Search

Pilot strikes in Autumn / Fall 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
You know that you're asking the impossible, right?

Pilot union says "we will strike tomorrow, none of our pilots will come to work"

LH knows that they still get X crew members to operate Y flights. They have by now quite a bit of experience which flights cancellations can easiest be made (hint: Those they can rebook via MUC/ZRH/VIE, or where other *A flights are available) - and they will cancel those. They won't just wait and see who is showing up for work and who isn't. That would be pure chaos, and lead to many more cancellation and worlds end situation at FRA and many outposts (due to people not knowing in advance their flights get cancelled etc.)

LH is doing the right thing. They know they get to operate some flights, and for those they can't operate due to the strike, they can find solution beforehand. I'm not supporting LH - in fact, anyone reading my comments on this message board knows I'm strongly disliking them for pretty much any enhancement done in the last years - but I'm on their side in this very case.

Demanding EU261 because of actions LH was forced to do by the Pilots is - in my personal view - a very bad thing.

LH should hand out EU261 more easily when they're indeed at fault, that's no question. But give them a break here.
The question is about what the rules are rather than whether LH management should be given a break or not.

LH canceling flights before the cockpit crew no-shows and then immediately thereafter failing to proactively rebook/protect customers -- and sometimes even refusing to rebook customers over the phone unless the impacted customers show up to the airport for cancelled flights -- isn't going to win LH favors from every reasonable customer.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:49 am

LH should hand out EU261 more easily when they're indeed at fault, that's no question. But give them a break here.

LH accepted the money to get the client from A to B on date X. If LH cannot get their house in order and deliver on the contract, there is definitely ground for compensation claim.

If I have a deadline on a project tomorrow, I cannot call my client today, tell him "I am sorry but my IT supplier failed to show up and I cannot complete my job on time" and expect him to be understanding and just roll with it. I signed the contract, I am the one who has to answer for it if I do not manage to deliver. Same with LH.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by GUonder
LH canceling flights before the cockpit crew no-shows and then immediately thereafter failing to proactively rebook/protect customers -- and sometimes even refusing to rebook customers over the phone unless the impacted customers show up to the airport for cancelled flights -- isn't going to win LH favors from every reasonable customer.
Originally Posted by mmff

LH accepted the money to get the client from A to B on date X. If LH cannot get their house in order and deliver on the contract, there is definitely ground for compensation claim.
Huh? LH is doing EXACTLY that by cancelling flights they know they don't have pilots for because of the pilot's union strike. By cancelling flights a day ahead, they make sure they can rebook passengers onto LX/OS/*A, or even outside *A. Certainly their lines will be busy, and the queues will be there at the airport, but they've given it's agents (and customers) time to find for workable solutions, rather than having EVERYONE showing up at the airport in the morning, to find out a total chaos, with some pilots showing up, some not, and then having a crazy internal shuffle to "man" some planes, and basically having a total chaos in the ground.

I don't like LH, but they're doing the right thing here. Claiming EU261 on this grounds.. sorry, no!

Would you REALLY prefer LH not to make any preparations, and having the BIG BIG BIG chaos on strike day? In my personal opinion, that sounds crazy..
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:14 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Originally Posted by mmff

LH.
+1. This is getting a bit inconvenient to wait now, am I going to make it to ICN in LH business class. Two weeks to go.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:37 am

Huh? LH is doing EXACTLY that by cancelling flights they know they don't have pilots for because of the pilot's union strike. By cancelling flights a day ahead, they make sure they can rebook passengers onto LX/OS/*A, or even outside *A.
If they manage to rebook the passenger and get him from A to B on alternative flights, in the same class of service and without delaying his arrival, there is obviously no ground for complaint or compensation. I am sorry if my wording on the previous post was not clear.

Certainly their lines will be busy, and the queues will be there at the airport, but they've given it's agents (and customers) time to find for workable solutions, rather than having EVERYONE showing up at the airport in the morning, to find out a total chaos, with some pilots showing up, some not, and then having a crazy internal shuffle to "man" some planes, and basically having a total chaos in the ground.
The fact that this is likely the best solution given the circumstances has nothing to do with due compensation for a contract which was not honoured.

I don't like LH, but they're doing the right thing here. Claiming EU261 on this grounds.. sorry, no!
See above.

Would you REALLY prefer LH not to make any preparations, and having the BIG BIG BIG chaos on strike day? In my personal opinion, that sounds crazy..
I never said so. See above.

In my personal opinion, that sounds crazy..
At the end of the day, it is not about personal opinions, it is about a contract not being honoured and the counterparty being compensated accordingly.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:09 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I'm not personally affected but if I were I'd rather know the evening before departure that my flight would be cancelled so I could try and make alternative arrangements than turn up at the airport to find they don't have the pilots to fly the plane and seek compensation.

