bills, home utilities and gardener. No swipes and no MP loads.

My wife's account has not been shut down. Loaded about $8K in current period, and no statement yet as her invite trailed mine by about a week. paid about 4K for a single credit card bill.

Plan is to continue to use her card (assuming my closure does not affect her account), and to not go above $10K per statment period

Last edited by BigDawgFT; Jun 27, 2013 at 4:34 pm
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:34 pm

rut roh... I better knock it off... The good things never last....
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by cashback
rut roh... I better knock it off... The good things never last....
Did you have a statement close yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.