Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels in Taipei

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:01 pm

Programs: Accor,LHW,SLH,Hyatt,SPG,iPrefer,Design Hotels
Originally Posted by BENLEE
Any recommendations? The last thread on this was quite some time back. Strangely for a major asian city, the usual luxury chains, ie FS, RC, MO, St Regis and Pen are all missing. For reference, I've tried Sheraton and Shangri-la and they are OK as business hotels but I'm not impressed by either.

I plan to stay 4 nights, 2 for business ( may try the Westin this time ) and 2 for leisure.
Besides Villa 32, you may consider Maple Garden Landis Resort Beitou near Villa 32. I had stayed at Summer Villa with all inclusive service (dinner,breakfast,public bath, MRT pickup service). You may enjoy personal hot spring in the 4 different spacious Villas.
Here is my Maple Landis photo gallery.

For business, my favorite one is always Sherwood. For the warm service like home. They had renovated their rooms in a elegant style;the price is reasonable.
Sherwood room

Speaking of "renovated rooms", Royal Taipei (right next to Grand Formosa) had just completed their renovation by some famous Japanese design team.I think it's fantastic.

I don't recommend Westin. There's some MRT construction right in front and the service+food are not that good in Taipei.

And you're right. I don't think right now any business hotels in Taipei provide the standard quality as FS, RC, MO, St Regis and Pen. Eclat is good but just too small.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
thanks for villa 32 details the_amanized. how does it compare to landis and sherwood? (service)

are MO and FS still in development, or were they suspended?
MO is still in construction stage, so is FS (they already have a land, and there's construction going on, but no further news)

W Hotel Taipei will probably open soon
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by jordychen

Speaking of "renovated rooms", Royal Taipei (right next to Grand Formosa) had just completed their renovation by some famous Japanese design team.I think it's fantastic.
Oh my, I can't help but chuckle The chinese name of this hotel is actually 台北老爺大酒店. BTW, the website isnt working.

I don't recommend Westin. There's some MRT construction right in front and the service+food are not that good in Taipei.
Thanks for the tip. I'm a light sleeper so noise is always a concern.

And you're right. I don't think right now any business hotels in Taipei provide the standard quality as FS, RC, MO, St Regis and Pen. Eclat is good but just too small.
What do you think of the Regent Grand Formosa?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:49 am

Programs: Accor,LHW,SLH,Hyatt,SPG,iPrefer,Design Hotels
Oh my, I can't help but chuckle The chinese name of this hotel is actually 台北老爺大酒店. BTW, the website isnt working.

Guest Room
Xmas decoration (Today)

Thanks for the tip. I'm a light sleeper so noise is always a concern.

What do you think of the Regent Grand Formosa?
I like it much better than Hyatt, Shangri-la & Westin.
spacious rooms,Regent Galleria DFS,famous spa, great food & restaurents, TAI PAN Residence...plus night life and some famous spots: De Chuan Tea
SPOT-Taipei Film HouseRose Historic Site

Kindly see my photo collection for corner suite / SPA room / superior room
Some bad quality pics (Today)

Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:42 am

As already mentioned, Villa 32 and Maple Landis is reasonably good for a hot spring resort, but I also like the Spring Park Urai in Wulai ,about 50min's drive from Taipei.
The MO is definitely happening, no news of the FS though.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:57 am

The Grand Hyatt location indeed is great, but the rooms furnishing look so old fashion from their website photo.
Yes, like I have mentioned in your post in another forum starting with T, the grand rooms are indeed VERY dated, can't figure out why the management never realised that; but the grand deluxe are reasonably young.The new rooms,(renovated some 2 years back, that is) are located on the last 2 storeys of the hotel, mostly suites.

Personally, I still prefer Hyatt over Regent despite their 'aged' rooms, probably because of their stella service and location, I guess.Oh, and the food too. I love ALL their restaurants.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Thanks everyone for your feedback. In the end, I decided on the Grand Formosa Regent. Hope it's the right choice.

I generally try to avoid Hyatt hotels whenever I can ( unless it's a Park Hyatt ) due to repeating past bad experience when staying at this chain in other places. Also, the Hyatt Taipei hotel rooms looks really old.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:17 pm

Thanks everyone for your feedback. In the end, I decided on the Grand Formosa Regent. Hope it's the right choice.

