Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2020, 2:22 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster!

As wanderlust sets in more deeply than ever amongst COVID-19 travel restrictions, we are contemplating our first trip to Amanpulo in the next year (likely 2021). Any thoughts on the weather in November vs March? Is November just too windy? Our children (toddler and kindergartener aged) would would love to watch the baby turtle hatching though I am not sure if it is still offered if seasonally available.

Alternatively, we live on the West Coast and have thought The Brando may be an option as well. Can anyone compare the two resorts?
Old May 24, 2020, 2:54 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Melissa.B
Long time lurker, first time poster!

As wanderlust sets in more deeply than ever amongst COVID-19 travel restrictions, we are contemplating our first trip to Amanpulo in the next year (likely 2021). Any thoughts on the weather in November vs March? Is November just too windy? Our children (toddler and kindergartener aged) would would love to watch the baby turtle hatching though I am not sure if it is still offered if seasonally available.

Alternatively, we live on the West Coast and have thought The Brando may be an option as well. Can anyone compare the two resorts?
Hi, Melissa!

Both are great candidates
But I will just nitpick here...

I've been to both and have sent clients to both (extra data points).
They are lovely but here are some thoughts if I'm to choose/advise between the two...

I like Pulo's snorkeling, beach and water quality a bit better than The Brando.
I like nearly all else better at The Brando over Pulo.

For Amanpulo, unless you're getting a Villa, I just cannot compare any of the Casitas to the quality of the Villas at The Brando. It's very apples to oranges in terms of hard product and pricing between the two. Even comparing the one bedroom villa #32 at Amanpulo vs. The Brando Villas, I'd still give the edge to The Brando.
The Brando Villa's living room is inside with AC and I think that's an obvious plus/must for most. The Media room is also great as it can be turned into a second bedroom for young children. A perfect fit for families of 3 or 4. And they will eat/stay for free.

The villa's plunge pool at the Brando is small and that's a negative. Villa pool at Amnapulo is better.
However, the main pool location at Amanpulo is terrible and away from the beach. Located by/within the main restaurant with no real views. There's one cabana by the main pool that has a bit of sea view and no one's ever there, usually. But you can definitely feel the far distance from the beach.
Brando's main pool is by their beach and bar. A much better setup.Brando's main pool is shallow (3ft - 5ft) which is good for some but not all.
Honestly, neither main pool is that fun to swim in, though.

I've found Brando to be great during Nov/Dec period. The value for families are great. I think their turtle hatching is usually around last week of Nov - first two weeks of Dec.
Logistics for Brando is a bit annoying as the international flights out of PPT to return home would likely require you to fly out late in the evening and have to book a room in Tahiti (Intercontinental) just to kill some time.
Of course with Pulo, you'd have to fly longer/connect to get to HKG/MNL (likely an extra stop). So the edge still goes to Brando from the West Coast. Especially with little ones.

Anyway, can rant on about it more but I think Brando has the edge/value over Amanpulo. Factoring rate differences and all.
Also, in 2019, I had a few clients return to Amanpulo with great memories but found that it has declined since their initial visit.
My last visit was 2017 and I did really enjoy it. Visit to Brando was 2018 Dec and absolutely loved it!

But regardless which you end up, I'm sure you guys will have a great time
Mickidon and landing like this.

Last edited by BESVISOR; May 24, 2020 at 3:47 pm
Old May 24, 2020, 6:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Hi, Melissa!

Both are great candidates
But I will just nitpick here...

I've been to both and have sent clients to both (extra data points).
They are lovely but here are some thoughts if I'm to choose/advise between the two...

I like Pulo's snorkeling, beach and water quality a bit better than The Brando.
I like nearly all else better at The Brando over Pulo.

For Amanpulo, unless you're getting a Villa, I just cannot compare any of the Casitas to the quality of the Villas at The Brando. It's very apples to oranges in terms of hard product and pricing between the two. Even comparing the one bedroom villa #32 at Amanpulo vs. The Brando Villas, I'd still give the edge to The Brando.
The Brando Villa's living room is inside with AC and I think that's an obvious plus/must for most. The Media room is also great as it can be turned into a second bedroom for young children. A perfect fit for families of 3 or 4. And they will eat/stay for free.

