Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Ok Daddy wants more points and miles. I have had my GOBANK card since May, I have loaded it with money from my debit chase card. So I have read most of this thread, and I have a good grap of this card. So basically just like BB, you can load Visa Debit Cards on to this card at WM and the Kiosk, is this correct? Any advice on starting out with this card?
I have never gone over 4.5k per month and have yet to be shut down. I have read a lot of people getting shut down for 5k + , so i just dont abuse this card.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
I normally load $3-4k per month, almost always in $500 or $200 GC's at Walmart. I swipe it a couple of times a month, usually on a sandwich or something small. I usually bill pay out within 24-72 hours of loading.

I don't go out of my way to deal with Gobank, just one more thing that can be accomplished on a trip to Walmart.

The other benefit I've noticed is that while Walmart cashiers can be "protective" about Bluebird activity, they don't seem to care what you do with Gobank.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by thegasguru
Yeah - they shut people down at the blink of an eye, so don't tie up any more money at one time than you can afford to be without for a while. or...unload immediately after loading. Which will, of course, get you shut down.

That's why I don't bother with them any more.
I have three birds to feed, so this card has now become an atm card.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I have three birds to feed, so this card has now become an atm card.
Rookie , How much are you loading on to it (Gobank)
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:44 am

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
I got my GoBank Cliped today after (opened 12/5 closed 12/25-Merry Christmas). I did not think I would get so unlucky as I only did around 5K of spend with GC. But, oh well. That's the way it goes. I knew the risks and I didn't have much reason for it after this month (I am trying to get a large amount of spend on a Citi card before 12/31.) Guess I will have to do read spend rather than "manufactured spend." They are not a good company to deal with I would totally agree. They give limits and then gone't honor them.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:46 am

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
Advice: Hope they don't close your account. Don't go over 5K/mth. They seem to close accounts at various levels of spend (mine was closed today and opened 12/15 after 5.5K spend on VR). Good luck. They are creeps.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:33 am

I have been unable to do a bill pay from the card yesterday and today. after I submit all of the bill pay information, it tells me that their system is having technical difficulties and that I should try again later. Anyone else having this problem?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Silverthunder
I have been unable to do a bill pay from the card yesterday and today. after I submit all of the bill pay information, it tells me that their system is having technical difficulties and that I should try again later. Anyone else having this problem?
No, did two bill pays today without an issue via the mobile app.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:41 pm

Yes, the website is having "technical difficulties," however, the mobile app is working properly. Try that (got an sm from GB that the mobile app is working).
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:27 pm

I don't know if this new or not but I can now add multiple account numbers for the same bill payee (e.g., American Express) on the web. No payment mailing address needed. There's still no way of adding a nickname though so I can only assume that the order they are listed in the "Pay To The Order Of" field is the same order as in the "Manage Existing Payees" page.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:55 pm

Haven't used mine for several months. Just too much trouble for not enough benefit.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
what is the best way to load this card, Visa GC or Money Packs?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
I think you can only use a Money Pack for the initial load (I did last spring). Nowadays I just use GC's at WM.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:40 am

Any new experiences on accounts closing? I have had my card since November 2013 and I have loaded about $10K on it since, always using GCs. I am using the card for just about everything, and have over 100 CC transactions since. I still have a large balance on it and plan to issue my first large CC payment using bill pay. I wonder if I should empty it with that payment, or whether I should leave some money on it and hope it remains open. Suggestions?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Visa GC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.