Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
If your flights were cancelled LH/OS/LX will rebook you onto an alternative within +/-3 days for free. Change of destination is not allowed.
Do you know if the rebooking can be on another Star Alliance partner? Our current booking on LH is MCO-FRA-CPH in August. I'm anticipating that the MCO-FRA leg could likely be cancelled since few travelers are going to Orlando from Europe right now.

A reroute on LH would require two connections instead of one, but an alternative may be SK.

Of course, all of this is still pending whether or not travel will be possible (or advisable) at all and if LH does cancel the MCO-FRA leg, we could presumably be refunded. Although we have an excellent business class fare that we may not be able to replicate if rebooking ourselves.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Do you know if the rebooking can be on another Star Alliance partner? Our current booking on LH is MCO-FRA-CPH in August. I'm anticipating that the MCO-FRA leg could likely be cancelled since few travelers are going to Orlando from Europe right now.

A reroute on LH would require two connections instead of one, but an alternative may be SK.

Of course, all of this is still pending whether or not travel will be possible (or advisable) at all and if LH does cancel the MCO-FRA leg, we could presumably be refunded. Although we have an excellent business class fare that we may not be able to replicate if rebooking ourselves.
The reason that Orlando flights are cancelled are not due to the low demand but due to the USA Travel restrictions which clearly state that people arriving from the EU should arrive at one of the 15 approved airports and Orlando is not one of them. That's why FRA-MCO vv is highly likely to be cancelled.

1. Passengers who have transited or have been in Austria, Belgium, Brazil, China (People's Rep.), Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Iran, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or in the United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe), in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter the USA.
-This does not apply to:
- nationals and permanent residents of the USA;
- spouses of nationals and of permanent residents of the USA;
- parents/legal guardians of an unmarried and younger than 21 years national or permanent resident of the USA;
- the unmarried and younger than 21 years brother or sister of a national or permanent resident of the USA, who is unmarried and younger than 21 years;
- the child/foster child/ward of a national or permanent resident of the USA;
- passengers with the following visas: A-1, A-2, C-1, C-1/D, C-2, C-3, D, E-1 (as an employee of TECRO or TECO or the employee's immediate family members), G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, IR-4, IH-4, NATO-1 through NATO-4, or NATO-6 visa;
- members of the U.S. Armed Forces, spouses, and children of members of the U.S. Armed Forces;
- passengers with evidence of traveling at the invitation of the USA government for a purpose related to the containment/mitigation of the Coronavirus (COVID-19);
- passengers with documents issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, or U.S. Department of State indicating that the passenger is exempt from the restriction;
- B1 crew crewmembers that are engaged in lightering, Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) activity, wind farm activity, private air/sea crew and other similar crewmember actives.
2. Passengers who have been in one of the countries listed in bullet number 1 in the past 14 days but are exempt from the restriction to enter the USA, must arrive at one of the following airports: Atlanta (ATL), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Dallas, (DFW), Detroit (DTW), Ft. Lauderdale (FLL), Honolulu (HNL), Houston (IAH), Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA), New York (JFK or EWR), San Francisco (SFO), Seattle (SEA) and Washington (IAD).

So, yes you could ask LH to rebook you on UA + SK but they would probably offer you a 2 stop connection ( presumably via ORD and FRA ) before accepting you to be rebooked on United and SAS.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:57 am

Thanks for the info. Hoping not to have to connect in ORD but I realize the other LH options (ATL, MIA) don't have a UA connection from MCO. We continue to wait and monitor the situation.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
LH/LX today cancelled my upcoming GVA-FRA leg. In order to make my original connecting flight FRA-HEL I would now need to leave the previous evening GVA-MUC and then the following morning do MUC-FRA. I'll try to make this change tomorrow, but am wondering whether they will pay for the hotel in MUC. Any suggestions on how to express myself to have the hotel paid? I definitely need to be on my original FRA-HEL flight and can't take a later one.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I was booked with LH on SFO-MUC-LIS on a UA award (016 ticket), departing July 5th. The MUC-LIS was cancelled and SFO-MUC changed schedule from 9pm departure to 5.30pm departure. As this happened just under 2 weeks prior to the first outbound flight, would I be eligible for EC261/2004? Can I ask LH to route me differently? I don't see award tickets available that would suit me and was hoping LH could do something here. Realize this may be a stretch though...
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by siege101
I just received an e-mail, a little bit more than 14 days out (by a few hours only) that my upcoming EWR-VIE & VIE-BUD have both been cancelled. I'm planning on going to Vienna this February because a hotel (Max Brown 7th District) there refused to refund me and would only give me a voucher. I got a great price on this fare and would pay almost a thousand more to rebook it, so I might just reschedule but I'm wondering if Lufthansa will bend me over the barrel because I want to change the arrival and destination cities, as I have no interest in Budapest now and was supposed to fly back to EWR from CDG. Might be worth it to just to take the train between Budapest and Vienna and then onto Paris.
I called to get a refund today, waited about a half an hour on hold and it took about 10 minutes on the phone to get it done. The operator said it would take an extended time for the funds to actually be refunded though, so now the waiting game begins.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by mrt88
I was booked with LH on SFO-MUC-LIS on a UA award (016 ticket), departing July 5th. The MUC-LIS was cancelled and SFO-MUC changed schedule from 9pm departure to 5.30pm departure. As this happened just under 2 weeks prior to the first outbound flight, would I be eligible for EC261/2004? Can I ask LH to route me differently? I don't see award tickets available that would suit me and was hoping LH could do something here. Realize this may be a stretch though...
Before you go through the hassle to get rebooked - are you sure you are allowed to enter Portugal under the given circumstances?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by SusanDK

