Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: warakorn
VC has announced a stike phase from 0am on 02APR14 till 11.59pm on 04APR14:

Die VC wird ihre Mitglieder vom 02. April 00.00 Uhr bis 04. April 23.59 Uhr zum bundesweiten Arbeitskampf zur Durchsetzung eines neuen Tarifvertrages Übergangsversorgung aufrufen.
Expect massive advance cancellations. VC pilots only operate LH Mainline A32S, B737 and longhaul widebodies, so expect cancellations on such flights.

The current list of cancellations can be found here:
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/de/flight_services/cancelled_flights?nodeid=118127922&l=de&cid=18002

Or just open your booking and take a look.

Once the cancellation is announced LH allows rebooking online or via the phone. The exact procedure is described here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1541419-flyertalk-vielfliegertreff-lufthansa-irreg-interview.html

According to EU passenger rights regulation EC261/2004 article 8, the operating carrier (Lufthansa) is responsible to reroute passengers under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity.
Article 8 also applies in situations like strikes.

Tickets issued for 2-4APR just received a waiver to rebook for free:

Announced strike of the pilots union from April, 2nd – 4th, 2014
The pilots union “Vereinigung Cockpit” (VC) has called upon its members at Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Germanwings to cease work for three days from Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 00:00, to Friday, 4th April 2014, at 23:59 at all German airports.

In order to keep impact of the strike as low as possible, Lufthansa will inform its customers about details of flight cancellations and alternative travel options via www.LH.com as soon as possible. Customers, who advised their contact information, will be informed by e-mail and SMS notifications about changes of their flights.

Lufthansa will publish a list with cancelled flights as well as information for passenger services on Monday afternoon, 31st March 2014.

Passengers holding a Lufthansa/SWISS/Austrian Airlines or Brussels ticket for flights on April 2nd – April 4th, 2014 from/to/via Germany, are permitted to rebook their flight once free of charge online via My Bookings with immediate effect, provided that:

- the ticket was issued on/before March 28th, 2014
- the new travel date is on/before September 30th, 2014
- the original ticket class remains
- all other fare conditions are adhered to

Passengers may also contact our service center on +49(0)69-86-799-799* or via one of our local phone numbers.

* Calls from German landlines at local rates, call charges from German mobile networks may vary dependent upon the provider
Print Wikipost

VC Pilots Strike 02-04 APR 2014 [discussion & info wiki]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by papyPiHi
Data point:
Those flying FRA-LHR during the strike should ask for rebooking on LH908 and LH914, the only 2 operating flights.
02APR
914: Lots of space available
908: same

03APR
914:limited availability
908:lots of space available

04APR: very limited availability on both 914 and 908
From LHR to FRA on 02 April, LH is selling 6 direct flights, however 4 are operated by Cityline, on E190's.

I find it interesting that both LH and 4U are using cityline and Eurowings to replace normal lufthansa flights (i.e. routes that cityline and EW do not normally operate). From a business decision it makes sense, but from a labour point of view I wonder if the CL & EW pilots would object (as they are being utilisaed as strike breakers).

Additionally, there are 2 A321 flights operating - which pilots will be flying these planes? Are there non-unionised pilots?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
LHs PR statement:

Pilot’s strike: Most LH flights from April 2 to 4 canceled

A strike on three consecutive days would be one of the biggest walkouts in Lufthansa’s history – More than 425,000 passengers are likely to be affected – Pilots of the Group airlines Swiss International Air Lines, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Eurowings, Lufthansa CityLine and Air Dolomiti are not participating in the strike.
Due to the strike announced by the pilot’s union Vereinigung Cockpit (VC), Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Germanwings have canceled about 3,800 flights on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. During the three day walkout of the cockpit crew only about 500 Lufthansa short and long haul flights will be operated. The list of canceled flights is published on www.LH.com. Information for Germanwings passengers is available on www.germanwings.com.

Flight cancellations on such a massive scale will affect a total of 425,000 passengers. Lufthansa will inform all passengers who have registered their contact details in their booking or in their Miles & More profile about flight changes via text message and email. Most of the remaining domestic and European flights will be flown by the daughter companies Eurowings and Lufthansa Cityline, whose pilots are not participating in the walkout.

In addition to Lufthansa Passenger Airlines, Lufthansa Cargo will also be affected. For the three strike days 23 of 31 planned cargo flights from Frankfurt have been already canceled.

The pilots of the daughter companies Swiss International Air Lines, Austrian Airlines, Eurowings, Lufthansa CityLine and Air Dolomiti as well as the pilots of Brussels Airlines will not participate in the strike. Where possible, these companies will use larger planes on routes from and to Germany in order to bring as many rebooked Lufthansa passengers as possible to their destinations.

Additionally, Lufthansa will re-book affected passengers on other airlines and in cooperation with German Railways (Deutsche Bahn) will provide train tickets on domestic routes. Airline tickets can be exchanged for a train ticket at automated check-ins or on the Internet. Information on how to exchange Germanwings flight tickets for train tickets is available on www.germanwings.com/aktuell.

For further questions Lufthansa customers can also use the toll free service telephone number +49 (0)800 850 6070. Toll free numbers for other countries can be found at www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Travel-information. Germanwings customers can call the Germanwings hotline +49 (0)1806 320320. Already since last Friday, passengers can rebook or cancel flights at no cost for the period of April 2-4, 2014.

