Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot strikes in Autumn / Fall 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kamel123
Well, I think the risk has definitely gone up. The union has announced that there will be a strike, so unless they restart negotiations in the very short term (which is unlikely), this is going to happen.

And why is there nothing to react to? Of course it is not in LH's interest that customers proactively move their bookings to other carriers as they fear to be affected by a strike. Last time there were strikes on longhaul (this year in March), I had a return flight SFO-FRA on LH in F which was cancelled and I was rebooked into SK via CPH in C. So thank you very much for making me lose half a day, sit on an angled seat and endure the wonderful SK food. So yes, I made it back, not a major disaster. But this time, I would proactively rebook by myself before the strike announcement comes out, because then it's likely to be too late.

I understand they want to keep it quiet, but not even having a small notice on the website while it's all over the news is frankly ridiculous.
Agreed.

Given there have been six strikes so far in the past 12 months involving Lufthansa it is not unreasonable to expect a seventh. I am not asking for the CEO to explain their negotiating strategy- I am just asking that at least on the webpage there is a one line warning of industrial action.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 5:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
My take is that LH doesn't think there will be a strike. The last one was called off by VC after they realised their base was not behind it.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 5:34 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I don't think LH has to post about this on its website. I do think, however, that all callcenter workers need to know about the situation in case they are quizzed by customers.

HTB.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:59 am

But the callcentre that superpointsLXflyer called was the Swiss SEN callcenter, i.e. LX. They didn't know, so they called LH and asked and got the answer. Seems reasonable to me...
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Actually a number of companies post about their labour disruptions using social media. They don't need to post about their negotiations- they can post- as they did for a very long time with the original Lufthansa lurker- via their twitter, Facebook, or even Flyertalk accounts.
I don't think any company would post their labour disruptions until a strike is actually announced. It would just lead to lost business. It would be similar to me telling my boss winter is coming, so I may get a cold, and don't want to take on any more meetings in case I am ill that day.

Also, LH seems to use their social media more to post pretty pictures of planes, as opposed to interacting with customers.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 8420PR
Also, LH seems to use their social media more to post pretty pictures of planes, as opposed to interacting with customers.
This is where my comment was focused on.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:16 am

So if I'm flying LH tomorrow longhaul, how far in advance would a strike be announced? When can I safely assume I'll be out of the woods as far as strikes go?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
So far 24h advance notice was the limit they imposed onto themselves. Previously it was 72h.

AFAIK LH is going to go all out this time, VC has lost a lot of internal support.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
My take is that LH doesn't think there will be a strike. The last one was called off by VC after they realised their base was not behind it.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
AFAIK LH is going to go all out this time, VC has lost a lot of internal support.
Happy to hear this, it was about time.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
http://www.vcockpit.de/presse/presse...b6aa00b80.html

Be prepared for next week......a strike will come to all flights and all stations...much easier for VC to have an impact that way!
Old Sep 27, 2014, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
http://www.vcockpit.de/presse/presse...b6aa00b80.html

Be prepared for next week......a strike will come to all flights and all stations...much easier for VC to have an impact that way!
Being an alarmist is not helpful. Where did you see the fact that a strike is coming next week to all stations? Or is creating unjustified facts a past time?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Being an alarmist is not helpful. Where did you see the fact that a strike is coming next week to all stations? Or is creating unjustified facts a past time?
+1: Is there any concrete information to suggest such a strike? if not conjecture simply makes people nervous unnecessarily.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
+1: Is there any concrete information to suggest such a strike? if not conjecture simply makes people nervous unnecessarily.
especially when one has two long hauls upcoming on the same day next week....
Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
We will see if I am correct or not about a strike next week

One thing is for sure - VC will not narrow it down to 48 flights again - as the last attempt - where LH management was able to shift and squeeze to make these flights happen with not much impact, before it was called off.

I would think they will follow the AF lead and make sure that at least 200-300 flights are affected - maybe for several days again - so the impact is felt for sure no matter what % of the pilot-base follows - also it gives a "free" domino effect into the next days as aircraft are misplaced
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:42 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
We will see if I am correct or not about a strike next week
Are you a LH pilot with inside information or are you simply speculating based on what YOU would do?

HTB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.