Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: warakorn
VC has announced a stike phase from 0am on 02APR14 till 11.59pm on 04APR14:

Die VC wird ihre Mitglieder vom 02. April 00.00 Uhr bis 04. April 23.59 Uhr zum bundesweiten Arbeitskampf zur Durchsetzung eines neuen Tarifvertrages Übergangsversorgung aufrufen.
Expect massive advance cancellations. VC pilots only operate LH Mainline A32S, B737 and longhaul widebodies, so expect cancellations on such flights.

The current list of cancellations can be found here:
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/de/flight_services/cancelled_flights?nodeid=118127922&l=de&cid=18002

Or just open your booking and take a look.

Once the cancellation is announced LH allows rebooking online or via the phone. The exact procedure is described here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1541419-flyertalk-vielfliegertreff-lufthansa-irreg-interview.html

According to EU passenger rights regulation EC261/2004 article 8, the operating carrier (Lufthansa) is responsible to reroute passengers under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity.
Article 8 also applies in situations like strikes.

Tickets issued for 2-4APR just received a waiver to rebook for free:

Announced strike of the pilots union from April, 2nd – 4th, 2014
The pilots union “Vereinigung Cockpit” (VC) has called upon its members at Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Germanwings to cease work for three days from Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 00:00, to Friday, 4th April 2014, at 23:59 at all German airports.

In order to keep impact of the strike as low as possible, Lufthansa will inform its customers about details of flight cancellations and alternative travel options via www.LH.com as soon as possible. Customers, who advised their contact information, will be informed by e-mail and SMS notifications about changes of their flights.

Lufthansa will publish a list with cancelled flights as well as information for passenger services on Monday afternoon, 31st March 2014.

Passengers holding a Lufthansa/SWISS/Austrian Airlines or Brussels ticket for flights on April 2nd – April 4th, 2014 from/to/via Germany, are permitted to rebook their flight once free of charge online via My Bookings with immediate effect, provided that:

- the ticket was issued on/before March 28th, 2014
- the new travel date is on/before September 30th, 2014
- the original ticket class remains
- all other fare conditions are adhered to

Passengers may also contact our service center on +49(0)69-86-799-799* or via one of our local phone numbers.

* Calls from German landlines at local rates, call charges from German mobile networks may vary dependent upon the provider
Print Wikipost

VC Pilots Strike 02-04 APR 2014 [discussion & info wiki]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Eurobonus
Are cancelled flights now showing up as such in the online Lufthansa system? I have a friend flying on April 2 and his flights still show up as normal. Curious if anyone with confirmed cancelled flights can tell me what that looks like!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: UA G
Yup, the cxls are showing now. Had DFW-FRA in LH F on a 016 UA ticket; ended up trading down to UA BF since my dates aren't flexible. Oh well.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:52 am

So you're saying that if a flight is still showing up as normal, there is reason to be hopeful that it will go ahead as scheduled?

BTW, I noticed that a bunch of cancellations were added to the online list in the last 30 minutes or so!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:23 am

Have a flight leaving tomorrow with a connection on 2nd. Got an email saying both flights have been cancelled. Its an award booking through united.
Managed to get through to lufthansa and the agent said i need to get in touch with United to change it. Will i need to find award space to be rebooked or since i am within a day of travel, will they just rebook me on another day / carrier even if award space is not available?
TIA.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
My Air Dolomiti flight on April 2 now shows up as cancelled (LH1853). Technical glitch, or some kind of unusual operational requirement?

Oddly enough, on ExpertFlyer, the equipment lists as an A321, and should be an E95. So, perhaps it is just a mistake that will be corrected.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: I'm all in on Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by mrahul
Have a flight leaving tomorrow with a connection on 2nd. Got an email saying both flights have been cancelled. Its an award booking through united.
Managed to get through to lufthansa and the agent said i need to get in touch with United to change it. Will i need to find award space to be rebooked or since i am within a day of travel, will they just rebook me on another day / carrier even if award space is not available?
TIA.
On the phone with united now. Have the same issue. They will
Book you on a united flight for no extra charge even if it shows zero award space. However to be booked on a partner there needs to be award space available.

Good luck to all. I'm bummed to miss out on the lax-fra non stop and instead need to route through dc on united boo

**edit-- the operator is now telling me "like award space needs to be available and obviously there isn't any this late in the game. I'm on hold for a second supervisor** any ideas?

Last edited by spotydoty; Mar 31, 2014 at 11:55 am Reason: Change
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by spotydoty
On the phone with united now. Have the same issue. They will
Book you on a united flight for no extra charge even if it shows zero award space. However to be booked on a partner there needs to be award space available.

Good luck to all. I'm bummed to miss out on the lax-fra non stop and instead need to route through dc on united boo

**edit-- the operator is now telling me "like award space needs to be available and obviously there isn't any this late in the game. I'm on hold for a second supervisor** any ideas?
Good luck to you.
I tried and unfortunately only LH serves my destination. So am trying. The agent I spoke to said LH has to protect the booking and redirected me back to LH. And LH says they cant change the ticket as it was issued by United.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Lh flights were packed this morning out of LHR-FRA: *G, ended up on a JUMPSEAT with 2 other pax (seemed to be 1 rev and 1 non-rev)
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: I'm all in on Ultimate Rewards
Are EU 261 claims enforceable in this situation? Take it up with Lufthansa or united?

Still haven't been able to get rebooked.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:38 pm

Lots of flights now added to the official cancellation list, including my friend's, unfortunately. But it is still showing up in the online booking system, so updates must be lagging.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by spotydoty
Are EU 261 claims enforceable in this situation?
I don't think so - strikes are the prime example of "unforeseeable circumstances" as per EU 261/2004.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:41 pm

Some questions as this is my first strike:
- Can I propose another route and will they accept it? I have to get to Malta from Brussels somehow as I have a job interview the next day.
- If rerouted on another carrier, what about miles (I guess this is a typical FT-question ) : will I get original routing credit or the miles for the new fare class (and how can I see the new fare class)
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:52 pm

I've asked before, but have not received an answer here.

I'm on a non-LH issued award ticket via FRA and my ongoing flight has been cancelled. From what I understand here is that currently LH does not feel responsible for rebooking non-LH issued tickets. When I take my flight to FRA on the last day of the strike and end up in FRA because of the cancelled LH flight, is LH then responsible for me and has to rebook me on a alternate carrier given availability?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Thinksamuel
Some questions as this is my first strike:
- Can I propose another route and will they accept it? I have to get to Malta from Brussels somehow as I have a job interview the next day.
- If rerouted on another carrier, what about miles (I guess this is a typical FT-question ) : will I get original routing credit or the miles for the new fare class (and how can I see the new fare class)
If the cancelled flight is within 24h they can reroute you on any other carrier if LH group or *A is sold out.
Original mileage can be retroclaimed.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:57 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by tiger302
I've asked before, but have not received an answer here.

I'm on a non-LH issued award ticket via FRA and my ongoing flight has been cancelled. From what I understand here is that currently LH does not feel responsible for rebooking non-LH issued tickets. When I take my flight to FRA on the last day of the strike and end up in FRA because of the cancelled LH flight, is LH then responsible for me and has to rebook me on a alternate carrier given availability?
Yes, they will put you on LH group, *A or OAL, in that order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.