Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2020, 2:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Tickets purchased in Japan are excluded
Do you mean purchased in Japan or a route via Japan? I have a AMS - SYD ticket via HND ticketed as LH but flying on NH - purchased from LH.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 2:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Sorry, correction: all tickets with Point of Commencement in Japan are excluded.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:03 am

LH Group ( Swiss) refuses to issue a voucher if the ticket is purchased through OTA.
​​​​​​My flight to Chile is not canceled yet, but I want to receive a voucher according to the LH Group options.
Has anyone managed to get a voucher from an OTA?

​​Even if the flights are canceled, it will be almost impossible to get a cash refund from OTA, so I prefer to ask for a voucher now.
​​

Last edited by Paul74; Aug 26, 2020 at 3:11 am
Old Aug 26, 2020, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Paul74
LH Group ( Swiss) refuses to issue a voucher if the ticket is purchased through OTA.
​​​​​​My flight to Chile is not canceled yet, but I want to receive a voucher according to the LH Group options.
Has anyone managed to get a voucher from an OTA?
Even if the flights are canceled, it will be almost impossible to get a cash refund from OTA, so I prefer to ask for a voucher now.
​​
Of course LX will not issue a voucher for tickets that you have purchased from an OTA. LX may not even know how much you paid for the ticket. You need to deal with the OTA and your bad if your choose a OTA that doesn't issue vouchers.

Asking to cancel and issue a voucher before your flight is cancelled is a bad idea.
Paul74 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Of course LX will not issue a voucher for tickets that you have purchased from an OTA. LX may not even know how much you paid for the ticket. You need to deal with the OTA and your bad if your choose a OTA that doesn't issue vouchers.

Asking to cancel and issue a voucher before your flight is cancelled is a bad idea.
Part of the trip ( Miami - SCL) is operated by Latam and was cancelled and automatically resheduled for the next day, but owner of ticket is Swiss ( Zurich - SCL) and the reservation in my Swiss account has not even changed yet.

There are plenty of Airlines that directly issued vouchers even for OTA purchased flights . I already got such vouchers from FlyLevel, Aegean, Ryanair...

Last edited by Paul74; Aug 26, 2020 at 5:57 am
Old Aug 26, 2020, 8:03 am

What? Not at all. Call in a and say there was a schedule change and you have been rebooked to a new flight schedule that you cannot accept and that you want a full refund. That in itself is a significant schedule change and reason. See sections 4.1.2, 4.1.5 and 6 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/sha...ile_141893.pdf
Thanks for all the help. I called this morning and told them that since the time and flight had changed, I wanted a refund. She immediately agreed and put it through. She stated it would take 2-3 months. What a difference between the first and second phone call. What a relief! She did tell me they were starting to cancel flights in early 2021.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 26, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by Paul74
Part of the trip ( Miami - SCL) is operated by Latam and was cancelled and automatically resheduled for the next day, but owner of ticket is Swiss ( Zurich - SCL) and the reservation in my Swiss account has not even changed yet.

There are plenty of Airlines that directly issued vouchers even for OTA purchased flights . I already got such vouchers from FlyLevel, Aegean, Ryanair...
It is no problem.
I had also ticket with Swiss, but Lufthansa took it over for me and issued new ticket for next year under same PNR.
Paul74 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
It seems starting yesterday all change fees are waived till the end of the year for all existing and new bookings. This is to bring LHG in line with new IAG and AF-KL policies. New bookings can be changed online, existing/old bookings you need to call in or contact the issuing TA. If the original RBD is not available you have to pay a fare difference. Change of origin and destination is allowed. Tickets purchased in Japan are excluded. Domestic tickets in Germany cannot be converted to international tickets due to tax reasons.
Am I right in guessing change of origin (or destination) carries a fare increase?

I note some other airlines allow a change within region (e.g. Turkish, for destination), within a distance range (QR, for destination), or within country (QR, for origin).
Old Aug 27, 2020, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Am I right in guessing change of origin (or destination) carries a fare increase?

