Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: warakorn
VC has announced a stike phase from 0am on 02APR14 till 11.59pm on 04APR14:

Die VC wird ihre Mitglieder vom 02. April 00.00 Uhr bis 04. April 23.59 Uhr zum bundesweiten Arbeitskampf zur Durchsetzung eines neuen Tarifvertrages Übergangsversorgung aufrufen.
Expect massive advance cancellations. VC pilots only operate LH Mainline A32S, B737 and longhaul widebodies, so expect cancellations on such flights.

The current list of cancellations can be found here:
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/de/flight_services/cancelled_flights?nodeid=118127922&l=de&cid=18002

Or just open your booking and take a look.

Once the cancellation is announced LH allows rebooking online or via the phone. The exact procedure is described here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1541419-flyertalk-vielfliegertreff-lufthansa-irreg-interview.html

According to EU passenger rights regulation EC261/2004 article 8, the operating carrier (Lufthansa) is responsible to reroute passengers under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity.
Article 8 also applies in situations like strikes.

Tickets issued for 2-4APR just received a waiver to rebook for free:

Announced strike of the pilots union from April, 2nd – 4th, 2014
The pilots union “Vereinigung Cockpit” (VC) has called upon its members at Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Germanwings to cease work for three days from Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 00:00, to Friday, 4th April 2014, at 23:59 at all German airports.

In order to keep impact of the strike as low as possible, Lufthansa will inform its customers about details of flight cancellations and alternative travel options via www.LH.com as soon as possible. Customers, who advised their contact information, will be informed by e-mail and SMS notifications about changes of their flights.

Lufthansa will publish a list with cancelled flights as well as information for passenger services on Monday afternoon, 31st March 2014.

Passengers holding a Lufthansa/SWISS/Austrian Airlines or Brussels ticket for flights on April 2nd – April 4th, 2014 from/to/via Germany, are permitted to rebook their flight once free of charge online via My Bookings with immediate effect, provided that:

- the ticket was issued on/before March 28th, 2014
- the new travel date is on/before September 30th, 2014
- the original ticket class remains
- all other fare conditions are adhered to

Passengers may also contact our service center on +49(0)69-86-799-799* or via one of our local phone numbers.

* Calls from German landlines at local rates, call charges from German mobile networks may vary dependent upon the provider
Print Wikipost

VC Pilots Strike 02-04 APR 2014 [discussion & info wiki]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Try some other country's numbers - I think that would be the only way to maybe find a number that is not quite as busy.....else I would assume later today or at night it might ease a bit....
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by LVGlobetrotter
I am booked on a cancelled Lufthansa ORD-MUC flight tomorrow.

I have tried calling the US and UK line, but always get that all lines are busy.

The website says to call.

Any suggestions getting a hold of a real person to speak with at LH?

Thanks in advance,
Unfortunately no. 500k passengers and only a few hundred reps makes for a tough day for everyone. have you tried going online? You may already have rebooking options available.

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Mar 31, 2014 at 3:59 pm
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: M&M, A3*G, Flying Blue, HHonors
Originally Posted by LVGlobetrotter
I am booked on a cancelled Lufthansa ORD-MUC flight tomorrow.
I have tried calling the US and UK line, but always get that all lines are busy.
The website says to call.
Any suggestions getting a hold of a real person to speak with at LH?
Thanks in advance,
Try the German hotline +49 69 86 799 799 - they have English speaking agents (most of the automated menu on the phone is in German, but they will tell you in English to hold for an operator). The system might kick you out because so many people are trying to call now - then just call again, at one point you will get through. The agents are doing their best to help.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
Try some other country's numbers - I think that would be the only way to maybe find a number that is not quite as busy.....else I would assume later today or at night it might ease a bit....
Btw stepping over the insults and high emotions, could you clarify the pilots view? I just cant see why a 3day strike is good for anybody involved with LH.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by kanor
Btw stepping over the insults and high emotions, could you clarify the pilots view? I just cant see why a 3day strike is good for anybody involved with LH.
the biggest thing I think aside from the pay raises, they wanted assurances that they had the ability for early retirement as early as age 58. Their demands are not ridiculous, but the union is really taking advantage of their 15 minutes of fame at the moment and must be reveling in the fact that LH was dinged 2 times for strikes in as many weeks. I think (IMHO) that the union went a bit far with 3 days. 1 days strikes can be weathered by pax and airlines, but 3 days is taking advantage.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:04 pm

VC Pilots Strike 02-04 APR 2014 [discussion & info wiki]

I would really appreciate it if people that have not the slightest idea about the background of the strike ( or the general concepts of strikes) would stop spamming this thread with their ........ rants about the strike!
If you are not a pilot or a member of the VC union you should post your opinion elsewhere.....
Nobody judges your job or income so how dare you judge others?
You are entitled to your rational opinion. Well tell me where I should voice my concerns about LH, if not on FT?

Reading your other softer posts I have the feeling that your account is used by multiple individuals, anyway...

