Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2020, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Looking at the Guideline to Lufthansa Group's goodwill policies I was under the impression that rebooking (outside of the 3-day window) should be possible without fare difference. When I called them this morning to arrange such rebooking for a flight that was supposed to depart tomorrow (but has been canceled) they did not want to rebook without fare difference.

Is this policy still applicable? Is it a matter of HUCA?
As you will notice in this thread we have received mixed reports about being able to rebook to a later date without recalculation or the fare/payment of fare difference. Apparently the outcome very much depends on the agent that you talk to, so my best advice is try call/try again. Good luck!

Last edited by SK AAR; Jun 12, 2020 at 3:33 am
Old Jun 12, 2020, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Looking at the Guideline to Lufthansa Group's goodwill policies I was under the impression that rebooking (outside of the 3-day window) should be possible without fare difference. When I called them this morning to arrange such rebooking for a flight that was supposed to depart tomorrow (but has been cancelled) they did not want to rebook without fare difference.

Is this policy still applicable? Is it a matter of HUCA?
It is sad (and frustrating, annoying) that agents are not giving he full picture. Could be they are badly trained, uninformed, having a bad day - but as the approach seems systematic, it could be they have been instructed to steer customers into paying more.

I repeat the joyful comment i got from one agent "If the fare is higher, why wouldn't you have to pay the difference?"

I've catalogued my experiences in other posts. I'm into my third month of waiting for two refunds, and patiently wait for my August flight to be cancelled - when I'll join you trying to re-schedule, without paying extra.

It seems the key might be finding availability in the same cabin but in the fare-class - designated by the letter attached to the fare (e.g A or F for first-class, and a whole alphabet for economy). You could do your own research, checking the dates you want have availability in the fare-class of your ticket; or maybe test the patience of the agent to search around the dates you want.

So certainly hang up, maybe do some research on Expertflyer or ITA, then call again !!!

One problem I ran into was with a trip in premium economy to Medan, which included Singapore Medan sectors on Silk Air. This seemed enormously troublesome for the agent to reschedule at less than EUR750 extra (on aN EUR800 ticket), So it went into the refund queue.

I reckon this mess, coupled with the unhappiness over straightforward refunds, can only have a negative impact on Lufthansa's post-COVID sales.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: United 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
I have read all posts and am still unclear what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Have a roundtrip flight booked with LH for FRA-Tokyo in July. Tickets were very expensive (~2400 euros) since it was during time of Olympics. Olympics are cancelled, but as of right now, LH is still flying daily to Tokyo and no flights on reservation are cancelled. I don't want to rebook as I won't be going to Japan anytime soon. Also, as of right now Japan has an entry ban for people flying from Europe. It's valid til mid summer.

So I don't know what to do:
- Rebook is not an option, not going to Japan anytime soon
- They won't cancel so I can't apply for refund...with LH or with my credit card right?
- But I can't enter country so? Can I get a refund then even if flight isn't cancelled?
- Do I get a voucher for the whole paid ticket amount but can use on multiple flights? I mean, it doesn't cost 2400 euros to fly to London from Frankfurt, so will I get the amount leftover? Like I can book a flight to USA for 1200 and then the remaining voucher to say Asia? Or use it to buy say 3 tickets?

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2020, 8:04 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by nkwal
I have read all posts and am still unclear what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Have a roundtrip flight booked with LH for FRA-Tokyo in July. Tickets were very expensive (~2400 euros) since it was during time of Olympics. Olympics are cancelled, but as of right now, LH is still flying daily to Tokyo and no flights on reservation are cancelled. I don't want to rebook as I won't be going to Japan anytime soon. Also, as of right now Japan has an entry ban for people flying from Europe. It's valid til mid summer.

So I don't know what to do:
- Rebook is not an option, not going to Japan anytime soon
- They won't cancel so I can't apply for refund...with LH or with my credit card right?
- But I can't enter country so? Can I get a refund then even if flight isn't cancelled?
- Do I get a voucher for the whole paid ticket amount but can use on multiple flights? I mean, it doesn't cost 2400 euros to fly to London from Frankfurt, so will I get the amount leftover? Like I can book a flight to USA for 1200 and then the remaining voucher to say Asia? Or use it to buy say 3 tickets?