Whatever the contract and rules say LH is doing the right thing under the circumstances.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:09 am

I take it this is why there were 2 747s parked overnight in BOS?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by kamel123
...All this complexity creates absolutely zero value for the customer, it's just there for 1) historical/legacy reasons - management being too reluctant in the past to do real cuts, 2) political reasons - need to maintain separate carriers in order to keep slots, 3) labor policy reasons - need to create new entities in order to get around prohibitive labor costs at LH mainline. With such a structure it's just extremely hard to compete against others that don't have these issues (LCCs, ME3)...
Are you suggesting that these carriers don't have to deal with the same or comparably crooked politicians, that they do not have to deal with the same wanton regulation? And that ME carriers do not have to figh (dirtily almost like LH) for slots in DE? And that they are exempt from the curfews?

I know that blaming the unions is well accepted by economists and streamline acceptance is as assured as are any marxist mantras by the other side. But saying that the management is not to be blamed is cryptic to any naive understanding.
The unions have such an easy game to claim the moral high ground because they can always draw the comparison to the actions and the remuneration of the management. And that is much alike harvesting free ammo.

I am flying Oct 5th ... so may be affected by the strike. I do not expect any proactive action or the chance to get hold of a phone agent. The former doesn't happen, the latter is non-empowered. Will just show up at the airport and score a rebooking if it happens.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I'm not personally affected but if I were I'd rather know the evening before departure that my flight would be cancelled.
So would everyone else, I suppose. Nonetheless, if there is breach of contract, there is ground for complaint.

Whatever the contract and rules say LH is doing the right thing under the circumstances.
I agree LH is doing the right thing under the circumstances. However, it is entirely up to LH to foot the bill, not the client. If they are unable to provide the purchased service or equivalent, there is definitely ground for complaint. These are risks of their operation, which should be, and most certainly are, accounted for in ticket pricing.

Otherwise, what would be next? LH declining responsibility for damaged luggage because it was not them but the company they outsourced ground handling to that was at fault?

The passenger has a contract with LH. LH has to either deliver on it or face the eventual consequences.

Last edited by mmff; Sep 30, 2014 at 6:56 am Reason: Typo
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
I suspect we will even see another strike day at the end of the week.......it will be more frequent now.
Maybe next week but definitely not this week - on Friday is a public holiday in Germany
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:40 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Champagne must be free flowing today at BA Waterside HDQ

First LH on strike, then AF, now LH again (plus more LH disruptions possibly coming)...

Regardless how terribly bad it sounds: BA example - who had its big fight against Unions in 2010 - shows that it really pays to break Union's power (but I am not sure if it is even al all possible under German Labor Law).
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TPJ
Champagne must be free flowing today at BA Waterside HDQ

First LH on strike, then AF, now LH again (plus more LH disruptions possibly coming)...

Regardless how terribly bad it sounds: BA example - who had its big fight against Unions in 2010 - shows that it really pays to break Union's power (but I am not sure if it is even al all possible under German Labor Law).
I doubt it. Strikes are bad for everyone in the industry. What BA did exceptionally well in comparison to LH though was to have very clear daily communication from the CEO who was seen as the front line person- he was on BBC, CNN, Twitter, and throughout both the social and traditional media channels continuing to echo an on target message which even OLeary and Branson came out and publicly supported.

Here I don't think the situation is to break Union power- the situation is about pensions which is a horribly complicated and for most mind numbing discussion- until your own pension is involved of course.

The YouTube video posted today by the CEO is not hitting the button as on channel and soundbite friendly nor messaging the way Mr. Walsh was able to a few years ago. While I realize this point may draw some cultural comparisons- that is not the intention- rather that when there are strikes and disruptions in 2014 the public (customers) expect to be kept up to date in a very timely manner with a variety of social and traditional media sources so they can understand what is going on.

Wall Street Journal Coverage on the Video:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/deuts...ike-1412077587

And the Video (YouTube link in article):

http://www.eturbonews.com/50921/stri...-carsten-spohr
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:20 am

Yeah, my flight to HND is a go. Safe flying everyone.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'm not personally affected but if I were I'd rather know the evening before departure that my flight would be cancelled so I could try and make alternative arrangements than turn up at the airport to find they don't have the pilots to fly the plane and seek compensation.

If the first paragraph was all that was taking place with LH, then I would agree. But they've also been doing things that run in contradiction to some of what is mentioned in the first paragraph above. My prior post here included example of what has also hit.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by weero
Are you suggesting that these carriers don't have to deal with the same or comparably crooked politicians, that they do not have to deal with the same wanton regulation? And that ME carriers do not have to figh (dirtily almost like LH) for slots in DE? And that they are exempt from the curfews?

I know that blaming the unions is well accepted by economists and streamline acceptance is as assured as are any marxist mantras by the other side. But saying that the management is not to be blamed is cryptic to any naive understanding.
Well, all legacy carriers that I am aware of face similar issues as LH (some coping a bit better, some a bit worse). This is a very general claim, but show me one major airline that is financially successful and has not either 1) gotten rid of prohibitive labor costs by going through a bankruptcy (basically, all US airlines), or 2) has been founded greenfield relatively recently (the LCCs, the ME3). I am not "blaming" anyone, be it unions or management, I am just doubtful that there is a good way out for legacy carriers.

In unrelated news, a (male) LH pilot has just won a case in front of the highest German labor court (Bundesarbeitsgericht). He complained on grounds of discrimination as LH had mandated that he wears a bonnet, while female pilots don't have too. They must have really got time on their hands...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.