Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2020, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by more4less
I received this info by mail yesterday and I phoned this morning to see if it was possible to rebook, without repricing, one booking I had to SE Asia next August to early Dec., with Mrs more4less, in Biz.

I am a bit lost
Lost?? Me too

I reckon most of us simply want either a next-week refund, or a no-cost shift to travel in the same cabin, to the same destination, some time in the future.

Lufthansa doesn't want to refund, so surely it'd be easier, less confusing, better customer-service policy, to follow the second option across the board and shift bookings forward.

It's puzzling that they're unable to publish clear information on this, instead of including vague hints that we might face higher fares if we "change fare-class or switch from short-haul to long-haul".

I'm guessing most folk interpret "fare-class" as the cabin-class, but it seems Lufthansa may be referring to the alphabet soup of specific fares: or maybe not. Perhaps he German version is clearer.

Is the inconsequential EUR50 they offer a thank-you, or a sop to lay against the likely (or unlikely) fare increase?

The agent told me that he would have to send it to ticketing to see if it was possible or not.
Maybe they are tackling requests on a case by case basis, asking their revenue gurus if there's a high opportunity cost in releasing a February 2021 seat for a cheap fare grabbed in 2019 for a June 2020 trip, now cancelled.

They'd need to put the cost of returning my EUR2,000, plus the risk I'll then spend it on another carrier next year, against the difference between the price they think they could get for a February 2021 seat and my EUR2K i paid.
more4less likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 3:24 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Originally Posted by SK AAR
You have a ticket in December and now you want to invoke the current Covid´-19 goodwill rebooking rules to rebook your flights without fee/upfare? Why do even think that LX will/should allow this? Hopefully, everything/most flights are back to normal by December.

Well, if your flights are cancelled then it is another matter, but so far there is no indication of the SIN flights being cancelled for December.
Because as far as I know the rules allow me to move to a date upto December 2021. however the wording in fare difference is unclear
Old May 26, 2020, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
Because as far as I know the rules allow me to move to a date upto December 2021.
...but certainly not without payment of fare difference. It is payment of the change fee that is waived.
Old May 26, 2020, 7:02 am

I received this info by mail yesterday and I phoned this morning to see if it was possible to rebook, without repricing, one booking I had to SE Asia next August to early Dec., with Mrs more4less, in Biz.
The agent told me that he would have to send it to ticketing to see if it was possible or not.
I am a bit lost
I just edited my original post that a few people quoted because I meant to say I understood that there would *not* be repricing for those who booked prior to May 15. If repricing was required for all changes, why would they write "You can also change your destination and your travel class. Please note, that in these cases, an additional payment might be necessary, e.g. if you change to a higher travel class or if you rebook from a short-haul to a long-haul flight." So only repricing if you change destination and/or travel class?

...but certainly not without payment of fare difference. It is payment of the change fee that is waived.
This still isn't clear to me and we are still very uncertain if travel in early August will be wise, or if entry into the country will even be possible. We are going to visit in-laws who are 90 and 87 years old. We are in a wait and see position now, but are guessing that there is a better than 50% chance that we will not travel (either by choice or due to continued rules). If not being refunded, I would certainly hope to be able to change our dates under the same terms, destination and class of service, as our original tickets, with no change in price.

Last edited by SusanDK; May 26, 2020 at 8:43 am
Old May 26, 2020, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Obfuscation in their use of English, and possibly of German, is to blame for the confusion:

You can also change your destination and your travel class. Please note, that in these cases, an additional payment might be necessary, e.g. if you change to a higher travel class or if you rebook from a short-haul to a long-haul flight.

For the non-geek, travel class means economy, premium-economy, business or first. If what they mean is "the cost of your new trip will be recalculated at fares currently in place"; then they should say so.

I can't think anyone, geek or non-geek, would expect to convert a Frankfurt Paris ticket into one taking them to Mexico City without additional payment.
Old May 26, 2020, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Obfuscation in their use of English, and possibly of German, is to blame for the confusion:

You can also change your destination and your travel class. Please note, that in these cases, an additional payment might be necessary, e.g. if you change to a higher travel class or if you rebook from a short-haul to a long-haul flight.

For the non-geek, travel class means economy, premium-economy, business or first. If what they mean is "the cost of your new trip will be recalculated at fares currently in place"; then they should say so.
Don't worry, the German wording is also not bullet proof...

I can't think anyone, geek or non-geek, would expect to convert a Frankfurt Paris ticket into one taking them to Mexico City without additional payment.
Well, because of precedents like the McDonalds coffee case (https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts) we all have to enjoy the added disclaimers and clarifications. Common sense is considered old school.
Old May 26, 2020, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that the wording is not clear. I guess it remains to been seen how LH/LX will deal with it.