I note some other airlines allow a change within region (e.g. Turkish, for destination), within a distance range (QR, for destination), or within country (QR, for origin).
If the new fare (regardless of destination, class of service) is higher you need to pay the fare difference. If the new fare is cheaper - you won't get any refund. LHG only waives the change fee.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

My understanding is if your flight is cancelled, then free rebooking for travel till Dec 2021 to same destination and same class of travel with no extra rebooking or fare difference if that ticket booking code is available. If you change routing or class of travel, you will have to pay the difference in price.
If your flight is not cancelled and you want to change the booking, currently no rebooking fee but change of fare still applies.
If your know your new fare is cheaper, I would suggest you can get a voucher (if you booked before 15th May) and use it for the new booking so LH does not keep the money to themselves and if your new travel is before Dec 2020, then you get an extra 50 Euros discount on your voucher on your new flights but only if you book within the next 4 days.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dselvan
My understanding is if your flight is cancelled, then free rebooking for travel till Dec 2021 to same destination and same class of travel with no extra rebooking or fare difference if that ticket booking code is available. If you change routing or class of travel, you will have to pay the difference in price.
If your flight is not cancelled and you want to change the booking, currently no rebooking fee but change of fare still applies.
If your know your new fare is cheaper, I would suggest you can get a voucher (if you booked before 15th May) and use it for the new booking so LH does not keep the money to themselves and if your new travel is before Dec 2020, then you get an extra 50 Euros discount on your voucher on your new flights but only if you book within the next 4 days.

It's OK, my only quibble is with the rather throwaway line "Change of origin and destination is allowed". Of course it's allowed, but with Lufthansa only if you pay the difference.

I get's confusing when Turkish offered me a completely free change to any destination in the same region (after a Cairo cancellation), and Qatar gives ticket holders the freedom to switch to anywhere within 5,000 miles of the booked destination, no fare increase, even if the change is voluntary... as well as the ability to change airport within the origin country.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
It's OK, my only quibble is with the rather throwaway line "Change of origin and destination is allowed". Of course it's allowed, but with Lufthansa only if you pay the difference.

I get's confusing when Turkish offered me a completely free change to any destination in the same region (after a Cairo cancellation), and Qatar gives ticket holders the freedom to switch to anywhere within 5,000 miles of the booked destination, no fare increase, even if the change is voluntary... as well as the ability to change airport within the origin country.
Totally agree IAN-UK.
The terms and conditions for LH COVID rebookings are not explicitly clear since there are words like "may" etc.
And I thought BA was bad
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:36 pm

Today I contacted LH to get an update regarding my canceled flight from IAH-FRA A class.
She told me the following:

I booked this flight in October 2019. and I have a valid voucher from LH of 50 Euros noted on my reservation.

If I make a booking on or before August 31 for travel until Dec. 31 .. Then there will be no fare difference and voucher applies.
If I book After August 31 for travel until Dec.31 .. Then no fare difference but no voucher.
If I book after October 10th ( one year from purchase date).. Then no voucher and fare difference will apply.
If I want to travel next year until Dec31 2021 .. I need to make booking by Jan31 2021
If I do not make booking by Jan 31 2021 .. I lose the value of the ticket.

Question for the experts, dose this sound right?
Old Aug 29, 2020, 12:47 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by KSA_USA
Today I contacted LH to get an update regarding my canceled flight from IAH-FRA A class.
She told me the following:

I booked this flight in October 2019. and I have a valid voucher from LH of 50 Euros noted on my reservation.

If I make a booking on or before August 31 for travel until Dec. 31 .. Then there will be no fare difference and voucher applies.
If I book After August 31 for travel until Dec.31 .. Then no fare difference but no voucher.
If I book after October 10th ( one year from purchase date).. Then no voucher and fare difference will apply.
If I want to travel next year until Dec31 2021 .. I need to make booking by Jan31 2021
If I do not make booking by Jan 31 2021 .. I lose the value of the ticket.

Question for the experts, dose this sound right?
Yes and No.
If your flights were cancelled by LH you can put the booking on hold and rebook the same routing for all of 2021 by January 31st with no fare difference. After that date since LH cancelled your flights you can still ask for a full refund!
Don't go for the voucher. The voucher will only give you the value of the ticket to be used on a new ticket on any routing plus the 50 euro voucher if you rebook until August 31st.be valid. You can of course use the voucher later as well without the 50 eur discount, but you can only rebook via the hotline which usually quotes higher prices than available on the website. And eventually the voucher will expire. Don't go for the voucher.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by woobl
Can someone just clarify the August 31st point in the waiver? The language used on the LH suggests that you need to rebook by the 31st August in order to have the rebooking fee waived. Or is it that you need to have booked the original ticket by this date in order to qualify for the fee waiver? For example, having a ticket booked on, say 28th August means I can rebook after the 31st August and still have the fee waived.

The language isn't too clear to my eye so just want to check.

Thanks in advance!
I don’t suppose anyone can clarify my post from above? I just need to know regarding the 31st August point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.