Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:14 am

Man that sounds awful, and sorry to hear about your experience. We will be there in February, and although we're excited, these reviews, coupled with the unresoonsive emails are starting to worry me. I am now on my fourth follow up email with Audeline regarding booking a potential excursion. At first she was responsive, and connected me with ankther rep who was also responsive. But after an email in October saying she would get back to me, crickets. Even after the follow up emails, I still haven't heard back.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Anlun
Man that sounds awful, and sorry to hear about your experience. We will be there in February, and although we're excited, these reviews, coupled with the unresoonsive emails are starting to worry me. I am now on my fourth follow up email with Audeline regarding booking a potential excursion. At first she was responsive, and connected me with ankther rep who was also responsive. But after an email in October saying she would get back to me, crickets. Even after the follow up emails, I still haven't heard back.
That is strange - I’ve exchanged a number of emails with them about our upcoming stay and they have always responded within ~12hrs. We are still very excited for our trip but definitely somewhat worried given all of these recent experiences. The few activities we want to do we have booked in advance, and I will double-confirm a week prior. I’m hoping that some of these recent issues are related to max occupancy over the holidays and won’t be an issue when we are there. Some of these issues (like not being able to produce extra beach chairs) just sound bizarre, frankly.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Mickidon
I feel your pain, FlyP, as one of the people who did post a rave review on TA and, then, a few pages upstream, had to report on a miserable honeymoon experience there, booked and paid for by me. I can tell you that Audeline has done little to make me feel better and, in fact, seems a bit tone deaf. As reported, our first response from her was along the lines of "gosh, so sorry, can't go back in time." I did ask her to look after a couple at festive, which she did,
but as they are known in entertainment circles, they would probably have been VIPed anyway. She also said she would write a note to the honeymoon couple, which did NOT happen without a reminder from me three weeks later.
I made it clear to Audeline that I wanted absolutely nothing from her, but a platform to share my observations and the promised apology. She said we could have a beach casita for a few days gratis off season with many limitations which is truly an empty offer as the flight to the resort, meals, and other expenses would likely accrue more benefit to Amanpulo than us during the off season. As well, despite living on the East Coast and saying VERY clearly that we

That is strange - I’ve exchanged a number of emails with them about our upcoming stay and they have always responded within ~12hrs. We are still very excited for our trip but definitely somewhat worried given all of these recent experiences. The few activities we want to do we have booked in advance, and I will double-confirm a week prior. I’m hoping that some of these recent issues are related to max occupancy over the holidays and won’t be an issue when we are there. Some of these issues (like not being able to produce extra beach chairs) just sound bizarre, frankly.
I guess if they are not in full occupancy it will be better than us
Oh and On top of it... when in Amanera and Amanyara, even Amanjena we were excited to discover what they gave us as gift every night. It’s small things that are nice
There we had only crap, on the NYE night 2 cookies, the next day 2 sweets, the only things we had were a bottle of massage oil, a woman s necklace (they probably forgot we were 2 guys), 1 Amanpulo cap from the store (they probably forgot we were 2?) and on the last night 2 luggage tags (they dont put it on our luggage upon arrival, they just put paper with our name on it). They had really cheap maners
Originally Posted by Aventine
She sounds truly tonedeaf and insincere. Not the first current Aman GM I've encountered like that and probably not the last either.

Would not visit Pulo as long as the current administration is in charge.
for us she was just absent and avoiding issues. We saw her only 1 time on NYE, one morning and when we left. On the morning we saw her it was 5min before her assistant came with the bill of the car we had an accident with. She didn’t say anything about it to us, she just said something like « hi, nice weather) she let her assistant do

Last edited by Flyp; Jan 8, 2019 at 2:34 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Flyp

I guess if they are not in full occupancy it will be better than us
FWIW, occupancy was 70% when our family member honeymooned there. If nothing else, all of this attention on FT might catch her attention.
LinLant likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I’m departing Amanpulo on the afternoon flight which gets into MNL at ~3:45pm, but my flight out does not depart until 10pm (Cebu Pacific). I believe I read something here about Amanpulo arranging a driver/tour guide for a few hours for longer layovers.