See the rules here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/sha...ile_143775.pdf

Rebooking onto OAL or even SAL is unlikely as these airlines will not accept your ticket value. Your best bet is to locate LH codeshares to a gateway. Also you can ask for a relocation of the starting point within 250miles of your origin within the same country, so in your case MIA (only 192miles from MCO) may be an option. That said I think it is highly unlikely Denmark will allow you to enter from the US withour quarantine in August. Even if you are a citizen etc.

Originally Posted by Alec84
LH/LX today cancelled my upcoming GVA-FRA leg. In order to make my original connecting flight FRA-HEL I would now need to leave the previous evening GVA-MUC and then the following morning do MUC-FRA. I'll try to make this change tomorrow, but am wondering whether they will pay for the hotel in MUC. Any suggestions on how to express myself to have the hotel paid? I definitely need to be on my original FRA-HEL flight and can't take a later one.
Highly unlikely.

You need to contact UA for award changes. They can contact LH and ask for reaccomodation. LH will not touch UA awards and rebook them unless this happens at short notice (<24h). EU261 fines/claims are suspended since some time...
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
This is not IRROP and LH will refuse to do anything for you as this is an UA award. There is no point in calling LH about this.

You need to contact UA for rebooking.

But as already explained, you are unlikely to be allowed to enter EU from the US, so my guess is that you will have to cancel the travel plans.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by SK AAR
This is not IRROP and LH will refuse to do anything for you as this is an UA award. There is no point in calling LH about this.

You need to contact UA for rebooking.

But as already explained, you are unlikely to be allowed to enter EU from the US, so my guess is that you will have to cancel the travel plans.
Thanks for the advice, I'll see what UA can do, perhaps they can reach out to LH to fix this. I'm actually citizen/resident in the three countries (PT/DE/US), so from my understanding I should be allowed to travel this itin. I'm getting a COVID19 test done a couple of days before just in case as well to make sure I'm not a risk to others.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Can anyone help with this problem? I have a return itinerary LCA-VIE-TXL-VIE-LCA booked on www.lh.com on November 22nd last year with travel scheduled for June 26-29. These P class flights were recently cancelled and Lufthansa refused to accept a same-price rebooking on OS (the original carrier) for December 22nd to January 3rd. At first, they said recalculation of fares was necessary because the rebooking was for a different time period (11 days compared to 3 days). After I challenged this, the agent checked with her supervisor and then said fare recalculation was necessary because the rebooking is for a date more than 12 months after the original ticket was booked. What is the actual situation here? It seems that the only rational way to deal with Lufthansa these days is to join the 'chargeback brigade'.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try HUCA
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
See the irreg rules: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/sha...ile_143775.pdf

And the general waiver rules: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/sha...ile_147655.pdf

If the original booking class is not available, the next higher available booking class within the same travel compartment may be used only if the new flight departure date is within 3 daysbefore or after the original flight date
If you want to change the dates to >+/- 3 days from the original date, you need availability in P. If you stay within the dates, its the same cabin, not booking class. In your case you want to move the date from June 26-29 to December, so your only option is to find dates where the P class is still available. Alternatively you can ask them to delete the cancelled flight segments from your booking, insert a retention segment and you will call them again when you have dates that suit you. The original date of issue of the ticket doesn't matter anymore, that is nonsense. They can exchange the old ticket for a new one which can be more than 1 year from the original date of issue. But it has to be done before August 2020 and travel has to be before 31 DEC 2020. Tell them to apply the TWP2011 waiver.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry Oliver, but your statement above concerning the need for the specific booking class to be available when rebooking outside the +/- 3-day period, seems to contradict the information on page 1 of the flight irregularities and good will policy:

Following adaptions of the standard flight irregularity policy currently apply:

If the original booking class is not available for the new travel dates, you may rebook currently also in the lowest available booking class within the same cabin/compartment (original transportation class) outside the 3-day period (three days before/after the original flight). This is applicable only to Lufthansa Group flight numbers (OS/LH/LX/WK/SN/EW/4U/EN)

Could you please enlighten us?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh Allah, I thought Helga had finally caught up with LOT and would allow rebooking on any day of the pax's choosing, never mind RBD now I read Oliver says its only +/-3 days of the original flight dates otherwise you have to find the same RBD!!!

Terrible.

This contradicts what I was told for my bookings which were scheduled during the flight ban, I guess another call is in order to clarify the policy change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.