Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: warakorn
VC has announced a stike phase from 0am on 02APR14 till 11.59pm on 04APR14:

Die VC wird ihre Mitglieder vom 02. April 00.00 Uhr bis 04. April 23.59 Uhr zum bundesweiten Arbeitskampf zur Durchsetzung eines neuen Tarifvertrages Übergangsversorgung aufrufen.
Expect massive advance cancellations. VC pilots only operate LH Mainline A32S, B737 and longhaul widebodies, so expect cancellations on such flights.

The current list of cancellations can be found here:
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/de/flight_services/cancelled_flights?nodeid=118127922&l=de&cid=18002

Or just open your booking and take a look.

Once the cancellation is announced LH allows rebooking online or via the phone. The exact procedure is described here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1541419-flyertalk-vielfliegertreff-lufthansa-irreg-interview.html

According to EU passenger rights regulation EC261/2004 article 8, the operating carrier (Lufthansa) is responsible to reroute passengers under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity.
Article 8 also applies in situations like strikes.

Tickets issued for 2-4APR just received a waiver to rebook for free:

Announced strike of the pilots union from April, 2nd – 4th, 2014
The pilots union “Vereinigung Cockpit” (VC) has called upon its members at Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Germanwings to cease work for three days from Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 00:00, to Friday, 4th April 2014, at 23:59 at all German airports.

In order to keep impact of the strike as low as possible, Lufthansa will inform its customers about details of flight cancellations and alternative travel options via www.LH.com as soon as possible. Customers, who advised their contact information, will be informed by e-mail and SMS notifications about changes of their flights.

Lufthansa will publish a list with cancelled flights as well as information for passenger services on Monday afternoon, 31st March 2014.

Passengers holding a Lufthansa/SWISS/Austrian Airlines or Brussels ticket for flights on April 2nd – April 4th, 2014 from/to/via Germany, are permitted to rebook their flight once free of charge online via My Bookings with immediate effect, provided that:

- the ticket was issued on/before March 28th, 2014
- the new travel date is on/before September 30th, 2014
- the original ticket class remains
- all other fare conditions are adhered to

Passengers may also contact our service center on +49(0)69-86-799-799* or via one of our local phone numbers.

* Calls from German landlines at local rates, call charges from German mobile networks may vary dependent upon the provider
Print Wikipost

VC Pilots Strike 02-04 APR 2014 [discussion & info wiki]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by spotydoty
Are EU 261 claims enforceable in this situation? Take it up with Lufthansa or united?

Still haven't been able to get rebooked.
Only if the 'right to care' provision is not fulfilled. The delay in reaching the destination is not covered under strikes.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yes, they will put you on LH group, *A or OAL, in that order.
Thank you. ^

And this only works within 24 hours of the scheduled departure time of the cancelled flight or will they be doing this for me now, given that I'm on a non-LH issued ticket?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:13 pm

I am looking at alternatives to propose them (on expedia). Some flights are higher earning classes. Would it be possible to get more miles out of this strike by flying another carrier with higher earnings?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tiger302
Thank you. ^

And this only works within 24 hours of the scheduled departure time of the cancelled flight or will they be doing this for me now, given that I'm on a non-LH issued ticket?
Read the interview... link in the wiki!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thinksamuel
I am looking at alternatives to propose them (on expedia). Some flights are higher earning classes. Would it be possible to get more miles out of this strike by flying another carrier with higher earnings?
Could be, but LH will try to put you on their own group or *A first. Also they can WL you for your original fare class and clear it with a special queue.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Could be, but LH will try to put you on their own group or *A first. Also they can WL you for your original fare class and clear it with a special queue.
They could, but the likelyhood is low, as it is much more time-consuming than just grant a few extra-miles - not worth the effort. My Q-nonstop on friday went to a Y/Y connection even though lower classes were available...done in two minutes in person at a ticket-counter.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:57 pm

Read the interview... link in the wiki!
I know the interview, but it does not really answer my question.

However, it is important to differentiate if the irregularity occurs within 24 hours from departure, or a rather long term irregularity that is determined more than 24 hours before departure. The conventions in the airline business require that other airlines first agree to re-bookings that occur more than 24 hours before departure. In such cases a so-called “Reprotection Agreement” needs to negotiated with these airlines. Here in many cases the rebooking onto other airlines outside of the Star Alliance is not easily possible.