Is there anything worthy to see in such a short period of time, or at the very least, is there somewhere we can go to grab a nice dinner prior to our flight? I’d love to see something more historic/relevant as we aren’t spending any time in Manila, but will settle for whatever I can given the famous Manila traffic.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by callmedtop
I’m departing Amanpulo on the afternoon flight which gets into MNL at ~3:45pm, but my flight out does not depart until 10pm (Cebu Pacific). I believe I read something here about Amanpulo arranging a driver/tour guide for a few hours for longer layovers.

Is there anything worthy to see in such a short period of time, or at the very least, is there somewhere we can go to grab a nice dinner prior to our flight? I’d love to see something more historic/relevant as we aren’t spending any time in Manila, but will settle for whatever I can given the famous Manila traffic.
The Fort area might be good . New part & if there is time The Manila Hotel .

Traffic is usually bad & can be even more horrendous at certain times of the day , day , holidays .. ask Pulo HM or FOM , they can easily find out .
Do not bother asking GM here who is not ‘ local ‘ or ‘ localised ‘ ( unlike previous GMs ) either .. though seems ok with BESVISOR

Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by callmedtop

As of now, I have the same itinerary. Curious what you end up doing. I was just planning on going to the Pen or Raffles and using the spa for a few hours
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:54 am

Are any of the additional excursions worthwhile? My wife and I will be there in roughly 3 weeks. We were trying to see if we could somehow get a charter to El Nido, see the lagoons and come back, but apparently that is something Amanpulo is looking into but isn't offering yet. The third party they connected with would charge an exorbitant amount, that just made it not worth it. Similar for trying to get to Apo or Tubbataha Reefs to scuba dive. Are there are any similar lagoon like excursion, and is the diving worthwhile at Amanpulo?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Are any of the additional excursions worthwhile? My wife and I will be there in roughly 3 weeks. We were trying to see if we could somehow get a charter to El Nido, see the lagoons and come back, but apparently that is something Amanpulo is looking into but isn't offering yet. The third party they connected with would charge an exorbitant amount, that just made it not worth it. Similar for trying to get to Apo or Tubbataha Reefs to scuba dive. Are there are any similar lagoon like excursion, and is the diving worthwhile at Amanpulo?
Has the communication gotten better?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:11 am

Funny you ask. It hadn't. I followed up twice more between now and my last post. Finally, I got a response from a new person yesterday informing me that the prior person I was working with no longer worked at Amanpulo and that she would be handling my requests.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Funny you ask. It hadn't. I followed up twice more between now and my last post. Finally, I got a response from a new person yesterday informing me that the prior person I was working with no longer worked at Amanpulo and that she would be handling my requests.
I guess that could qualify as an improvement?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:29 am

Right, just wished this was done sooner or in a more communicative manner. It would have given me time to research third party alternative options. As of now my options are pay 28k USD for a day trip or nothing. After already spending a large amount on Amanpulo this seems absurd to me. I didn't think it would be that hard to find a way to get to the lagoons at El Nido (apparently the scuba diving IS difficult to get to as a daytrip).
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, just wished this was done sooner or in a more communicative manner. It would have given me time to research third party alternative options. As of now my options are pay 28k USD for a day trip or nothing. After already spending a large amount on Amanpulo this seems absurd to me. I didn't think it would be that hard to find a way to get to the lagoons at El Nido (apparently the scuba diving IS difficult to get to as a daytrip).
In days past, this would be a valid criticism and an Aman GM would definitely make it happen for you. I don't have faith that the current regime would listen or make generous gestures like that. I think 1k could buy your own boat and make a trip of it!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

charters are expensive. but i am assuming quote is not for smallest plane/boat/helicopter.

which el nido?
hectares >
310 lagen
224 miniloc
[89 amanpulo]
40 pangulasian
40 apulit
they allow their guests to visit their other islands, not sure re public daytrippers

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 24, 2019 at 12:22 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:09 pm

Not sure exactly what size the charter covered. I made it clear we weren't picky, and whatever was most economical was fine with us, and we were fine going with another group. We also didn't care how we got there, be it helicopter, seaplane, or boat. We wanted to go to Miniloc or any other areas with cool lagoons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.