Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels in Taipei

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:57 am
Suspended

Programs: mosttraveledpeople.com
Service at the Landis was excellent. Food was very good too.

The location is good for getting to the airport, but a little far from the center.

The design is rather intimate, Art Deco style, somehow lacks grandezza.

There is no pool. I think there was a jacuzzi on the roof-top, but not a really luxurious set-up there.

Landis is member of LHW.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by splatnz
Any updates on this thread? I usually stay at the Grand Hyatt in Taipei but the rooms are pretty tired so am thinking of trying somewhere else.

Important things for me are room quality, possibly a club level, located close to an MRT, a nice pool is a bonus.
They're going to renovate the GH next year.

Le Meridien is opening in a few months (9/1 or 10/1), W opening on 12/28, and the MO should also open by the end of the year.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by paul2
Thanks Instyleprincess. I will suggest Sherwood for their next trip if it is convenient for their meetings. I think IIRC that The Landis was briefly a GHM hotel or was planned to be.
paul2 - the Lalu at sun moon lake was a GHM hotel for a brief period ....and not the Landis

also ..

agreed that tthe grand hyatt taipei is tired as well as impersonal but the grand club is excellent - service wise ...top notch ..but .why they are mostly an all women crew beats me !!!

i was given a suite and found some tiny creepy crawleys in my bedroom on my BED !! - so i think it not only needs a reno it needs a spring clean !!!n - and they did nothing to mitigate this issue when it was brought to their attention but then again ..the grand cliub ladies were just tooooo nice and i just could not make a fuss ........!!!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's an impressive looking (from far away/from the outside) hotel in a prominent pagoda near one of the night markets but (unless it's been extensively re-done) it is not luxury. I visited to see the building and have a cold drink and the place was even depressing and seemed to be not at all popular.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Landis

I stayed for a week in a one-bedroom suite in the Landis booked thorugh either LHW or FHR. I liked that the hotel is not too large and locally owned: the opposite of a big chain hotel. It seems to be very highly regarded. The staff seem to know their guests and to be careful about security.

The location is an older part of downtown Taipei without many high rise buildings. I remember a famous temple in about the next block and many small businesses/shops catering to locals. I walked to the opera complex and tomb. IIRC, there is a small low-key, modest and tame, red light district centered on a major side street about four blocks away. The hotel seemed well located relative to the airport in that one can avoid the major downtown congestion.

My suite was fairly small (narrow rooms) with nondescript furnishings in good condition. Both rooms had prominent dehumidifiers, which are common in Taiwan. The bathroom was fairly large. Toiletries were generous and nice. Turndown included some good imported chocolates. The king bed was comfortable with luxurious linens. The living room had a large desk. There was a black leather sofa and dark draperies, which made the room seem dark.

I thought the service was good, including being given personalized stationery and printed name cards upon arrival. The concierge was very good at explaining local wedding etiquette to me and obviously was familiar with the venue.

I liked the French restaurant, including for breakfast. It's good for either a light meal or fine dining. Locals seem to use it (and the hotel's function rooms and catering) for prestigious events.

Perhaps my most distinct memory is the hotel's system for taxi departures. Only taxi companies and drivers known to the hotel are permitted to pick up passengers at the door. Taxi prices are regulated, so this doesn't involve higher costs. The doorman writes the guest's name/room number, time and date, destination, taxi company, taxi number, and driver on a piece of self-carbon paper and gives one copy to the departing guest. The other copy is held at the concierge desk until the guest returns to the hotel. A colleague warned me that there have been some incidents with Taiwan taxis so this procedure made me feel safe.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 11, 2010 at 9:44 am Reason: problems posting, so did it in chunks
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:20 pm

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
Thanks - I've stayed at the Landis in Tainan several times and always enjoyed it (good breakfast buffet in the basement!).

I'll give the Landis Taipei a go and then Meridien and W when they open. Hopefully by then the GH will have renovated the guest rooms (they're currently doing the pool and gym). It is a great location and as others have metioned the Club lounge has pretty decent food especially when compared with similar hotels eg GH Singapore.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
Off topic, but I strongly suggest getting some fresh bread from this shop. The owner just won this year's World Master Baker in Paris. ^

http://www.hoganbakery.com.tw/
Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, QF/HH/TG/SQ GOLD
Originally Posted by splatnz
Thanks - I've stayed at the Landis in Tainan several times and always enjoyed it (good breakfast buffet in the basement!).

I'll give the Landis Taipei a go and then Meridien and W when they open. Hopefully by then the GH will have renovated the guest rooms (they're currently doing the pool and gym). It is a great location and as others have metioned the Club lounge has pretty decent food especially when compared with similar hotels eg GH Singapore.
GH will start renovation the guest rooms after Le Meridien and W hotel opening.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's an impressive looking (from far away/from the outside) hotel in a prominent pagoda....
I think you're thinking of the "Grand Hotel" (which has a traditional-like roof). It was first built in the 1950s for visiting foreign dignitaries. It's lost a bit of its raison d'etre since then. There's a great kitchen-restaurant scene set there in Ang Lee's "Eat, Drink, Man, Woman", though.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Any recommendations? The last thread on this was quite some time back. Strangely for a major asian city, the usual luxury chains, ie FS, RC, MO, St Regis and Pen are all missing. For reference, I've tried Sheraton and Shangri-la and they are OK as business hotels but I'm not impressed by either.

