Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels in Taipei

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels in Taipei

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:41 pm

On the theory that there is no true luxury in Taipei; would you pick the Grand Hyatt, Shangri La or Westin?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

why not sherwood?

if acceptable location - villa 32 / landis
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by speedbird001
On the theory that there is no true luxury in Taipei; would you pick the Grand Hyatt, Shangri La or Westin?
If just hardware wise, there is, which is the new W. Superb rooms. Service still needs polishing though..
Old Nov 8, 2011, 2:37 am

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
None of them above is true luxury, but Grand Hyatt has the best location, note that it's an old hotel and the rooms are tired.

W Taipei does have great hardware, and even better location than Grand Hyatt. Service is a bit slow, and some staffs snobbish
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: US CP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by instyleprincess
None of them above is true luxury, but Grand Hyatt has the best location, note that it's an old hotel and the rooms are tired.

W Taipei does have great hardware, and even better location than Grand Hyatt. Service is a bit slow, and some staffs snobbish
I stayed at the W Taipei in September and agree that the hardware is fairly nice (much better than most W hotels that I have stayed at), but the service was really lacking. The food was also very disappointing. While the breakfast buffet at The Kitchen Table looked good, the food wasn't very hot and was rather bland. I didn't go back after the first bad experience. I had also looked forward to eating dinner at Jereme Leung's YEN, but was exteremely disappointed with the meal that I had there.

Has anyone tried one of the les suites in Taipei?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:23 am

Has anyone stayed at the Palais de Chine?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Has anyone stayed at the Palais de Chine?
I've never checked the rooms at Palais de Chine, but had terrible experience at their Cantonese restaurant (supposedly famous in Taipei).
Service there was very slow and rude, avoid!!!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:08 pm

I just walked by the Mandarin Oriental property on Dunhua N. Rd, and I see that they attached the 'fan' logo to the top of the hotel. Any word on when the hotel is opening?

Last edited by hotelfan; Jan 23, 2012 at 9:09 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Originally Posted by hotelfan
I just walked by the Mandarin Oriental property on Dunhua N. Rd, and I see that they attached the 'fan' logo to the top of the hotel. Any word on when the hotel is opening?
yes, indeed. lots of words. It's going to open in autumn 2010. It's going to open in 2011. O, wait a minute....

For what's it's worth, my friend liked staying at the Palais de Chine, but I don't think much of the location (depending on where you want to go, of course).
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, QF/HH/TG/SQ GOLD
Originally Posted by hotelfan
Probably early next year, they just completed a show room which is designed by Tony Chi.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
The NYTimes has just given the W Taipei a positive (but not loving) review: http://travel.nytimes.com/2012/02/05...tml?ref=travel. They liked the rooms, views, comfort, service, English, food, & pool. Yet the review's tone was slightly snotty, in my reading: "The décor could be described as luxury Ikea: white lacquer, burnished wood, floral carpeting and whimsical elements, like three tubular tables topped by faux tree rings, by a comfortable chaise." Bottom line: "...the W Taipei provides familiar, luxurious comfort in flawless English. Strenuously hip if mildly pretentious, it strives to make you feel part of the in-crowd, but it doesn’t come cheap."
Old May 3, 2012, 8:13 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I've got an overnight in Taipei later this month. It sounds like the W is the way to go, no?
Old May 3, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I have not been for a couple years but Sherwood used to be the best IMO. You might want to check and see if still as good. May be dated by now, don't know. Always preferred to grand Hyatt.
Old May 4, 2012, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by NYBanker
I've got an overnight in Taipei later this month. It sounds like the W is the way to go, no?
I have no personal experience, but according to several of my Taiwanese friends, the W is by far the best choice in Taipei.

It certainly seems to be the most modern hotel in the city, and to have the best room/suite product.
Old May 6, 2012, 9:18 am

I am posting this from Park Taipei!

It is situated on Xinyi Road, very near to Da'an MRT station.

Reminds me very much of Hansar Bangkok. I think more people need to try it.

Not really any need for the Shangri-La or Hyatt prices, when you have this little gem for half the price, with probably the same levels of comfort and service.

Although, today I had a nasty suprise when I came back to my room in the afternoon to find housekeeping staff standing there watching my TV! But only a small blip, I really recommend this place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.