I generally try to avoid Hyatt hotels whenever I can ( unless it's a Park Hyatt ) due to repeating past bad experience when staying at this chain in other places. Also, the Hyatt Taipei hotel rooms looks really old.
Grand Formosa is a good hotel but avoid their restaurants!!!
I hope you'll have a great time in TPE
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by instyleprincess
Grand Formosa is a good hotel but avoid their restaurants!!!
I hope you'll have a great time in TPE
Thanks instyleprincess! BTW, what's wrong with their restaurants? Poor food? Poor service? I've always been impressed with the huge selection of restaurants in most Taiwan 5star hotels. Usually 5 or 6 or more.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:25 pm

Thanks instyleprincess! BTW, what's wrong with their restaurants? Poor food? Poor service? I've always been impressed with the huge selection of restaurants in most Taiwan 5star hotels. Usually 5 or 6 or more.
No problem! Grand Formosa (and other so-called 5* hotels too) tried to boost up their revenue by reducing the meal rates or gives out free coupons etc, so their restaurants could look like some crazy night market, especially on weekends, and yes bad food and bad service.

There are lots of good restaurants near Grand Formosa and in Taipei, so I'd highly recommend that you eat outside of the hotel, TPE is small city so close distance to anywhere. I'm sure the hotel concierge can come up a list of restaurants that suit your preference. Have fun!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 5:43 pm

No problem! Grand Formosa (and other so-called 5* hotels too) tried to boost up their revenue by reducing the meal rates or gives out free coupons etc, so their restaurants could look like some crazy night market, especially on weekends, and yes bad food and bad service.

There are lots of good restaurants near Grand Formosa and in Taipei, so I'd highly recommend that you eat outside of the hotel, TPE is small city so close distance to anywhere. I'm sure the hotel concierge can come up a list of restaurants that suit your preference. Have fun!
Hi Instyleprincess, is Sherwood your only recommendation for Taipei?

Colleagues of mine have stayed on their last two trips at The Landis and really liked it (although they did mention weddings & large meetings when interrogated by me!). The distance from Taipei wasn't a concern as the production facility they were visiting was outside the city.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by paul2
Hi Instyleprincess, is Sherwood your only recommendation for Taipei?

Colleagues of mine have stayed on their last two trips at The Landis and really liked it (although they did mention weddings & large meetings when interrogated by me!). The distance from Taipei wasn't a concern as the production facility they were visiting was outside the city.
Hi Paul, I've only been to Landis once due to its inconvenient location (need to get there by car or taxi, and there's not much to do there), their french and chinese restaurants are very famous though. But what I've heard, The Landis is highly regarded.

I like Sherwood, good location and neighborhood to go around, great food, and lots of great restaurants around the hotel too. I've never stayed there, but the service I received at their restaurants and at their events, they're really good.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:23 pm

Hi Paul, I've only been to Landis once due to its inconvenient location (need to get there by car or taxi, and there's not much to do there), their french and chinese restaurants are very famous though. But what I've heard, The Landis is highly regarded.

I like Sherwood, good location and neighborhood to go around, great food, and lots of great restaurants around the hotel too. I've never stayed there, but the service I received at their restaurants and at their events, they're really good.
Thanks Instyleprincess. I will suggest Sherwood for their next trip if it is convenient for their meetings. I think IIRC that The Landis was briefly a GHM hotel or was planned to be.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by paul2
Thanks Instyleprincess. I will suggest Sherwood for their next trip if it is convenient for their meetings. I think IIRC that The Landis was briefly a GHM hotel or was planned to be.
I didn't know about the GHM....but The Landis is managed by a highly regarded hotelier, probably one of the most famous hoteliers in Taiwan, very well respected in several areas.

The Landis and The Sherwood are both Leading Hotels of the World I think.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:47 am

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
Any updates on this thread? I usually stay at the Grand Hyatt in Taipei but the rooms are pretty tired so am thinking of trying somewhere else.

Important things for me are room quality, possibly a club level, located close to an MRT, a nice pool is a bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.