Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2020, 3:42 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by 8420PR
Wow - that's an impressive timeline of events. I am 100% sure you will get the money back, just with a bit longer wait. The rejected chargeback has no impact on Swiss's legal responsibility, just delays it as a reasonable company (not that Swiss is being reasonable) would no longer provide outstanding goods or services until the timeline for the issuing bank to contest the decision is complete (8 weeks from memory?).

Out of interest, did the 2 lawyers give any reason why they wouldn't take the case?
Thanks. I hope you're right.

One lawyer was in Germany (where I'm now based) and recommended by several FT members, but couldn't take on the case since the flights do not touch Germany. Another was in the UK, whom I read about because he made comments in the press about potential for class action suits against various EU airlines, and just never heard back. I guess to pursue the legal path, I'll need to find a good lawyer in France (or Switzerland or Argentina?), but I have no leads and don't really want to spend any more time going down that path.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Here's an odd one...

I continue my marathon to get a ticket for a cancelled trip left open for rescheduling for a later date....without repricing.

Really simple ticket: Manchester to Buenos Aires via Frankfurt, all on Lufthansa. Bought ages ago, flights cancelled by LH. I'd like to retain the (good) price on a PE fare.

Response (from Manila team) was odd. I've edited the conversation a little:
"You even get a EUR50 bonus to set against any fare increase if travel is in 2020"
"fare increase?? "
"Yes, I see you paid £875. If the new ticket costs £950 you pay the difference"
"So what advantage does that give me over a refund, then buy a new ticket?"
"EUR50 discount"
"I have in front of me Lufthansa instructions to travel agents. It says to rebook at no fare increase."
"That is for flight irregularities. We might be able to apply this in your case"

Is it possible agents are being told to push passengers away from refund, but to into repricing ?

I hope not. Because I find that sort of trickery deeply disturbing.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I continue my marathon to get a ticket for a cancelled trip left open for rescheduling for a later date....without repricing.

Really simple ticket: Manchester to Buenos Aires via Frankfurt, all on Lufthansa. Bought ages ago, flights cancelled by LH. I'd like to retain the (good) price on a PE fare.

"You even get a EUR50 bonus to set against any fare increase if travel is in 2020"
"fare increase?? "
"EUR50 discount"
"I have in front of me Lufthansa instructions to travel agents. It says to rebook at no fare increase."
"That is for flight irregularities. We might be able to apply this in your case"

Is it possible agents are being told to push passengers away from refund, but to into repricing ?

Could be.
However, having experience with our in-house Manila call center, it could also be that the agent just hasn't realized that this WAS a flight irregularity, because the words "cancellation" and "flight irregularity" are not the same.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP

"fare increase?? "
"EUR50 discount"

Question, do you guys get transferred to the Manila team?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Granite64
Question, do you guys get transferred to the Manila team?
No idea how it works. Serendipity, perhaps.

Calling from the UK I sometimes get Cape Town, sometimes Manila, maybe sometimes somewhere else. It's the accent that gives it away. Occasionally I ask.

I tried calling the Poland line (Skype is our friend), because fellow poster hugolover suggests that gets Brno, and a more helpful response. But after 20 minute's waiting i gave up.

Anyway I've given up. I'll wait a couple more months for a refund, then buy a new tickets from whoever offers the best fare.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
No idea how it works. Serendipity, perhaps.

Calling from the UK I sometimes get Cape Town, sometimes Manila, maybe sometimes somewhere else. It's the accent that gives it away. Occasionally I ask.

I tried calling the Poland line (Skype is our friend), because friend hugolover suggests that gets Brno, and a more helpful response. But after 15 minute's waiting i gave up.

Anyway I've given up. I'll wait a couple more months for a refund, then buy a new tickets from whoever offers the best fare.