I plan to stay 4 nights, 2 for business ( may try the Westin this time ) and 2 for leisure.

Well no matter either you are traveling for business or leisure, Taipei has a huge chain of hotels including economy hotels to luxury hotels. If you are looking forward to stay in any luxury hotel then The Landis Taipei Hotel and The Westin Taipei are highly recommended. The former was is class luxury in style and is the member of “The leading hotels of the world” whereas; the later one is also classic luxury in style. It offers superb interior decoration and the art of gracious accommodation.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have stayed at the Landis a few times.
The rooms are pretty non-descript, however they are comfortable and very quiet.
The staff are fantastic- as noted by others extremely attentive to the security and overall "contendedness" of the guests.
The rooftop Jacuzzi is nothing special, however if you want to relax after a long day it will do for a few minutes.
The bartenders are really experts on cocktails- and at least once a week there is a general manager reception.
This is my choice in Taipei.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
The Lalu Sun Moon Lake is a great escape. Many scenic areas in Taiwan are known to be small and the hotels (hostels more appropritately) are fairly small and run down, however, this 5-star hotel is excellent and was a good escape for me and the SO. They truly make you feel at home, from the moment you are let off the car at the entrance by the porter. Steepest price I've seen at a hotel in Taiwan so far (7,200 NTD/night or $225 USD/night) but very worth it. I believe there is a limousine van pick up from Taichung HSR, but I could be wrong.

Another, HotelOne in Taichung, Taiwan. This was the site of a proposed Park Hyatt or InterContinental (I've heard both rumors) that was decommissioned in 2002ish I believe and the Cathay Life Group continued and I believe the Landis picked up the hotel project from there. Definitely a great stay for business travellers and conveient location as well. However, the scheme and design for the whole hotel is a blatant and obvious ripoff from any W hotel (imo).

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Strangely for a major asian city, the usual luxury chains, ie FS, RC, MO, St Regis and Pen are all missing.
I don't want to delve into a politics thread but this has more to do with the 2000-2008 ruling party's politics that transitioned from an international gateway to more of a domestic run government. The Marriott, Intercontinental and Hyatt dropped projects during this time and the Sheraton, Holiday Inns started expanding on the island around 2007 (Hsinchu Sheraton, Le Meridien Taipei late 2010 open).

Also I believe FS has a minority stake in the Grand Formosa Regent in Taipei, I could be wrong.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:44 am

Programs: Royal Ambassador, HHonor DM, Eva Air Gold
For exhibition like COMPUTEX , GH is perfect for the location; there are department stores, Taipei 101, movie theater(VIESHOW Cinema), MRT stations. Neighborhood areas crowded in weekends. W hotel and LM are to be open in the same district.

Shangri-la Taipei is the hotel that my relatives stay all the time when visiting Taipei. Quiet Neighborhood, some nice restaurants in the nearby alley. 10-20 minutes to most part of central Taipei City by taxi.

Westin Taipei somehow charges higher in standard rooms than other hotels(I don't know about the suites). And the food is notorious. None of the restaurant is suggested. Also there is MRT construction undergoing in front of the entrance. Crowded neighborhood during traffic hours.

Sheraton is the hotel close to the Taipei Railway Station and High Speed Railway Station; for people also plan to visit other cities, Sheraton may be good for them. Various kinds of foods are provided in the restaurants in Sheraton: Thai-food(SUKHOTHAI), Pizza house(PIZZA PUB), Cantonese Food(THE DRAGON), Japanese (MOMOYAMA).

Grand Formosa is more popular to the Japanese tourists. There are almost all the brand name stores you may think of located in the B1 floor and the surrounding buildings. No more DFS on B2 due to contract issues. I visited the Steak House(ROBBINS) almost every week. ALso the Teppanyaki house is nice. Azie on the first floor also serve various kinds of foods. Don't go to the Brasserie(1st floor) for lunch or dinner. The Silks Club Restaurant located on the 21st floor(LAN TING) is also a good place for Chinese cuisines. The swimming pool is outdoor, and open all year round (warm water in the winter). Many clubs and karaoke stores in the nearby alleys. (most of the staff could speak good Japanese)

Royal Taipei is just next to the Grand Formosa, belonging to Nikko's Hotel International. Most are Japanese customers. Cantonese restaurant " Ming Court" is famous for its dim sum. It's just renovated. Room rates are a little bit lower than Grand Formosa I believe.

Landis Taipei is more famous for service and some of its restaurants, but its location is a little bit far away from central Taipei.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:44 am
Suspended

I'm in Shangri-La at this moment and it's a REALLY good hotel and wonderful pool on the top
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Solitaire
I've been to Taipei twice this year, and I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt on both times. Location is perfect, it is beside, or walking distance from Taipei 101 tower. Service was great. However, the regular rooms are dated, especially the bathrooms. On the other hand, the grand deluxe's? bedroom that I had on my first trip was nice.

Im planning on my next trip there again, I might want to try a boutique hotel, such as eclait. Or maybe even try the new Le Meridien or W when it opens on schedule.

rgds,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.