FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels in Taipei (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1032323-luxury-hotels-taipei.html)

BENLEE Dec 27, 2009 7:36 am

Luxury Hotels in Taipei

Any recommendations? The last thread on this was quite some time back. Strangely for a major asian city, the usual luxury chains, ie FS, RC, MO, St Regis and Pen are all missing. For reference, I've tried Sheraton and Shangri-la and they are OK as business hotels but I'm not impressed by either.

I plan to stay 4 nights, 2 for business ( may try the Westin this time ) and 2 for leisure.

Kagehitokiri Dec 27, 2009 8:51 am

sherwood and landis were the other best regarded here.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 9029078)

(there was also a newer SLH mentioned here, no report.)

the_amanized Dec 27, 2009 9:49 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE (Post 13060512)
Any recommendations? The last thread on this was quite some time back. Strangely for a major asian city, the usual luxury chains, ie FS, RC, MO, St Regis and Pen are all missing. For reference, I've tried Sheraton and Shangri-la and they are OK as business hotels but I'm not impressed by either.

I plan to stay 4 nights, 2 for business ( may try the Westin this time ) and 2 for leisure.

For the 2 leisure days, I would suggest that you stay in villa 32 if you don't mind its slightly "off the beaten path" location. It is by far the best hotel in Taipei, 6 suites with an italian restaurant. A majority of the hotel ground is dedicated to the onsen (hot spring). It is a wonderful experience to bath outdoor under giant trees by the hillside. The service there is pretty good while the food is at a decent level. It does have a impressive wine collection though.

instyleprincess Dec 27, 2009 6:03 pm

Well, Hyatt is in the best location but it's not a hotel that I'd recommend, but indeed great for business and shopping

I like Sherwood, Landis is just too far out from the city center, or you can try Les Suites

I'd recommend Villa 32 for leisure, but not convenient for business as it is located outskirts of town

mike_la_jolla Dec 27, 2009 8:54 pm

Taipei: Grand Hyatt gets my nod ...

Originally Posted by BENLEE (Post 13060512)

I get to Taipei often on business. The Grand Hyatt is one of my favorites anywhere. It is one of the few hotels in the world I look forward to on business. Make sure to get some dumplings at DinTaiFung.

luxury Dec 28, 2009 12:45 am

How is the Grand Formosa Regent?

yauponaustin Dec 28, 2009 12:49 am

2nd vote for the grand hyatt

BENLEE Dec 28, 2009 1:16 am

Originally Posted by yauponaustin (Post 13065207)
2nd vote for the grand hyatt

The Grand Hyatt location indeed is great, but the rooms furnishing look so old fashion from their website photo.

BENLEE Dec 28, 2009 1:22 am

Originally Posted by luxury (Post 13065197)

I'm thinking about this too. It's managed by FS though not an official FS hotel. But it has very mix reviews. People either love it or hate it.

Q Shoe Guy Dec 28, 2009 4:29 am

Originally Posted by luxury (Post 13065197)

It ain't what you are looking for......well then again we have disagreed about the YVR FS so.......To tell you the truth I enjoyed my stay at the Grand Hyatt but it is the best of a middling lot.....the rest of the 5* are overrun with package tourists from another island nation to the north!

Fly Me To The Moon Dec 28, 2009 5:12 am

I haven't tried these yet, but how about some boutique hotels?

1.) Les Suite Taipei? www.suitetpe.com
2.) Hotel Quote? www.hotel-quote.com

BENLEE Dec 28, 2009 7:06 am

Anyone tried this yet?

http://www.eclathotels.com/taipei/

On website, looks good. Lots of gadgets / amenities but I'm not sure, after some experience, hotels with too much of these gadgets often have more style than substances. Ie, nice to look / play but not practical / comfortable.

the_amanized Dec 28, 2009 10:05 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE (Post 13066055)
Anyone tried this yet?

http://www.eclathotels.com/taipei/

On website, looks good. Lots of gadgets / amenities but I'm not sure, after some experience, hotels with too much of these gadgets often have more style than substances. Ie, nice to look / play but not practical / comfortable.

Ben:
You are right about the boutique hotels having more gadgets & style than substances. But more often the issue for me is the lack space and facilities in these hotels. Some of them may be reduced to a place simply to sleep overnight. Almost all hotels in Taipei are strictly for business and none of them try to strike a balance between business and leisure. In a few years Taipei will see high end hotels like Mandarin Oriental and perhaps a FS. But for now I think the one with best room and amenities is grand Formosa while grand hyatt has the best location. In terms of service I would say Landis is pretty good. Non of the hotel comes out as a clear choice given the standard of the luxury hotel forum on flyertalk. So I would say just pick what suites your needs.

Kagehitokiri Dec 28, 2009 10:30 am

thanks for villa 32 details the_amanized. how does it compare to landis and sherwood? (service)

are MO and FS still in development, or were they suspended?

the_amanized Dec 28, 2009 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 13067276)
thanks for villa 32 details the_amanized. how does it compare to landis and sherwood? (service)

are MO and FS still in development, or were they suspended?

You are very welcomed Kage,

Villa 32 is not really a business hotel, it used to be a private club that belongs to a wealthy Taiwanese family. The facilities and service, in my opinion, is much more attentive than landis or sherwood because villa 32 only has 6 suites in total, which allows them to provide an more intimate service (remembering your names, discrete, telepathic...etc).

As far as I know, in early 2009 MO is in the pre-sale phase of their service apartment. So I reckon the project is still on. As for FS, no news is heard yet.