Well I called LX for my cancelled flights to AKL, got connected to Cape Town; it was a wonderful experience. Rebooked within 10 minutes. I can not select my seats (on the LX segments ) yet though, is this normal?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK AAR
You refer to recalculation of a fare not being available anymore (rather than up-fare to higher booking class). For cancelled flights I would expect LX to rebook without recalculation of the fare based on the new fare code, also because the booking class would remain the same.
Had a similar situation for a friend I booked via my TA. Original LH flight was end of May and cancelled by LH. Friend agreed to rebook to November, but fare shot up from $ 2700 to over
$5K (P > C class). Rebooked on alternate dates in P class at original fare. 4 days later I find P-class opened up on desired dates. TA (who does a lot of LH/LX premium bookings) contacted LH and got ok to rebook to new/desired dates a no extra charge.
Kudos to LH for being flexible!
Another example of the value a good TA can provide!!
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Advice please

Can someone clarify since I am confused.
We have a MAN- FRA- DEL- ZRH-MAN in November / December in First.
My understanding was that I could move it once for free till 30th April but reading here there might be a fare difference to pay as well?
It seems like some people are getting change of date for free and some are not.
Any suggestions if I do need to change dates to April for free?
Bought this in the UK through Amex travel on sale in January.
Thank you for any advice.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Dselvan
My understanding was that I could move it once for free till 30th April but reading here there might be a fare difference to pay as well?
If your flight is cancelled and you are willing to rebook, you do not need to pay any applicable fare difference.
If your flight IS NOT CANCELLED and you are seeking for a VOLUNTARY rebooking, you would need to pay any applicable fare difference.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If your flight is cancelled and you are willing to rebook, you do not need to pay any applicable fare difference.
If your flight IS NOT CANCELLED and you are seeking for a VOLUNTARY rebooking, you would need to pay any applicable fare difference.
Thank you ISTFlyer.
At the moment it is voluntary since flight not cancelled yet. Just looking at the options in case India are not allowing anyone in by a December. Poor wording of Lufthansa/Swiss terms and conditions which were very confusing.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Thank you ISTFlyer.
At the moment it is voluntary since flight not cancelled yet. Just looking at the options in case India are not allowing anyone in by a December. Poor wording of Lufthansa/Swiss terms and conditions which were very confusing.
You're welcome.
If India is not allowing anyone until December, probably LH and LX might cancel their flights or reduce frequencies over there.
I would suggest you to wait closer until the travel date to make further modifications on your booking, and also a reminder that as your booking is an agency ticket, you would need to deal with AMEX Travel for any change on your booking.
Dselvan likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

you may well be correct, but i had a quite different story from a lufthansa agent last week. There again, I had quite a numer of such stories.

But the interesting one was that I could rebook my as yet uncancelled august ticket for a date in 2021 for no extra fare IF I could find flights with the same fare class.

I took it with a pinch of salt, but who knows?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you may well be correct, but i had a quite different story from a lufthansa agent last week. There again, I had quite a numer of such stories.

But the interesting one was that I could rebook my as yet uncancelled august ticket for a date in 2021 for no extra fare IF I could find flights with the same fare class.

I took it with a pinch of salt, but who knows?
In my original post I used the sentence:

Obviously, if there is no fare difference - availability in the same fare class, you wouldn't need to pay.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite

Sure, the reply from the LH agents was fully line with the goodwill rebooking policy of LH Group - for flights that are not cancelled you can rebook once without payment of change fee; no upfare is applicable as you found flights with same booking class available. So not so much a "different story" from what has been reported in this thread.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
First of all you need to deal with AMEX travel; LH will refuse to touch these tickets and refer you to contact the OTA/TA.

Secondly, it is way too early to rebook flights for November/December. Hopefully, things are back to normal by then and you will be able to fly. If you nevertheless want to rebook for next year, it will be a voluntary change and dealt with according to the fare rules, except that you will not have to pay the change fee for first time you change the tickets. Obviously, the fare will be recalculated based on current fares and if you booking class is no longer available you would need to pay the up-fare; both can be pretty nasty so I strongly advice you to wait until much closer to you departure date to see if your flights are cancelled or not. If they are not cancelled you need to make a decision by then whether to travel as booked - or to pay for postponement until April next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.