The villa's plunge pool at the Brando is small and that's a negative. Villa pool at Amnapulo is better.
However, the main pool location at Amanpulo is terrible and away from the beach. Located by/within the main restaurant with no real views. There's one cabana by the main pool that has a bit of sea view and no one's ever there, usually. But you can definitely feel the far distance from the beach.
Brando's main pool is by their beach and bar. A much better setup.Brando's main pool is shallow (3ft - 5ft) which is good for some but not all.

I've found Brando to be great during Nov/Dec period. The value for families are great. I think their turtle hatching is usually around last week of Nov - first two weeks of Dec.
Logistics for Brando is a bit annoying as the international flights out of PPT to return home would likely require you to fly out late in the evening and have to book a room in Tahiti (Intercontinental) just to kill some time.
Of course with Pulo, you'd have to fly longer/connect to get to HKG/MNL (likely an extra stop). So the edge still goes to Brando from the West Coast. Especially with little ones.

Anyway, can rant on about it more but I think Brando has the edge/value over Amanpulo. Factoring rate differences and all.
Also, in 2019, I had a few clients return to Amanpulo with great memories but found that it has declined since their initial visit.
My last visit was 2017 and I did really enjoy it. Visit to Brando was 2018 Dec and absolutely loved it!

But regardless which you end up, I'm sure you guys will have a great time
Hoping to return to Pulo in January as November / December might be too soon for us ( though we loved it those months ) considering the current circumstances . We have not returned since Tapa T left as we heard things were slipping but was to be improving again .. but if what your clients comments indicate , some way to go . Hopefully this down time more things are being “ fixed “ .
With many pioneering staff retired or moving on too , service may see some lapses we are accustomed to at AMANs

Pulo villas have a separate Beach & Children Clubs .
The living & dining too had AC . We set ours at 16 C preferably / below 65 F & the AMANs do achieve it for us ( the dear engineers / technicians )

Love the cool fine sands beach there

Tahiti is rather convoluted to get to too , perhaps a little easier by private jet
PPT - Must note too , much of the airport has no AC except in the crowded lounge we were in
1readyset2go likes this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; May 25, 2020 at 6:28 pm
Old May 24, 2020, 7:16 pm
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Hoping to return to Pulo in January as November / December might be too soon for us ( though we loved it those months ) considering the current circumstances . We have not returned since Tapa T left as we heard things were slipping but was to be improving again .. but if what your clients comments indicate , some way to go . Hopefully this down time more things are being “ fixed “ .
With many pioneering staff retired or moving on too , service may see some lapses we are accustomed to at AMANs

The living & dining too had AC . We set ours at 16 C preferably / below 65 F & the AMANs do achieve it for us ( the dear engineers / technicians )

Tahiti is rather convoluted to get too , perhaps a little easier by private jet
Yeah, I think the glory days might be a thing of the past but still a fabulous place to holiday
Wish Tapa would have stayed on with Aman but now that he is with Como, I'm a big fan of the Parrot Cay property I think he has already made big changes there.
Really enjoyed my stay last July there.

Sorry for not clarifying regarding Pulo AC. I do recall that the one bedroom villas and I believe #32 was the best one...it had the same bedroom as a casita then the pool and expansive outdoor living space. But yes, the multi bedroom villas do have an interior living room with AC. But please do correct me if the one bedroom setup is different than how I remembered it to be.

Absolutely agree that Pulo's beach is wonderful and better than most Maldives resorts/islands
But yes, one client was there in Oct or Nov as I recall and he was so shocked by the difference/decline that he decided to cut short his stay. Reached out to Aman team for correction/help but he still preferred an early departure. Of course there has been good stays, too. Service levels are just less consistent nowadays across various Amans. Although, I still find it to be better than most. And on the flip side, Aman Tokyo keeps getting better.

I think both are a pain to get to and I suppose that's what enables them to be special.
Good call on the private jet. lol!!
FlyerEC and 1readyset2go like this.

Last edited by BESVISOR; May 24, 2020 at 7:23 pm
Old May 25, 2020, 2:48 pm

Thank you both for your feedback!

