Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels in Taipei

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: AC, BA
Originally Posted by deathscar
I'm glad the MO's setting up shop there. I've been meaning to go to Taipei/Taiwan but with the funky/whacky W...I'd like some other options
Agree. Taipei is severely lacking in luxury hotels; however, with no direct competition I find the rates at the MO to be in the stratosphere. I'm just going to miss the opening by a few weeks, but look forward to reading others reviews.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:50 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by allstar_yvr
Agree. Taipei is severely lacking in luxury hotels; however, with no direct competition I find the rates at the MO to be in the stratosphere. I'm just going to miss the opening by a few weeks, but look forward to reading others reviews.
Agreed. For such a large city, there is a dearth of luxury hotels. To be honest I'm surprised Pen hasn't opened up there considering they've done BKK, Manila, Shanghai, Beijing. Seems like the next logical step?

There seem to be a couple of interesting hot-spring retreat options* in the mountains near Taipei though...but I suppose if you want to explore the city, that's not an ideal base camp.

*Has anyone tried Villa 32 in Taipei?
Old May 21, 2014, 2:27 am

Mandarin Oriental has opened. Looking forward to staying here this summer.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Well, it will be interesting to see how the MO does. Without the 3rd night free offer, base rooms are significantly more expensive than MO's in Singapore and even Tokyo. Management is apparently expecting about 50% of guests to come from the Mainland.
Old May 30, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Got a room booked at the MO for this Friday. I'll report.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
I stayed at both the Okura and the Regent hotels last summer. And I found them both quit luxurious, especially the Okura. Had a corner room with floor to ceiling windows on both corners overlooking a park.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by taipeipeter
Well, it will be interesting to see how the MO does. Without the 3rd night free offer, base rooms are significantly more expensive than MO's in Singapore and even Tokyo. Management is apparently expecting about 50% of guests to come from the Mainland.
Yeah, richest people in the world are from the mainland.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
I'll try the MO next time, but at the moment, I prefer the Meridien of the options there.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
I'm staying with MO TPE next Monday. I sent the concierge an e-mail last Wed to inquire some local info and if they can book a concert ticket for me, and so far I have not received any reply
Actually when I called them up last week to ask for concierge's e-mail, it took the concierge a minute to "remember" their e-mail address.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by instyleprincess
I'm staying with MO TPE next Monday. I sent the concierge an e-mail last Wed to inquire some local info and if they can book a concert ticket for me, and so far I have not received any reply
Actually when I called them up last week to ask for concierge's e-mail, it took the concierge a minute to "remember" their e-mail address.
Hope you will put up a trip report though.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:31 pm

hi..

Hyatt is in the best place but it's not a resort that I'd suggest, but indeed excellent for company and shopping and the third vote for hyatt

I like Sherwood, Landis is just too far out from the town middle, or you can try Les Suites...
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:23 am

Was just in Taipei last weekend and stayed at the Okura Prestige. Decent sized room with views of planes landing and taking off from the Songshan Airport but not a view of the airport itself. Good service and close to train station. Not close to Sinyi district though and pick W or Le Meridien if you want to be close to those locations.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by deathscar
Agreed. For such a large city, there is a dearth of luxury hotels. To be honest I'm surprised Pen hasn't opened up there considering they've done BKK, Manila, Shanghai, Beijing. Seems like the next logical step?

There seem to be a couple of interesting hot-spring retreat options* in the mountains near Taipei though...but I suppose if you want to explore the city, that's not an ideal base camp.
My observation is that in Taipei there are tons of small, midrange 3-4* hotels scattered across the city that represent excellent value. These properties are more than satisfactory for business travelers and also draw in visitors who have a specific destination (e.g., close to family that they're visiting) or want to be right on top of public transportation. I've stayed in 800sqft+ suites for just over US$200/night and while no one will mistake it for 5* accommodations, this makes luxury a really tough proposition especially when the MO is not a very impressive-looking property.

As far as the hot springs hotels in Xinbeitou, all the ones I looked at appear to be scaled-down if not lousy versions of Japanese chains while still trying to charge what those chains charge in Japan.

Last edited by gengar; Nov 4, 2014 at 4:39 pm
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Trying to decide between

SPG : W, Le Meridien, Westin and Sheraton
MO (Anniversary Sale, 1 night free) , ShangriLa or Grand Hyatt

I only have SPG Gold and no status with the rest. Arriving for holiday in Dec , which would be a good place to try ? Hoping for good connection to public transport which I understand MO is quite isolated ?
Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Originally Posted by wantan
Trying to decide between

SPG : W, Le Meridien, Westin and Sheraton
MO (Anniversary Sale, 1 night free) , ShangriLa or Grand Hyatt

I only have SPG Gold and no status with the rest. Arriving for holiday in Dec , which would be a good place to try ? Hoping for good connection to public transport which I understand MO is quite isolated ?
W or Meridien.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.