“I greatly regret that the Vereinigung Cockpit is not prepared to settle this by negotiations and to find a solution without engaging in a labor dispute. We made good offers for an improved salary as well as a future provision for early leave from flight service,” says Dr. Bettina Volkens, Member of the Executive Board Legal and Personnel of the Lufthansa Group. “Based on this it is difficult to understand that the VC union is calling for a three-day strike right away – both for our customers and the more than hundred thousand colleagues of the other Lufthansa employee groups. “We will do our best to care for our customers during the strike. I want to thank in advance all employees that will go above and beyond what is normal and give their best for our customers and for the Company,” Volkens added.

Lufthansa is preparing a number of actions to minimize the impact, as far as possible, on its passengers. For example, in Frankfurt and Munich additional employees will be in the terminal to take care of passengers. Waiting passengers will be taken care of as well as possible there. In the Lufthansa service centers, capacities were already significantly increased. Passengers are requested to visit www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/My-Bookings and check the status of their flight before leaving for the airport.

In total, a three-day pilot strike would alone have for Lufthansa German Airlines a negative impact on profit in the range of tens of millions of euros. The announcement alone has already caused significant damages since passengers have already rebooked flights and logistic customers have made arrangements with other cargo airlines to secure the transport of their goods
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:00 am

Finally got through to LH. While on hold with LH, US put a note in the record to basically tell LH they need to rebook. That had no effect. After checking with a supervisor, LH would still not rebook and referred me back to US. Still on the phone with US, but again not getting anywhere…
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Very funny - just tried to see if there are better options than what I have for my return this friday, and noticed that Lufthansa still DOES sell seats on the HAM-CGN nonstops that do not operate, yet DOES NOT sell the one flight that is operating... Seems the communication between LH and 4U still leaves a lot to desire...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:30 am

Programs: SK Gold, A3 Gold, AB Gold, LeClub Platinum, BW Diamond, CC Gold
Not getting anywhere here either. On the phone with US Air again now after two times with LH.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:41 am

LH can't do the rebooking they say because no access to the miles.... and US Air say that LH has to do it....
And when saying to US Air that I will rebook from LH to SK and even pay for it, they say that they have no access to do this anymore because now only access to Oneworlds systems....
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
This event proves MORE EU regulation is needed. The fact there is 0 consumer protection in this case is ridiculous. American Express travel told me they have not been able to get LH on the phone for over 24 hours. They have more than 20 customers waiting for solutions.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
In fairness to Lufthansa, I would be far more irritated with US Airways- they were the agent, they booked the ticket- if it doesn't work, really it should be their responsibility to find a new solution. The fact that US Airways has made a commercial decision to leave the Star Alliance should not release them of responsibility to assist their (former) customers who purchased services with them in good faith.
This is correct. US acted as an agent and it is their responsibility to re-book affected passengers per LH's guidelines. All agents and airlines have access to the relevant information.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:07 am

US Airways can not rebook and can only give me my mileage back they say.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by tamtamm
US Airways can not rebook and can only give me my mileage back they say.
It is very upsetting to hear that. US should be able to re-book into the lowest booking class in the original cabin even for reward tickets. They either do not want to look for LH's current guidelines or the agent you are talking to does not know what he or she is doing. Many agents (wrongly) believe that there needs to be award availability but it is not so - in the event of disruptions revenue booking classes can also be used. Even though US left Star Alliance they are still responsible for the ticket as the issuing airline and they are the ones who are supposed to re-book you as allowed by LH in this situation.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:41 am

I gave up last night after being disconnected after an hour and a half on hold. I'm going to try to get down to the airport later this morning and have US/LH agents sort it out there - luckily they both have check-in desks in the same terminal!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: MM silver, Flying blue Platinum, A3 gold, Marriott platinum, IHG gold
Had my BIO-MUC flight on 4th cancelled. Waited 57 mins on telephone, finally got an agent who rebooked me on later flight same day. Got e-mail confirmation and there I could see I am wait-listed. Let us see what happens in next days...
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:10 am

Went to the airport to see if they could help, but no they couldn`t rebook either.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
It is very upsetting to hear that. US should be able to re-book into the lowest booking class in the original cabin even for reward tickets. They either do not want to look for LH's current guidelines or the agent you are talking to does not know what he or she is doing. Many agents (wrongly) believe that there needs to be award availability but it is not so - in the event of disruptions revenue booking classes can also be used. Even though US left Star Alliance they are still responsible for the ticket as the issuing airline and they are the ones who are supposed to re-book you as allowed by LH in this situation.
Yes thank you. Only thing US Airways is able to do according to them, is to refund my miles. Of course that doesn`t help me much now.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Finally got through to LH. While on hold with LH, US put a note in the record to basically tell LH they need to rebook. That had no effect. After checking with a supervisor, LH would still not rebook and referred me back to US. Still on the phone with US, but again not getting anywhere…
Hold on!
European Regulation EC261/2004 says that the OPERATING CARRIER (Lufthansa) must rebook the passengers for free, regardless of who issued the ticket. This rules also applies to situation like a strike.
Be firm!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.