Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels in Taipei

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels in Taipei

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2015, 10:40 pm

I stayed at the MO last year and thought it was a great property. The entry level rooms are beautifully designed and very spacious (even by MO standards) and much larger than the competition's. It's not the most central location, but it's a short walk to the nearest MRT station. I think it's the top property in Taipei now, and I'll definitely be back.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by grumbler
W or Meridien.
are these for the location ? I'll be visiting the KL Meridian on the way to Aust, mainly for the just renovated lounge So if I do choose between those 2, it's going to be W. Rates are pretty similar too during early Dec.

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
I stayed at the MO last year and thought it was a great property. The entry level rooms are beautifully designed and very spacious (even by MO standards) and much larger than the competition's. It's not the most central location, but it's a short walk to the nearest MRT station. I think it's the top property in Taipei now, and I'll definitely be back.
thanks! I don't think I've ever stayed at any MO before. Are there any perks for guests since they are without a loyalty program ? What brings the MO into my list this time is their anniversary promo, 3 nights for the price of 2 ... averaging the same as W if choosing breakfast.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by wantan

thanks! I don't think I've ever stayed at any MO before. Are there any perks for guests since they are without a loyalty program ? What brings the MO into my list this time is their anniversary promo, 3 nights for the price of 2 ... averaging the same as W if choosing breakfast.
Definitely book MO with a Virtuoso agent (there are several on this forum who don't charge any fees) since you'll get the following benefits on top of what you'd get booking directly:

Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
Continental breakfast daily, for up to two in room guests
$100 USD Equivalent Spa Services credit, to be utilized during stay (not combinable, no cash value if not redeemed in full)
Early check-in/late check-out, subject to availability
Old Nov 8, 2015, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Stayed at MO Taipei back in April this year. Hard product is gorgeous, impeccable. Among the best I have seen and that's saying a lot. ^ Service is also attentive and good. Location could be better but it's very easy to take cabs in Taipei and subway connections are good.

Only peeve of mine is I don't like their restrictive breakfast, ie only one hot item per person and buffet spread only cold cuts and pastries. Not sure if they have improved since.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
Definitely book MO with a Virtuoso agent (there are several on this forum who don't charge any fees) since you'll get the following benefits on top of what you'd get booking directly:
Thanks for the tip ! Not familiar with Virtuoso, but can the agent book without me being a member ?

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Stayed at MO Taipei back in April this year. Hard product is gorgeous, impeccable. Among the best I have seen and that's saying a lot. ^ Service is also attentive and good. Location could be better but it's very easy to take cabs in Taipei and subway connections are good.

Only peeve of mine is I don't like their restrictive breakfast, ie only one hot item per person and buffet spread only cold cuts and pastries. Not sure if they have improved since.
1 item at a time, or are you just not allowed to order any more ?

if it's the latter then reminds me of the M Gallery Hanoi where breakfast is cooked to order ... couldn't get more than 1 helping without paying !
Old Nov 8, 2015, 9:02 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Virtuoso agents make their money from a commission paid by the hotel. Few of them charge the individual in addition. Anyone can use them.

For a list of Virtuoso agents who are active posters on this forum look at

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:03 am

1 item at a time, or are you just not allowed to order any more ?

if it's the latter then reminds me of the M Gallery Hanoi where breakfast is cooked to order ... couldn't get more than 1 helping without paying !
There is an a la carte menu with items like dim sum or congee, and it was also one item per person when I visited. However, the buffet did have the usual hot items you would find in other hotels such as an omelette station, bacon, sausage, etc.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:13 pm

Location could be better but it's very easy to take cabs in Taipei and subway connections are good.
Also wanted to ask, how are cabs in Taipei ? Can they be trusted to use the meter (Thailand & Singapore) or are rouges generally tolerated ?

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Virtuoso agents make their money from a commission paid by the hotel. Few of them charge the individual in addition. Anyone can use them.

For a list of Virtuoso agents who are active posters on this forum look at

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479
Thanks for the pointer ^^ will go through after I'm done with work
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:49 am
Epi

Programs: Aeroplan
Stayed at the Okura Prestige Taipei earlier this year. Although it is not as luxurious as the MO, it's a brand new Japanese-owned 5-star hotel with excellent service and beautiful and large rooms. Oh and it's less than half the price. Can't beat that right?

The website doesn't do the hotel justice, and it definitely deserves it's high TripAdvisor rating.

Also wanted to ask, how are cabs in Taipei ? Can they be trusted to use the meter (Thailand & Singapore) or are rouges generally tolerated ?
Cabs in Taipei are extremely cheap and very reputable ($10 USD can get you clear across the main city). Took the cab everywhere I went no problem. They will use meters and never had any cab try to rip us off in 1 week of heavy usage.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Epi
Stayed at the Okura Prestige Taipei earlier this year. Although it is not as luxurious as the MO, it's a brand new Japanese-owned 5-star hotel with excellent service and beautiful and large rooms. Oh and it's less than half the price. Can't beat that right?

The website doesn't do the hotel justice, and it definitely deserves it's high TripAdvisor rating.
I agree. I've stayed at the Okura Prestige twice now, and it's my second favorite in Taipei after the MO.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Epi

Cabs in Taipei are extremely cheap and very reputable ($10 USD can get you clear across the main city). Took the cab everywhere I went no problem. They will use meters and never had any cab try to rip us off in 1 week of heavy usage.
Thanks, had a look at their rates during my Dec trip. The Exec rooms are similar to Standard rooms at MO (with 3 for 2 nights promo) . However it's not clear from the Okura website if there is a lounge (and what's included ... bfast, tea time, cocktail etc).

Any tips on which rooms to book at the Okura ? Will be a Family Trip, 4 adults in 2 rooms.

On the MO front, have done some reading and there seems to be some offers for World MasterCard and Visa Signature holders as well. Still trying to piece together Virtuoso perks and decide which route to book.

With Okura in the picture, they have an Advance 35 Day rate ... so going to have to make the selection pretty soon !!
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Epi
I second this. I've had trouble in China but never in Taiwan.

PS -- If you go to Taipei, don't miss Din Tai Fung. Expect to wait in the chaos that is the front entry. It is quite the circus. I've modified messy international itineraries to fit this place into my schedule.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
[QUOTE=wantan;25680274]are these for the location ? I'll be visiting the KL Meridian on the way to Aust, mainly for the just renovated lounge So if I do choose between those 2, it's going to be W. Rates are pretty similar too during early Dec.

Mostly location, given your question, but I also think the Meridien is a very solid hotel in TPE. I personally would not stay at the Grand Hyatt (no, not because I think it is haunted..sheesh). I have avoided the MO largely because of pricing and a suspicion that it might not be the best value for money (but open to be persuaded otherwise). You can do a search on here for people's thoughts on MO. Personally, I find them a bit hit or miss.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Stayed at MO Taipei back in April this year. Hard product is gorgeous, impeccable.

I hate when hotels cheap out like that. An MO shouldn't be doing that to normal guests or even FANclub bookings. I like hotels that allow a guest to try everything and be comfortable. Definitely a deal breaker for me with MO Taipei.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Aventine
I hate when hotels cheap out like that. An MO shouldn't be doing that to normal guests or even FANclub bookings. I like hotels that allow a guest to try everything and be comfortable. Definitely a deal breaker for me with MO Taipei.
Yes, me too. I complained loudly in both my TA review as well as the comments card. Hotel responded to say they thank me for my "constructive comments" and will look into this matter but looks like they are continuing the policy.

I still like the hotel though and will stay there when I go again to Taipei. It's practically the only premium luxury hotel there. But this time I will book a club room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.