Thanks!
-No you can't.
-Basically No, unless you can get an embassy statement from Japan saying that you are denied Entry (based on the denied visa clause in LHs terms of carriage), but that's a long shot.
-Don't go for the voucher. Many agents refuse to transfer or create new vouchers with a potentail remaining value. Not to mention you can only use them via phone and they quote higher prices than on the website which is just straight out fraud imho.
The only thing worth considering would be getting the vocuher so you would get the value of the voucher refunded in January 2021.

Wait for one of your flights to be cancelled and appy for a full refund then. Don't worry, chances are very good that at least one of your flights will be cancelled. And for most of July they haven't adapted and hence cancelled the flights yet.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Time is on your side, one or the other segment of your reservation will surely be cancelled.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
I just called to LX today about a ticket that was changed because of a cancelled flight segment, the rep told me it takes up to 14 days until the ticket get's confirmed..? The flights are next year.., do these changes get applied in batches?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:51 am
Suspended

Two of my non-refundable (P) flights on a LH/OS/ANA itinerary, bought through LH's website, have been cancelled. There is a 'refund' button at the bottom of the booking when I log into LH and look at 'My Bookings'. I hesitate to use this because I'm unsure whether this refund button is for cancelling flights yourself as opposed to an operational cancellation by the airline. I was assuming that I would have to call? Any advice?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 4:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You should call in, that way it is processed correctly.
FlyerTalker46423 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 4:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by SK AAR
As you will notice in this thread we have received mixed reports about being able to rebook to a later date without recalculation or the fare/payment of fare difference. Apparently the outcome very much depends on the agent that you talk to, so my best advice is try call/try again. Good luck!
If the flight is cancelled general INVOL rebooking policies apply. Yes you need to push for these, but I had 100% success for free rebooking under INVOL guidelines (no fare difference or fee) on 3 tickets (2x LX via two different travel agents, 1xLH direct on senator line) - it does take several hours as they need to read and reread the guidelines, and possibly contract trade travel advice of LH group, but do not get repelled by the 50euro voluntary change stuff, push for INVOL rebooking if cancelled
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:37 pm

I got an email about an LH group flight change and the change seems to be that the very last flight on the return leg is now leaving at 1400 instead of 1110, arriving at 1455 instead of 1205. The flight number has remained the same.

Would this entitle me to a refund/cancellation or do I just have to accept it? They haven't given me the option of anything, it was just an email notifying me of changes.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I would say that you are entitled to cancel and a full refund as the schedule change is inconvenient and thus unacceptable for you. Call and explain the situation. But be aware that any refund will most likely take months before the amount is credited back to your credit card.

I assume that you have booked directly with LH/LH Group airline. If you booked via TA/OTA you need to deal with the TA/OTA (and it may be more difficult to get the TA/OTA to accept to cancel and refund the ticket; this has been reported several times).
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I would say that you are entitled to cancel and a full refund as the schedule change is inconvenient and thus unacceptable for you. Call and explain the situation. But be aware that any refund will most likely take months before the amount is credited back to your credit card.

I assume that you have booked directly with LH/LH Group airline. If you booked via TA/OTA you need to deal with the TA/OTA (and it may be more difficult to get the TA/OTA to accept to cancel and refund the ticket; this has been reported several times).
Yes, it was directly with LH and the email came from them. I still want to go on this trip but borders are still very much so closed and I don't know if I would be allowed in, so seems handy to have it cancelled if things improve, I can rebook (at a cheaper price than what I paid!).
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tranmerechris
Two of my non-refundable (P) flights on a LH/OS/ANA itinerary, bought through LH's website, have been cancelled. There is a 'refund' button at the bottom of the booking when I log into LH and look at 'My Bookings'. I hesitate to use this because I'm unsure whether this refund button is for cancelling flights yourself as opposed to an operational cancellation by the airline. I was assuming that I would have to call? Any advice?
Just as a data point - after an hour on hold 9AM CET cancelled and promised refund without any pushback from agent.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Speaking of the refund - has anyone actually received any for the cancelled flights?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Speaking of the refund - has anyone actually received any for the cancelled flights?
yes, there are a few posts out where people confirm that they received a refund. I have received one refund last week after approx. 2 months wait time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.