I believe it makes a big difference if your flight is cancelled or not, i.e. if the rebooking is involuntary. In case your flight is cancelled I believe you should be entitled to rebook without payment of fare difference. However, for someone with flights in December, who seek to rebook to a later date without payment of fare difference, I certainly expect resistance from LH to do this without a recalculation of the fare/payment of up-fare. It may also make a difference if the same booking class is available or not; e.g. for cheap P class fares. I would expect LH to refuse to rebook (voluntary rebooking) a P class ticket into expensive flights around Christmas with only D or C class available - the goodwill policy rules were never designed to entertain such rebookings.

As for SusanDK with flights in August, there is still a possibility that the flights will be cancelled closer to travel date and you will be allowed to rebook to later dates without add. payments. If you voluntarily decide to rebook (the flights are not cancelled but you decide to cancel and rebook because visiting elderly in-laws will be too risky) I'm not convinced that LH will allow this without payment of fare difference. Again it may make a difference whether the same booking class is available or not.

NB: Payment of fare difference can mean two things; either rebooking into same booking class but the same fare is no longer available and only a more expensive fare code is available - or the same booking class is not available and rebooking into a higher booking class will be required, e.g. from P to D or C class. It should be quite obvious that the former is easier to achieve than the latter.

Last edited by SK AAR; May 26, 2020 at 9:14 am
Old May 27, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: Eurostar Avantage, FB Silver
Has anyone tried rebooking to a cheaper ticket? What happens in that case? Do you get the remainder in a voucher or in money?

I had a return LH/A3/OS ticket AMS-ATH for late april/early may. Usually prime holiday in NL. It was a mixed ticket: to ATH in Economy Classic 'S' class, on the return I took advantage of a good offer and upgraded to Business Saver 'P' class. Paid €315 at that time. My new dates are early October. I am still waiting on how the situation develops, but it currently looks more promising, so monitoring prices. I would pay about €240 for economy classic (I need a bag) or ca €380 for whole trip in Business Saver 'P'. I think with the 50 Euro voucher, the whole trip in P would mean an additional payment of about 20 Euros. But wondering what happens when rebooking to all economy?

Doubting if P is worth it, usually never fly business, looking at AMS lounges are closed/scaled back, what remains is the additional 'peace of mind' in this situation of an empty seat.
Old May 27, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Because as far as I know the rules allow me to move to a date upto December 2021. however the wording in fare difference is unclear
So I just called. The operator was helpful but had to refer each aspect of my questions. This might be good news as Male the answer was correct.

I am booked to Singapore from London our business back first. December 2020.

I wanted to know if I could rebook in line with policy and given there was no change in class or destination could she confirm that there was no fare difference.

She confirmed there is no fare difference as long as all change is date. I then asked questions about class of travel. Class is First / Business NOT the fare code. Mine were booked on one of the Swiss discount offers. Total fare was 3k ish,

So to try this I asked about moving to December 2021. That they can't do as they seem to be sticking to the 1 year in advance booking limit ( which I found odd given you can book to December 2021 in the policy) .

As an alternative we tried to move to a date in April 2021 which was fine. I did not move them for now.

So as long as she was correct ( and she did refer many times) you can just move your ticket as long as there are seats.
Old May 27, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
So I just called. The operator was helpful but had to refer each aspect of my questions. This might be good news as Male the answer was correct.

I am booked to Singapore from London our business back first. December 2020.

I wanted to know if I could rebook in line with policy and given there was no change in class or destination could she confirm that there was no fare difference.

She confirmed there is no fare difference as long as all change is date. I then asked questions about class of travel. Class is First / Business NOT the fare code. Mine were booked on one of the Swiss discount offers. Total fare was 3k ish,

So to try this I asked about moving to December 2021. That they can't do as they seem to be sticking to the 1 year in advance booking limit ( which I found odd given you can book to December 2021 in the policy) .

As an alternative we tried to move to a date in April 2021 which was fine. I did not move them for now.

So as long as she was correct ( and she did refer many times) you can just move your ticket as long as there are seats.
Call again and you will get a different answer. You should book when you hear a favourable response. The same thing happened to me and I finally cancelled. Mine was also J and F classes from AMS to BKK.
Old May 27, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Call again and you will get a different answer. You should book when you hear a favourable response. The same thing happened to me and I finally cancelled. Mine was also J and F classes from AMS to BKK.
For sure - just wanted to reschedule a ticket that was cancelled back in March.
LX ticket within Europe, upgraded to business with Swiss Choice on both legs (classes C and P). Wanted to reschedule for beginning of July. Agent came back after like 10 mins of pause: "Will cost 650 CHF extra". Tried to insist that it should be free of charge, but to no avail...
Old May 27, 2020, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Carpacchio
For sure - just wanted to reschedule a ticket that was cancelled back in March.
LX ticket within Europe, upgraded to business with Swiss Choice on both legs (classes C and P). Wanted to reschedule for beginning of July. Agent came back after like 10 mins of pause: "Will cost 650 CHF extra". Tried to insist that it should be free of charge, but to no avail...
Just check if the booking Class C and P is available in July. I just scheduled yesterday LX flight from ZRH to AUH from May 2020 to October 2020 without fare-difference. Last week the wanted to charge me around 5000 Swiss francs for the same change. Booking-Class was P (Discounted Business)
Old May 28, 2020, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MartijnH
Has anyone tried rebooking to a cheaper ticket? What happens in that case? Do you get the remainder in a voucher or in money?
No you don't.

