Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot strikes in Autumn / Fall 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
It is the law - as it was ruled by a European high court - so it does not really depend on the judge or if it is LH or AF!

There are hundreds of cases won against LH every week - so your suggestion is just stupid!
Please present those "hundreds of cases" to us then...

Also, it's National/regional courts that decide such compensation cases, not "European high courts"..
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
Even though my Asian longhauls are usually on SQ I still have domestic feeder flights. And I don't rely on the Deutsche Bahn as well.
What does this mean? Deutsche Bahn is a fine and reliable provider of transport services. They are at least as good as LH. (In winter. During a major snow storm.) I have taken over 30 DB segments this year, many of those segments as feeders to/from FRA. The majority of the trains arrived on the scheduled track, and a few were even operating within 30 minutes of the published schedule.
Why wouldn't one want to relay on such service?

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
These strikes are a disgrace and not acceptable at all.
Yes, but unfortunately summarily dismissing the troublemakers seems to bump against some kind of sissy "worker-rights" laws, and LH management doesn't seem to have the imagination to sell a product at sufficient margins to support the customary lifestyle of the pilots. Since most of us LH customers have at least some choice of air carrier, those who can find alternatives will, and LH management and pilots can combine their efforts and run the ship onto the rocks even faster.

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
It is the law - as it was ruled by a European high court - so it does not really depend on the judge or if it is LH or AF!

There are hundreds of cases won against LH every week - so your suggestion is just stupid!
Alternatively, for some of us who have better things to do with our time than waste it chasing a few hundred euros through a bureaucratic process, (better things, such as writing silly comments on FT ), we could simply choose to ignore the whole issue and just choose a carrier based on best expected travel outcomes instead of looking for a fight every time the complex, brittle and marginally performing commercial air transport system lets us down.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:13 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
In the end it looks like 8 flights had their departure time rescheduled and one flight cancelled.

Code:
Flt#  Dest. Sched.  Resched.
LH416 IAD   1000    0830
LH456 LAX   1005    0825
LH438 DFW   1015    0830
LH430 ORD   1045    0820
LH444 ATL   1045    0830
LH562 ABV   1110    0830
LH594 LOS   1110    0830
LH740 KIX   1320    1600
LH426 PHL   1310    Cancelled
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
Originally Posted by N1003U
What does this mean? Deutsche Bahn is a fine and reliable provider of transport services. They are at least as good as LH. (In winter. During a major snow storm.) I have taken over 30 DB segments this year, many of those segments as feeders to/from FRA. The majority of the trains arrived on the scheduled track, and a few were even operating within 30 minutes of the published schedule.
Well, on my usual train sectors the Bahn is delayed by 1h every 3rd time I take it. Also, I don't think 30min delay is acceptable. Why do I think so? Maybe because I am Swiss and used to ponctual Swiss trains .
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
How long does this take? In Oct I have upcoming HEL MUC/FRA ICN flights.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'm sure they will make your schedule their priority...... nobody knows when they will reach an agreement, at least they are talking again.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:05 am

And again...

As stated on the pilots' union website, negotiations have collapsed over the issue of retirement bridge benefits. As discussed previously, LH wants to stop paying retirement benefits for pilots leaving the company at age 55, and wants to increase that age to 60. This change would leave the privileges of existing pilots unaffected, but only affect new hires.

Additional strike action is imminent.

I hardly get emotional about anything, but if it weren't against FT rules, I would now write a full page of swear words in capital letters.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Damn... I'm flying on Saturday and had hoped they would still be talking. Let's see where the next action is going to be. I recommend France.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
It's selfish I know but whew... Just finished all my LH flying.
They had a stoppage right before I left and once after I left and now I'm back.
Dodged that bullet.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:01 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I suggest that we customers organize a strike of our own: No LH flights in 2015 by us customers as long as LH can't provide a reliable schedule/service and take back the M&M enhancements of the last years... I wonder how fast management and unions would come to an agreement if customers would show them that they book elsewhere.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
I suggest that we customers organize a strike of our own: No LH flights in 2015 by us customers as long as LH can't provide a reliable schedule/service and take back the M&M enhancements of the last years... I wonder how fast management and unions would come to an agreement if customers would show them that they book elsewhere.
I'm already striking for quite a while (ok, just LH, not LH group as a whole )
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
I suggest that we customers organize a strike of our own: No LH flights in 2015 by us customers as long as LH can't provide a reliable schedule/service and take back the M&M enhancements of the last years...
Good suggestion.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just shifted an upcoming October Asia flight over to TK as I cannot risk this.

The question now is what to do with my October flights to USA.

LH is making it very difficult.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
LH is making it very difficult.
LX?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmff
LX?
Absolutely- unfortunately there are a number of cities LX doesn't fly to in the United States and Canada as well as Asia. LX is almost always my preferred choice over LH if they have a flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.