24 hours before departure as in the scheduled departure time of the cancelled flight or the departure of the first leg of the journey?

Isn't this a long term irregularity as it has been announced more than 24 hours before departure? Or will it turn into a "short term" irregularity if I just wait?

Is a Reprotection Agreement between the issuing ticket airline and LH, or between LH and the airline that will transport me? It does not mention who is responsible for the rebooking and if this is only valid for LH 020 ticket stock.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by cas_de
On topic:
Calling UA will most likely not help yet, as they don't show the new potential strike on their homepage yet - you can still see the ver.di one listed there:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...elnotices.aspx
As I stated earlier in the thread, I called United about my award ticket on Saturday as soon as I saw the news on the Lufthansa homepage and showed the agent on the phone where it was. After a few holds they had all they needed to rebook my award onto UA metal. I even had them make notes on my account and then called back (after finding an even better flight w/ flat beds) and was easily able to rebook. I feel bad for those who did not proactively call United and get this taken care of... No change fees.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Angry

I would really appreciate it if people that have not the slightest idea about the background of the strike ( or the general concepts of strikes) would stop spamming this thread with their ........ rants about the strike!
If you are not a pilot or a member of the VC union you should post your opinion elsewhere.....
Nobody judges your job or income so how dare you judge others?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: SIXT Platinum, Hertz Gold, A3 Blue, TK Elite, Krisflyer Elite Silver
Had a LH455 F award ticket for tomorrow which was cancelled () but rebooked on UA F.
To fly LH F in the new F was a once in a lifetime event I was so looking forward to - destroyed by that damn strike
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tiger302
I know the interview, but it does not really answer my question.

24 hours before departure as in the scheduled departure time of the cancelled flight or the departure of the first leg of the journey?

Isn't this a long term irregularity as it has been announced more than 24 hours before departure? Or will it turn into a "short term" irregularity if I just wait?

Is a Reprotection Agreement between the issuing ticket airline and LH, or between LH and the airline that will transport me? It does not mention who is responsible for the rebooking and if this is only valid for LH 020 ticket stock.
24h before the departure of the cancelled flight. Reprotection is between LH and the alternative carrier you would be rebooked onto.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
If you are not a pilot or a member of the VC union you should post your opinion elsewhere.....
It's generally unwise to use an internet forum for a statement of this kind.

Nobody judges your job or income
How do you know? Maybe we have bankers or government employees around.

so how dare you judge others?
Because most people here do not provide a public service for a living and certainly don't have a direct impact on the schedule of 400k+ passengers. And even if it were otherwise, I don't see how it's blasphemy to express an opinion about the salary and benefits of a given job.

Last edited by gojko88; Mar 31, 2014 at 2:43 pm
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: M&M, A3*G, Flying Blue, HHonors
If you have to cancel, make sure to do so on the phone, not online. My colleague just cancelled his ticket (intra-European, the return flight was cancelled) online, and since it was a Y ticket in S/T, the online cancellation only got him his taxes back. I tried to sort it out on the phone now, but you need to talk to the tech help hotline for this, and they're closed for the day. So, if you cancel, do it over the phone!

Also, on a different note: yes, there's a big trade fair going on, which ends on Friday... LH probably has contracts with hotels, but Light+Building is one of the bigger trade fairs, so cheap hotel beds will be hard to come by this week.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Amex Plat,HHonors Gold, Leader - Leading Hotels of the World
I would really appreciate it if people that have not the slightest idea about the background of the strike ( or the general concepts of strikes) would stop spamming this thread with their ........ rants about the strike!
Nobody judges your job or income so how dare you judge others?
Are you serious? Do you not have an inkling onto the purpose of this site?

The people who read and post to this site depend on the airlines and other travel providers to do what they are paid to do in order for them to do their jobs. I am aghast at the idiocy of your comment and more set aside as to the sheer ignorance of its bald statements that you clearly are not anywhere near the 21st century.

Don't be too surprised that German labor law may be changed as a result of these asinine strikes and not in the favor of already pampered pilots.

Last edited by capitalflow; Mar 31, 2014 at 2:50 pm Reason: Auto correct.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
You see, you've insulted a banker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.