Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot strikes in Autumn / Fall 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
This is disturbing on many levels

First who do the LH pilots think they are? French pilots? I gave up on AF after one too many strikes. Not just flight crews, but air controllers, baggage handlers, fuelers, ground staff. Etc. Happily my change to the LH group took me to LX, not LH. From what I am seeing LH is following down the AF path and it is not a good one.

Frankly I think passengers should band together as vigilante parties and visit a bit of inconvenience on them to match what they dish out to the innocent passengers.

Basically there is no place for strikes when vital transport is involved. The collateral damage to society and thousands of people outweighs whatever rights the workers (?) claim. Simple math.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
First who do the LH pilots think they are? French pilots? I gave up on AF after one too many strikes. Not just flight crews, but air controllers, baggage handlers, fuelers, ground staff. Etc. Happily my change to the LH group took me to LX, not LH. From what I am seeing LH is following down the AF path and it is not a good one.

Frankly I think passengers should band together as vigilante parties and visit a bit of inconvenience on them to match what they dish out to the innocent passengers.

Basically there is no place for strikes when vital transport is involved. The collateral damage to society and thousands of people outweighs whatever rights the workers (?) claim. Simple math.
Meh, sounds like they have every right to strike, under the terms of their contract (though, TBH, I haven't read it, and I could be wrong). As passengers, we have every right to fly other airlines, if these strikes are creating too much uncertainty in our travel plans. Believe me, our family has one more upcoming trip on LH. No further flights on LH are planned.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Striking is a constitutional right in Europe - just the same way carrying a gun and shooting around is in the US - just it is so much more peaceful and does not kill people!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
Striking is a constitutional right in Europe - just the same way carrying a gun and shooting around is in the US - just it is so much more peaceful and does not kill people!
A thousand times this.

I don't like having my travel disrupted because of a strike, but when I read ITS ALL THE UNIONS FAULT THEY SHOULD BE BANNED MURRICA HURR HURR I lose my temper.

Now, back IT, the weekend looks quiet on the strike front, right? Hopefully it will hold a little longer. I am looking forward to my first trip on new C to a new airport (HND)
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:15 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
I am assuming the next 7 days will be quiet...they have to give time to see how it goes.....

Last edited by Germanfflyer; Sep 11, 2014 at 7:17 am
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:38 am

Seems my travel this year so far is going perfectly around the strikes.. what a shame
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It seems Spohr & co went into a media offensive yesterday:
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/wirtschaf...sive-1.2123668
http://www.handelsblatt.com/unterneh.../10683600.html

It seems LH will now inform the pilots directly about the recent offers made to VC so they can form an opinion about their own union
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:29 am

Well, yes indeed, the right to strike is in the constitution. In the past, it used to be a competitive advantage of Germany over countries such as France or Italy that labor relations were less confrontational. Thus, there were significantly fewer strikes and less disruptions to the economy.

This is apparrently no longer the case. So far this year (and this list might not even be complete), LH group passengers have been affected by the following strikes:

10 September - LH pilots MUC
5 September - LH pilots FRA
29 August - 4U pilots
2-4 April - LH pilots
27 March - Ground services (Verdi) at different German airports
21 February - FRA security personnel
13 February - DUS ground services
29 January - Air traffic controllers (thankfully cancelled last minute)

Now, my question is - which side started the confrontation? The answer might not be clear cut, and it also might differ for each of the different groups in the list above.

As far as the pilots are concerned, I have no sympathy at all, though. They went on strike to conserve a very comfortable early retirement regime that has become totally out of touch with what is usual in similar professions. Plus LH's offer is still extremely generous from my perspective: The privileges of existing pilots will not be touched, the regime will just be phase out for newly hired pilots as of Jan 2014.

The irony of it all: LH used to have a fixed pilot retirement age of 55 - hence the generous early retirement regime, which was designed to bridge the years until normal retirement age. What got the ball rolling was that a few pilots went to court against the fixed retirement age on the grounds of age discrimination, and they won. And now they want the best of both worlds. Talk about entitled...
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by kamel123
10 September - LH pilots MUC
5 September - LH pilots FRA
Hmm. Extrapolating from that it could be that the next one will be on the 15th.

Time I started thinking about a Plan B for Monday!
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Hmm. Extrapolating from that it could be that the next one will be on the 15th.
I hope you are wrong, I am landing in Fra on the 15th.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:12 pm

LH432 was operated by a 748 today, rather than the usual 744. Was this a result of the 747 that was sent to MUC?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; de) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1033 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

LHR is also on strike today! Not every terminal though. I'm departing from T5 now to BSL and everything is just alright.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; de) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1033 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

LHR is also on strike today! Not every terminal though. I'm departing from T5 now to BSL and everything is just alright.
Just a baggage handler strike and only T1,T2, and T3.

The news reports minimal delays.

My colleague flying out of LHR today wouldn't have even noticed had it not been in the newspaper.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Gunner14
LH432 was operated by a 748 today, rather than the usual 744. Was this a result of the 747 that was sent to MUC?
Doubt it. The two spares (D-ABTH and TF) are serving EWR & DEN, something must have happened to the 744 planned for ORD. D-ABVY went to YYZ shortly after completing the MUC rotation.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Doubt it. The two spares (D-ABTH and TF) are serving EWR & DEN, something must have happened to the 744 planned for ORD. D-ABVY went to YYZ shortly after completing the MUC rotation.
Ah, just a coincidence then. Thanks for the info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.