BESVISOR, would you be able to share in more details some of the service issues your client experienced at Amanpulo? I imagine these issues would be significant if they decided to depart early.

We would be considering a 1 bedroom villa given the desired space, private pool, and private chef/dining option which are important to us to enjoy a holiday with young kids at Pulo. We were thinking of the direct Philippine Airlines flight from either SFO or LAX to MNL though we would have to spend the night in MNL as we would have missed both flights to Pulo that day.

I may rethink the Brando however based on your comparison!
BESVISOR and TSTraveler like this.
Old May 25, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
My recent stay to Amanpulo in May 2019 (there is a trip report floating around FT somewhere) has me longing to return more so than any other hotel has ever done, but we have not stayed at a Brando-caliber property before. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Brando is >2x the price of Amanpulo, no?
Old May 25, 2020, 11:55 pm

. . . the main pool location at Amanpulo is terrible and away from the beach. Located by/within the main restaurant with no real views. There's one cabana by the main pool that has a bit of sea view and no one's ever there, usually. But you can definitely feel the far distance from the beach.
Brando's main pool is by their beach and bar. A much better setup. Brando's main pool is shallow (3ft - 5ft) which is good for some but not all.
Funny how people's perceptions differ. I think the main pool at Amanpulo is spectacular and it's a mark of sophistication that it isn't down by the beach. They have such a fabulous beach that a pool is entirely unnecessary and would compromise the 'natural envjronment' aesthetic. I like having to choose between a beach morning or a pool morning. And of course there are geological concerns - high up on the hill made building a pool more practical as far as the excavations are concerned. That wasn't an option for The Brando as it's a flat atoll consisting of solid coral rock. Having decided against overwater bungalows (hooray!)I think The Brando should have gone all out and not built a main pool, just kept the private pools in the villas.

PS: In Amanpulo's early days there were sweeping views of the ocean. The foliage has grown up now.
Old May 26, 2020, 5:51 am
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Funny how people's perceptions differ. I think the main pool at Amanpulo is spectacular and it's a mark of sophistication that it isn't down by the beach. They have such a fabulous beach that a pool is entirely unnecessary and would compromise the 'natural envjronment' aesthetic. I like having to choose between a beach morning or a pool morning. And of course there are geological concerns - high up on the hill made building a pool more practical as far as the excavations are concerned. That wasn't an option for The Brando as it's a flat atoll consisting of solid coral rock. Having decided against overwater bungalows (hooray!)I think The Brando should have gone all out and not built a main pool, just kept the private pools in the villas.

PS: In Amanpulo's early days there were sweeping views of the ocean. The foliage has grown up now.
I think it's great that you/others feel differently about the pool setup and glad it has its fans. Would be a shame if it didn't. I've always preferred being in a pool for an extended period over the sea. In planning hundreds of beach trips, I've also gathered that many feels the same, especially for many families with little ones. But there are people on both sides of the camp, of course.

As much I loved Amanpulo, I do prefer the design/functionality of Amankila, Amanoi, where there's an elevated pool with sweeping views but also a pool by the beach club. Also love that COMO Parrot Cay/Tapa has found this to be the case and built a second main pool on the beach recently. So there's options that fits all. Even Amanera, where the pool isn't on the beach but it's looking down over the entire beach, cliff and ocean. Those are winners for "me" but certainly understand everyone feels differently across a spectrum. Which is great. And no, I'm probably not the most sophisticated person when it comes to Architecture and pool design. I just want to enjoy the pool and be functional for my needs. I enjoy glancing through Architectural Digest but definitely assumes no expertise.