The background of the strike - any strike - has never changed. In the end its about money, early retirement and wanting more for equal or less work. Not posting the facts about the strike, but defending it shows a lot already - you are embarrassed about it as well.

If you want a proper paid job, assuming you have a proper qualification or a talent, than being a pilot would not be top of the list. Being a pilot is not that exceptional any more, sorry if you think otherwise. Many people have pilot licenses as a hobby, besides their full time job. Due to the fact the we still need pilots in the cockpit their actions unfortunately have a critical impact on any airline. Again it's used as a mean of pressure knowing well that pilots can't just be replaced on short notice.

I have more respect for the engineers keeping these aircraft flying, system engineers looking at the whole complexity of logistics and planning the flight. Just think about the consequences for LH. At the moment the airline industry is under specific high attention due to the happenings in Asia. So being in the lime light at the moment for any airline will have negative causes.

I am sorry for all passengers affected by this unnecessary act of strike. Once VC will have calmed down, I am sure the UFO will fly by low and once they have cooled down their coffee and juice, it will be tailored shortly after by Verdis 2nd sonata.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:05 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by kanor
No I can not - all I know it is their RIGHT to strike for their work conditions and that they negotiated for quite a long to time.

Everybody should have the right to strike for their work conditions and I highly respect that right!
There is no other way of getting something out of the corporations these days!

Just because it inconveniences me - I do not think it is just to call someone names or cry for the law to change....I find that behaviour selfish and unjust!

They have the right to strike - you have the right to fly another airline!
But stop crying and try to live with it....

Just for the information of those not familiar with German work laws - you do NOT have to be a union member to be able to join the strike! So in this case ANY LH pilot can join the strike - no need to be with VC!
And the EU has nothing to do with that...these laws were in place long time before there was the EU!

BTW this is my last post on the "is this strike OK" topic - I am all for the right to strike and I consider it part of the human rights that should be everywhere!

And 500K inconvenienced is nothing.....a few days ago the bus and metro systems were on strike simultaneously in several states and millions were inconvenienced......and it was not that easy to find other solutions either...but life goes on!^

Last edited by Germanfflyer; Mar 31, 2014 at 5:02 pm
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:09 pm

Its too bad that the EU is tacitly approving these unions to act essentially as taxing authorities to pull more money 'unwillingly' from businesses. Granted that most of the money will land in the hands of the earners, and reinvested in the local economies but as a result net additional taxes will be funneled to fund fun projects such as greece, portugal and italy. A reasonable government would not let 1 or 2 unions represent thousands of industries. A government hell bent on crippling businesses will sit idly by and not give a damn about those affected. The EU has the unions to raise 'taxes' on businesses, the inmates at the EU asylum, I mean HQ, in Brussels couldn't be happier. BTW, what ever happened to the Emissions scam, er tax?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:15 pm

I heard from an LH contact that the airline has been asking flight-rated managers to take on some of the flight load over the next few days. At least some birds will fly.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:36 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
I heard from an LH contact that the airline has been asking flight-rated managers to take on some of the flight load over the next few days. At least some birds will fly.
I have heard they are going to draw the 3 flights out of a hat!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:02 pm

I have heard they are going to draw the 3 flights out of a hat!
wow, some great odds!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; de) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1033 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I have no sympathy with these (pilot) strikes. LH pilots earn between 6k and 20k EUR/month. And, after all, if they are unhappy with theyr working conditions/salary, for god's sake they should just quite theyr job and stop messing around the flights and life of those people who actualy spend money on LH flights and ensure that theyr salary can be paid.

Last edited by f4freeJunior; Mar 31, 2014 at 5:32 pm
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:35 pm

I would really appreciate it if people that have not the slightest idea about the background of the strike ( or the general concepts of strikes) would stop spamming this thread with their ........ rants about the strike!
If you are not a pilot or a member of the VC union you should post your opinion elsewhere.....
Nobody judges your job or income so how dare you judge others?
The power that those pilots, who I chose to be in this job, have over hundreds of thousands of other people is staggering. Today, I had to drop off my parents in CLT for their return to MUC. They had to cut their visit to us short by three days (we all had saved for two years to pay for their flights, we don't have the luxury of a pilot salary and we have to pay for plane tickets...). So I am ranting about the strike. And I have a right to rant just as much as they think they have a right to strike and affect so many people in a negative way.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:36 pm

Hallo-

The early morning radio report just now ( 02:30 - 01.04.2014 ) is that Swiss International Air Lines, Austrian Airlines, Euro wings, Lufthansa City Line and Air Dolomiti, and Lufthansa Cargo would not take part in the strike.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:44 pm
Suspended

So most people have had their flight rebooked on UA metal for free?

I'm going to wait and hope the strike is over since my flight isn't until the first week of May... but I guess I'll have to switch it if it's still going

I was looking for ward to it too... was going to be my first business class flight, and heard Lufthansa was much nicer than UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.