Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa business class [merged] experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Turkish Gold, Copa Platinum, airberlin Gold
A343 Business Class aisle seats to avoid 'footsie' ?

Hi,

Looks like I'll be flying an A340-300 FRA-SEA in Business.
I wonder if I could get some seating tips

I get up a lot so need an aisle, but as a solo traveler want to get whatever little privacy can be managed in an aisle in this cabin, or at least avoid a lot of 'footsie' while I'm trying to sleep.

Specifically - I'm wondering about the center bulkhead seats, 1D/1G

I've seen statements implying the bulkhead seats avoid 'footsie' but I haven't been able to find any posts with details or a photo.

I've also read negative comments about the bulkhead seats, but only general statements - no specifics about why they were not liked.

So, any specifics would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 3:45 am

Photo from the previous page of this thread labeled "Forward cabin view" might have some answers for you re/bulkhead seats.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Turkish Gold, Copa Platinum, airberlin Gold
Originally Posted by klausa
Photo from the previous page of this thread labeled "Forward cabin view" might have some answers for you re/bulkhead seats.
Thanks - thing is, that shows a 747, rather than an A340-300.
It also looks to be 2-2 (window/aisles), while the 343 is 2-2-2, and I'm asking about the middle bulkheads in specific, so I'm not sure it helps.

Am I missing something - are LH bulkhead seats in biz identical across aircraft and positions (center vs aisle vs window)?
I had thought from reading various FT entries on LH biz, that they differed across some aircraft, esp. 74x vs Airbus - and also in position, with window seats have smaller footwells, etc, but maybe I misunderstood?

Last edited by Tychian; Apr 9, 2016 at 12:03 pm Reason: added detail on my confusion
Old May 10, 2016, 2:28 am

Help Me Decide on Window or Aisle for LH Biz!

I have LH A340 ride coming up for FRA-NRT. It's my first time travelling in LH Business.

I'm a man of approx. 5''5 or 166cm. Usually I'm a window person and like to enjoy the view. However, I also love to take photos on plane and play with seat, and prefer easy access to restroom. Since it's in 2-2-2 configuration, I have to cross over my neighbor if I want to visit the bar or restroom. My question is, when the neighbor is in full-flat sleeping position, would it be not too difficult to jump-over without disturbing?

Since also I want undisturbed access to the aisle, I'm also considering an aisle seat but currently only center seats are available which are facing towards each other (A as opposed to H). I think I'd feel awkward sort of facing towards unknown seatmate and playing footsie with him/her. But at least I'm less likely to disturb my seatmate by clicking photos and playing with the seat (i.e. having the position full-flat/reclined at different angles etc), compared to if I sit by the window. And of course, restroom visit anytime.

It's a tough choice!
Old May 10, 2016, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
You definitely have to climb over your neighbour when they are in lie flat mode if you're in the window seat, but if you've got long enough legs it's not impossible. I had a better sleep in the middle block of two seats because I find the window area can get a bit cold, and there was no climbing because both seats have aisle access. Plus, I love the Sennheiser noise cancelling headphones that each seat has.
Old May 10, 2016, 3:16 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by sushimaru
I have LH A340 ride coming up for FRA-NRT. It's my first time travelling in LH Business.

I'm a man of approx. 5''5 or 166cm. Usually I'm a window person and like to enjoy the view. However, I also love to take photos on plane and play with seat, and prefer easy access to restroom. Since it's in 2-2-2 configuration, I have to cross over my neighbor if I want to visit the bar or restroom. My question is, when the neighbor is in full-flat sleeping position, would it be not too difficult to jump-over without disturbing?

Since also I want undisturbed access to the aisle, I'm also considering an aisle seat but currently only center seats are available which are facing towards each other (A as opposed to H). I think I'd feel awkward sort of facing towards unknown seatmate and playing footsie with him/her. But at least I'm less likely to disturb my seatmate by clicking photos and playing with the seat (i.e. having the position full-flat/reclined at different angles etc), compared to if I sit by the window. And of course, restroom visit anytime.

It's a tough choice!
Based on my experience:

If you are fairly nimble, it is possible to step over the person on the aisle without disturbing them, but it dose require a bit of effort. It is more difficult when the person on the aisle has their seat in semi-reclined position and they have their feet on the footrest.

While the seats are angled a little bit toward each other, they don't really face each other. At least for me, I don't find it difficult to ignore the adjacent person, if that is what is desired. In fact, if you do want to converse, I find it necessary to actively lean in toward the other person with typical ambient cabin noise. IME, the so-called "footsie" problem is a non-issue. I have never noticed the presence, or lack of presence of my neighbor's feet on the adjacent footrest.

My opinion: If you are fairly nimble and like the window view, pick a window. It takes effort but is not overly difficult to step over a sleeping seat mate without disturbing them. If aisle access is more important than the view, pick a center aisle, so your neighbor of unknown size and dexterity will not have to climb over you.

Edit: Yes, basically I concur with Concerto, who was a bit faster on the reply than I was...

Last edited by N1003U; May 10, 2016 at 3:23 am
Old May 10, 2016, 3:36 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
It's a bit if a tough call indeed, as the current LH configuration does not allow you to get window and aisle access at the same time. As a solo traveller who likes to get up and walk around, I would probably rather recommend the aisle seat in the center block.
Old May 10, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Best Lufthansa A340-600 8F/44C/32PE/213Y business class seats?

I'm flying on an LH A340 soon with the following config:
http://www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/p..._390542683.pdf

I know there's a few other seating threads, but I figured for organization it made sense to discuss this config/cabin in one place. Feel free to move this post if need be.

A few questions:
  • What's the order of meal service? I know LH is restaurant-style now, but for meal choice as a *G, are orders taken front to back? Back to front? Which cabin gets served first? The front C cabin or the back C cabin? Based on my reading of other posts, it sounds like the front cabin gets served first?
  • Any recommended rows? Row 3 is currently open in the middle, but I've heard bulkhead seats have a smaller footwell. Is that right? I'm currently seated in the last row middle, row 12.
  • Do any rows have better pitch?
  • Since there are fewer seats, is the mini-cabin in the back better at all? I've heard back cabins are louder, but any other pluses or minuses?

Thanks in advance! I'll reply on this thread once I fly it
Old May 10, 2016, 11:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The forward cabin is quieter, the service is simultaneous, with one FA serving 8-10 pax. The last few rows in each cabin have more pitch/foot space.
Old May 10, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The forward cabin is quieter, the service is simultaneous, with one FA serving 8-10 pax. The last few rows in each cabin have more pitch/foot space.
Perfect. Thanks oliver2002! May just try sticking with row 12 middle.

Last edited by nickab; May 10, 2016 at 11:53 am Reason: fixing quote
Old May 11, 2016, 12:49 am

Concerto, N1003U, & worldclubber: Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not used to sitting in aisles but since I want free movement I'm inclined to try the aisle this time.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:48 am

Hello,

I've been out of the loop on LH and am contemplating an IAD<->FRA trip in a few months. Do all planes have the new C layout yet, or do I need to compare seat maps to determine which flights have it?

Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Yes, all long haul planes have new C seats.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
If you could choose either the A333 or the A346 in C, which would you take? Are the seats the same or is one better than the other?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Finkface
If you could choose either the A333 or the A346 in C, which would you take? Are the seats the same or is one better than the other?
There is no difference between the seats. The cabin lay-outs are similar if not identical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.