Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: warakorn
VC has announced a stike phase from 0am on 02APR14 till 11.59pm on 04APR14:

Die VC wird ihre Mitglieder vom 02. April 00.00 Uhr bis 04. April 23.59 Uhr zum bundesweiten Arbeitskampf zur Durchsetzung eines neuen Tarifvertrages Übergangsversorgung aufrufen.
Expect massive advance cancellations. VC pilots only operate LH Mainline A32S, B737 and longhaul widebodies, so expect cancellations on such flights.

The current list of cancellations can be found here:
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/de/flight_services/cancelled_flights?nodeid=118127922&l=de&cid=18002

Or just open your booking and take a look.

Once the cancellation is announced LH allows rebooking online or via the phone. The exact procedure is described here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1541419-flyertalk-vielfliegertreff-lufthansa-irreg-interview.html

According to EU passenger rights regulation EC261/2004 article 8, the operating carrier (Lufthansa) is responsible to reroute passengers under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity.
Article 8 also applies in situations like strikes.

Tickets issued for 2-4APR just received a waiver to rebook for free:

Announced strike of the pilots union from April, 2nd – 4th, 2014
The pilots union “Vereinigung Cockpit” (VC) has called upon its members at Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Germanwings to cease work for three days from Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 00:00, to Friday, 4th April 2014, at 23:59 at all German airports.

In order to keep impact of the strike as low as possible, Lufthansa will inform its customers about details of flight cancellations and alternative travel options via www.LH.com as soon as possible. Customers, who advised their contact information, will be informed by e-mail and SMS notifications about changes of their flights.

Lufthansa will publish a list with cancelled flights as well as information for passenger services on Monday afternoon, 31st March 2014.

Passengers holding a Lufthansa/SWISS/Austrian Airlines or Brussels ticket for flights on April 2nd – April 4th, 2014 from/to/via Germany, are permitted to rebook their flight once free of charge online via My Bookings with immediate effect, provided that:

- the ticket was issued on/before March 28th, 2014
- the new travel date is on/before September 30th, 2014
- the original ticket class remains
- all other fare conditions are adhered to

Passengers may also contact our service center on +49(0)69-86-799-799* or via one of our local phone numbers.

* Calls from German landlines at local rates, call charges from German mobile networks may vary dependent upon the provider
Print Wikipost

VC Pilots Strike 02-04 APR 2014 [discussion & info wiki]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by mamb0
There is a real reason not to fly Lufthansa anymore and boycott the whole of Germany... Those who edit video so foolishly and uninspired, I would not trust with more difficult technical processes like SERVICING and FLYING an airplane.
lol, I don't think I would ever be concerned with LH Technik and their ability to keep aircraft in safe condition.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by MisterRobarto
I drive through DFW airport to get to / from work. The Lufthansa plane looks so lonely there in its far-out parking spot.

At least Dallas is a relatively cheap place to park a crew for 4 days.
Is there an extension cord running from the building to the battery on the aircraft?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by tamtamm
As far as I can see there are award tickets available in my case, but US do not have access to *A systems anymore. This is the answer I get when I ask to rebook and pay, into the tickets I see is available.
The KrisFlyer memo I got is that US cannot book new awards anymore, they can still attend to bookings until July .... but I guess such a change require issuing a new ticket and that might be difficult.

Still there is a good chance to get the miles back ...
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by mamb0
There is a real reason not to fly Lufthansa anymore and boycott the whole of Germany... Those who edit video so foolishly and uninspired, I would not trust with more difficult technical processes like SERVICING and FLYING an airplane.
I think this is a complete non-sequitur. LH management always has been much inferior to its pilots, crews, and engineering personnel. If anything this is a German (and Swiss) virtue, not a flaw.

Sure they have Dr. Franz who is not capable of looking into a camera or speak proper English but when has LH ever screwed up with maintenance?

I agree though with you that the message is ludicrous and entirely untrue. LH has been an unreliable airline for non-technical reasons for a loooong time now. Mostly due to strikes and not getting a grip on FRAport ... all management failures once more. Not surprising in the least.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by mandolino
When should I start PANICKING?
never?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:45 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
. First, this action is planned 2-4 April. By your own admission, you are traveling in 2 weeks.
And this strike is a week after the last one and I don't see an early resolution to the union's demands.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:06 am

The strike last week was by a different group of workers (airport workers not employed by LH), where the dispute (over pay) is now resolved.

The strike this week is by pilots (employed by LH) who have publicly stated (in press relerase) they do not plan to mess up the publics holiday plans by striking during the Easter holidays (1-2 weeks each side of easter).
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
They have clearly stated no strikes during easter vacations, which run from April 14 thru May 2 this year:
http://www.schulferien.org/Schulferi...terferien.html

If you add the weekend before and after this means no VC strike (if they even dare to) between April 12 and May 4.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:06 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by oliver2002
They have clearly stated no strikes during easter vacations, which run from April 14 thru May 2 this year:
http://www.schulferien.org/Schulferi...terferien.html

If you add the weekend before and after this means no VC strike (if they even dare to) between April 12 and May 4.
Tell that to the folks in Bremen and Lower Saxony... today's the first day of the easter school holidays in those two states.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:15 am

I don't see why I should place any faith in union statements about what they will or won't do when the dispute itself is not resolved.

They will do what they think will get them what they want.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:29 am

Yes, it is of course possible that the union will change their mind and strike over easter. Especially given the public reaction (at least that covered by media) during this strike, the union may realise they have nothing more to loose by striking during a peak travel period. However, I think it is unlikely.

If people want to panic (which is some peoples nature), then a statement by the union isn't going to help.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:58 am

By "panic", I mean start booking alternative flights.
You will note they announced the strike of April 2-4 on April 1.
So we know they will do it on one day's notice.

Hardly gives one confidence in what will happen in two weeks' time.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:06 am

Programs: LH/BA/DL
You will note they announced the strike of April 2-4 on April 1.
So we know they will do it on one day's notice.
Lufthansa started publishing the cancellations around midday on Monday, March 31.
The pilot's union announced their intention to go on a three-day strike on Friday, March 28. I was able to start working on back-up plans around lunch time on Friday.

I know it does not make it any less stressful, but the exta days helped to ease the pain.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:14 am

The pilot's Union announced their intention to go on a three-day strike on Friday, March 28
So we might get 5 days notice, based on that precedent?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
So we might get 5 days notice, based on that precedent?
If you really wish make an alternative booking, but being a drama queen here, and stating the inevitable uncertainty of the future is not very meaningful.
Might I suggest booking QR? They are not very likely to strike.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.