Great to know!! Too bad I missed Pulo's early days!
Old May 28, 2020, 11:50 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
We were ar Como Parrot Cay in Feb. Got To meet Tapa, nice guy. Como T+C is a nice property with a nice beach. We walked past the 2 main pools a few times and they were lovely, of course we prefered the view from our private pool that came with our 2 bedroom beach house (#1004). We were told they had just renovated it and made our pool 3x bigger than the pool it had before. This trip was planned in like 1-2 weeks from departure because we had booked Pulo for that time but the virus saw too it that we could not even get into MNL.
Old May 29, 2020, 9:38 am
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
We were ar Como Parrot Cay in Feb. Got To meet Tapa, nice guy. Como T+C is a nice property with a nice beach. We walked past the 2 main pools a few times and they were lovely, of course we prefered the view from our private pool that came with our 2 bedroom beach house (#1004). We were told they had just renovated it and made our pool 3x bigger than the pool it had before. This trip was planned in like 1-2 weeks from departure because we had booked Pulo for that time but the virus saw too it that we could not even get into MNL.
Tapa is great and how funny you guys ended up at COMO Parrot Cay from Amanpulo since Tapa spent many years at Pulo
Was that intentional? lol!

We were there last July and Tapa was telling me about the second main beach pool to be built amongst other upgrades..So hoping to get back for another visit to see the place after renovations/improvements.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Tapa is great and how funny you guys ended up at COMO Parrot Cay from Amanpulo since Tapa spent many years at Pulo
Was that intentional? lol!
No it was just coincidence. I only found out after we booked it about his history which was pretty ironic

It seems like he has been working hard to up the standards there. I had been looking at that resort for a future trip for a while. We were quite happy there and the upgrade he gave us was tremendous. We needed a place we could still travel to with the virus and this seemed like a good substitute. The flying time from BNA was certainly a lot nicer!

My wife and I are very excited for our mid Jan trip to Pulo. I hope the virus calms down and we do not have our flights cancelled again. Going out on AA, connecting in HND on JL for the leg to MNL. Coming back via SIN air with a 24 hour layover in SIN, which was on purpose so we can meet up with FlyerEc and enjoy another day in Singapore. I am concerned with all the flights being dropped but so far ours are still there. I keep hoping for some new TR's from pulo on here but there have not been many lately. I am ready for some of their famed mango's!

Last edited by 1readyset2go; May 30, 2020 at 4:12 pm
Old May 31, 2020, 2:31 pm
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
No it was just coincidence. I only found out after we booked it about his history which was pretty ironic

It seems like he has been working hard to up the standards there. I had been looking at that resort for a future trip for a while. We were quite happy there and the upgrade he gave us was tremendous. We needed a place we could still travel to with the virus and this seemed like a good substitute. The flying time from BNA was certainly a lot nicer!

My wife and I are very excited for our mid Jan trip to Pulo. I hope the virus calms down and we do not have our flights cancelled again. Going out on AA, connecting in HND on JL for the leg to MNL. Coming back via SIN air with a 24 hour layover in SIN, which was on purpose so we can meet up with FlyerEc and enjoy another day in Singapore. I am concerned with all the flights being dropped but so far ours are still there. I keep hoping for some new TR's from pulo on here but there have not been many lately. I am ready for some of their famed mango's!
Haha, that's awesome
Funny how thins work out.

Yes, I was really excited about some of the improvements he was planning and honestly, I wasn't sure if the timeline was realistic but turns out, he was 100% on track. I couldn't believe how quickly they build that second main pool. Seems like the owners are really behind his vision for the property. Good for them!

Glad you guys enjoyed it! Agreed that it's so nice to have an island that stunning so close/easy from the East Coast.
We are thinking of possibly returning this Summer.

LOL! best of luck and I ate about 5 mangoes/day at Pulo. They are sooo good and lives up to the hype
FlyerEC and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:08 pm

FlyerEC--You noted below that villas at Pulo have their own beach club & kid's club? Any further details? I went to Pulo a few years ago but did a beach casita. Am considering a return trip but didn't know the villas had any additional facilities...

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Tahiti is rather convoluted to get to too , perhaps a little easier by private jet
PPT - Must note too , much of the airport has no AC except in the crowded lounge we were in
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by nmuva98
FlyerEC--You noted below that villas at Pulo have their own beach club & kid's club? Any further details? I went to Pulo a few years ago but did a beach casita. Am considering a return trip but didn't know the villas had any additional facilities...
What details are you looking for ?
Emailing GM Audeline W soon & can ask her , if you wish
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:55 am

Any details at all would be appreciated. I knew there was a kid's club, but didn't know there was a separate one for villa guests? And likewise, did I read the original post correctly about separate beach club facilities for villa guests?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.