You need to cancel/refund and book on your own if you want to take advantage of the lower fare. Good luck with the getting a timely refund though...
Old May 28, 2020, 3:36 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
I booked the flight ticket with AMEX Travel and they will charge me EUR30 for the rebooking? Can I rebook or call LH by myself?

We would be happy to request a fullrefund for your ticket from the airline.
Please be aware that this procedure could take at the moment up to 6 months.

We also can offer you the following rebooking options on behalf of Lufthansa:

Option 1: One rebooking/reissue, free of charge in accordance with the goodwill policy (TWP 2011) – with a discount
  • The rebooking/reissue must be completed on/before 31 August 2020
  • New start of travel on/before 31 December 2020 with a discount of EUR 50/USD 50/CHF 50
  • No rebooking fee
  • Start and destination of the journey can be changed (exception: German domestic tickets may not be changed into international tickets and vice versa)
  • Rebooking to an alternative Lufthansa Group flight/connection (flight number and operated by OS/LH/LX/WK/SN/EW/4U/EN) – or as per fare rule of new fare
  • Any fare in any compartment – the fare must be repriced. If necessary, a difference has to be charged, for example for the new route, booking class or season.
  • In the case of partially used tickets, the maximum fare and ticket validity may be ignored – the journey must be completed by 31 December 2021
  • Change of the passenger ("Name Change") is not permitted
  • The conditions of the new fare apply
  • These rebookings/reissues are also permitted for PNRs/tickets that have already been rebooked/reissued (earlier reissues based on a goodwill rule or due to cancelled flights)
  • The goodwill policy also applies to passengers who have been a no-show on their originally booked flight.
  • EMDs that were associated to the original ticket remain valid.
Option 2: One rebooking/reissue, free of charge in accordance with the goodwill policy (TWP 2011) – without a discount
  • The rebooking/reissue must be completed on/before 31 January 2021
  • New start of travel on/before 31 December 2021
  • No rebooking fee
  • Start and destination of the journey can be changed (exception: German domestic tickets may not be changed into international tickets and vice versa)
  • Rebooking to an alternative Lufthansa Group flight/connection (flight number and operated by OS/LH/LX/WK/SN/EW/4U/EN) – or as per fare rule of new fare
  • Any fare in any compartment – the fare must be repriced. If necessary, a difference has to be charged, for example for the new route, booking class or season.
  • In the case of partially used tickets, the maximum fare and ticket validity may be ignored – the journey must be completed by 31 December 2021
  • Change of the passenger ("Name Change") is not permitted
  • The conditions of the new fare apply
  • Please note that it is necessary to delete active and inactive flight segments from the PNR in time
  • The goodwill policy also applies to passengers who have been a no-show on their originally booked flight.
  • EMDs that were associated to the original ticket remain valid.

Option 3: One rebooking/reissue without any rebooking fee in accordance with the goodwill policy (TWP 2011)
  • Passengers can rebook once free of charge
  • The rebooking/reissue must be completed before the originally planned start of travel
  • New start of travel on/before 31 December 2021
  • Change of origin or destination of the journey is not permitted unless permitted by the original fare conditions

For a cancellation or rebooking we will charge a reduced service fee of 30.00 Euro per person.
Old May 29, 2020, 5:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Interesting new cover page to the invol rules:

ADAPTED REBOOKING AND REFUND POLICYCustomers may choose any of the flexible rebooking options published on lufthansaexperts.comIn case of a flight cancellation: If the original booking class is not available for the new travel date, you may currentlyrebook in the lowest available booking class within the same compartment/cabin (original class of travel). This appliesonlyto rebooking to Lufthansa Group flight numbers(OS/LH/LX/SN/EW/EN)If the passenger does not wishto make an immediate change to his booking after notification of the flight cancellation, the one-time free-of-charge rebooking and the subsequent ticket reissue can be done any time. Prerequisite: all remaining flight segments in the PNR are cancelled (no-showisnot permitted) and all inactive segments (e.g. UN) are removed latest 14 days after the schedule change has occurred(UN/TK/SC or according to ownairline system sent to booking originator)Tickets can be submitted for refund. However, due to the current situation there will be delays in processing refund requests.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
file_143775.pdf (830.2 KB, 261 views)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.