Luxury Hotels in Taipei

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels in Taipei

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: FT
Just my 2 cents but IMO, the rooms at the MO in Taipei were fantastic. In fact, they were better than the MO in HKG that I also stayed at. Granted, I was in the little business room but still, compared with the larger harbour view rooms I have stayed it, it is in my top three rooms of hotels I have stayed at. To compare, last week I was at the MO Macau, then MO HKG and then MO Taipei and I thought the Taipei room was the best of the three. They were all VERY nice so this is really a matter of first world problems.

Taxi's are SOOOO cheap in Taipei that where you stay is really not a big deal since if you can buck up at the MO or GH then some cheap $150-200NT$ rides are the least of your concerns.
asiandude likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
Just my 2 cents but IMO, the rooms at the MO in Taipei were fantastic. In fact, they were better than the MO in HKG that I also stayed at. Granted, I was in the little business room but still, compared with the larger harbour view rooms I have stayed it, it is in my top three rooms of hotels I have stayed at. To compare, last week I was at the MO Macau, then MO HKG and then MO Taipei and I thought the Taipei room was the best of the three. They were all VERY nice so this is really a matter of first world problems.

Taxi's are SOOOO cheap in Taipei that where you stay is really not a big deal since if you can buck up at the MO or GH then some cheap $150-200NT$ rides are the least of your concerns.
I completely agree with your comparisons to the other Mandarin Oriental properties. The hard product at MO Taipei is excellent, and the staff told me the original owner poured a lot of money and heart (it was somewhat of a dream project) into the design of the hotel. Until Four Seasons decides to open a hotel in Taipei, the MO will probably remain my first choice.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Had 2 recent stays at MO. Both booked through FHR so the usual FHR amenities and we got upgraded on the 2nd stay. Very nice hard product overall. Huge walk-in closet for even the lowest category rooms. Some higher floor rooms have nice distant views of Taipei 101. Quiet neighborhood and very close to Song Shang Airpot. Breakfast spread was impressive with plenty of Chinese and western choices, including a make-to-order noodle and omelette station. All breakfast items are nicely done and presented. I don't recall any limits on hot items as mentioned in some earlier posts.

Last edited by sleepro; Sep 12, 2016 at 6:29 pm
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:18 am

Just got back from Taipei where I managed to stay at several properties. Mandarin Oriental is still by far the best option, and there's really nothing else that can compare in terms of luxury. Hard product was even better than my previous stay (the bathrooms now have Japanese-style toilets), and service was flawless (best English-speaking staff out of all the hotels I visited). The addition of the shopping arcade is also a nice touch since there's not much else for tourists within walking distance. The pool area (which I didn't get to see previously) is gorgeous and has a very resort-like atmosphere with the lush landscaping and intricate architecture. It's a shame that Taipei doesn't have more luxury hotels on this level. For such a major tourist city, it's shocking that all the major luxury hotel brands are absent save for Mandarin Oriental.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:07 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
Just got back from Taipei where I managed to stay at several properties. Mandarin Oriental is still by far the best option, and there's really nothing else that can compare in terms of luxury. Hard product was even better than my previous stay (the bathrooms now have Japanese-style toilets), and service was flawless (best English-speaking staff out of all the hotels I visited). The addition of the shopping arcade is also a nice touch since there's not much else for tourists within walking distance. The pool area (which I didn't get to see previously) is gorgeous and has a very resort-like atmosphere with the lush landscaping and intricate architecture. It's a shame that Taipei doesn't have more luxury hotels on this level. For such a major tourist city, it's shocking that all the major luxury hotel brands are absent save for Mandarin Oriental.
Yea there's really not much in Taipei.

If anyone is interested, my colleague visited (and stayed at MO). Video and review below - won't create a whole new thread for this one:
https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/mand...-hotel-review/

Think there's a clash of opinions on the pool though! I haven't been personally, but the photos don't look great - and the maintenance poolside was very, very poor.

Last edited by chinmoylad; Dec 19, 2017 at 5:13 am
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Just returned from Taipei few days ago. Originally tried to book the MO but they are being difficult with my agent on amenities so I re-booked to Shangri-la. Shangri-la has refurbished / renovated all their rooms and the result is a marked improvement. The bathroom especially is impressive, with great water pressure and a huge tub. The electronic toilet even comes with it's own remote control! I stayed at a Horizon Premier room with a great view of Taipei 101. What more, the rates are also much lower compared to MO. The club lounge is kind of small but the breakfast there is excellent. One can also order hot items from a separate menu.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4639/2...1e75c7_b_d.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4691/3...73b43c_b_d.jpg
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Think there's a clash of opinions on the pool though! I haven't been personally, but the photos don't look great - and the maintenance poolside was very, very poor.
The pool itself is a bit on the small side for a hotel of this size, but I really loved the beautiful and elaborate mosaic tiling. I can't say I noticed any glaring maintenance issues either. I was lucky to be one of the only guests using the pool, as I guess many locals do not feel like swimming outside in winter (even though the pool is heated).

Shangri-La was probably my second favorite from this trip. I agree with the points in BENLEE's review. I found the Shangri-La very good value for money, and the Taipei 101-facing suites are quite impressive. I did feel service was a bit lacking compared to the Mandarin Oriental, as we did not receive turndown service on both nights despite staying in a suite. We did get a voucher for a complimentary upgrade on our next stay (within one year) though.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:47 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
The pool itself is a bit on the small side for a hotel of this size, but I really loved the beautiful and elaborate mosaic tiling. I can't say I noticed any glaring maintenance issues either. I was lucky to be one of the only guests using the pool, as I guess many locals do not feel like swimming outside in winter (even though the pool is heated).
When were you there? My colleague went in April/May and it was REALLY bad - something I'd expect not even at a 3* (torn towels, ripped linen on the sun loungers etc). We pointed this out to them so they may have made more of an effort now - it was weird because he said the rest of the hotel was in pretty good shape maintenance and upkeep wise.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
When were you there? My colleague went in April/May and it was REALLY bad - something I'd expect not even at a 3* (torn towels, ripped linen on the sun loungers etc). We pointed this out to them so they may have made more of an effort now - it was weird because he said the rest of the hotel was in pretty good shape maintenance and upkeep wise.
I was there early December, so it's likely they were fixed after your feedback. I agree it should never have gotten that bad in the first place though.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I think I wrote the first trip report on the Taipei MO. FWIW, you can read it here.

MO TPE Trip Report

Last edited by 5khours; Dec 20, 2017 at 4:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.