Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: warakorn
VC has announced a stike phase from 0am on 02APR14 till 11.59pm on 04APR14:

Die VC wird ihre Mitglieder vom 02. April 00.00 Uhr bis 04. April 23.59 Uhr zum bundesweiten Arbeitskampf zur Durchsetzung eines neuen Tarifvertrages Übergangsversorgung aufrufen.
Expect massive advance cancellations. VC pilots only operate LH Mainline A32S, B737 and longhaul widebodies, so expect cancellations on such flights.

The current list of cancellations can be found here:
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/de/flight_services/cancelled_flights?nodeid=118127922&l=de&cid=18002

Or just open your booking and take a look.

Once the cancellation is announced LH allows rebooking online or via the phone. The exact procedure is described here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1541419-flyertalk-vielfliegertreff-lufthansa-irreg-interview.html

According to EU passenger rights regulation EC261/2004 article 8, the operating carrier (Lufthansa) is responsible to reroute passengers under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity.
Article 8 also applies in situations like strikes.

Tickets issued for 2-4APR just received a waiver to rebook for free:

Announced strike of the pilots union from April, 2nd – 4th, 2014
The pilots union “Vereinigung Cockpit” (VC) has called upon its members at Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Germanwings to cease work for three days from Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 00:00, to Friday, 4th April 2014, at 23:59 at all German airports.

In order to keep impact of the strike as low as possible, Lufthansa will inform its customers about details of flight cancellations and alternative travel options via www.LH.com as soon as possible. Customers, who advised their contact information, will be informed by e-mail and SMS notifications about changes of their flights.

Lufthansa will publish a list with cancelled flights as well as information for passenger services on Monday afternoon, 31st March 2014.

Passengers holding a Lufthansa/SWISS/Austrian Airlines or Brussels ticket for flights on April 2nd – April 4th, 2014 from/to/via Germany, are permitted to rebook their flight once free of charge online via My Bookings with immediate effect, provided that:

- the ticket was issued on/before March 28th, 2014
- the new travel date is on/before September 30th, 2014
- the original ticket class remains
- all other fare conditions are adhered to

Passengers may also contact our service center on +49(0)69-86-799-799* or via one of our local phone numbers.

* Calls from German landlines at local rates, call charges from German mobile networks may vary dependent upon the provider
Print Wikipost

VC Pilots Strike 02-04 APR 2014 [discussion & info wiki]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:14 am

Was booked for Thursday night on LH 731 HKG to MUC and onward to HAM.
In a first attempt called the HKG LH hotline which proved useless as they were unwilling to do anything until the flight would officially show as cancelled in the system. Their recommendation was to call back Monday/Tuesday when they have more info but we all know how that would have turned out...
So I called the German MM hotline and was rebooked to SR within five minutes. Almost identical times and higher booking class - very happy.
Let's hope all goes smooth from here...

Last edited by fevon; Mar 29, 2014 at 10:00 pm
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:48 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Anyone have any idea how likely April 4 DFW-FRA will be cancelled, debating calling United and asking for a rebooking, currently only person in F on DFW-FRA on what is otherwise a very full flight.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:21 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
I am assumimg that April 5th will be a mess also as the planes will have been stranded in "odd" places?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
I am assumimg that April 5th will be a mess also as the planes will have been stranded in "odd" places?
I could guess that in some cases LH will cancel outbound flights from FRA and MUC to strange places so that the planes are not stranded at these "odd" places during the strike.

I think that right now some unlucky LH employees in charge of schedules are pulling some overtime to minimize the impact as much as possible. Last time there was a strike it took 48hours to return to the normal schedule after the strike was over. So even if you plan to travel on or two days after the strike you might be affected.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
I have a return on the 5th from ARN and my outbound on the 2nd was very politely and quickly moved by LH at my request to the 1st.

We'll see how it goes...

Last edited by N1003U; Mar 29, 2014 at 9:44 am
Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Had a LH award flight booked on UA miles moved to a UA flight

Hope this helps someone. I had a LH flight arriving in MUC on Apr 2nd and then connecting to another European segment that I booked awhile ago on United miles. I called the phone rep, mentioned the details of the strike are now on Lufthansa's website and after a couple of holds they allowed me to get on a even more convenient route , this time on UA metal. Granted this was not their normal policy(wait until LH flight is showing as canceled) but wanted to share...sometimes it can't hurt to call early.

I have no status...
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by skyvanman
Anyone have any idea how likely April 4 DFW-FRA will be cancelled, debating calling United and asking for a rebooking, currently only person in F on DFW-FRA on what is otherwise a very full flight.
United will give you the same answer they are giving everyone else at the moment. If their system does not show your flight as cancelled they will not re-issue you a ticket for different flights. You have to wait unfortunately When LH issues their updated schedule on 31March you can call UA and ask them to rebook you.

The bad news right now is DFW-FRA on 04Apr is zeroed out meaning it is highly likely to be one of the cancelled flights. In fact, it's probably guaranteed because that plane will need to leave FRA during the strike and there won't be a pilot to fly it. So they will have to cancel the return leg.

I am very lucky to be flying UA to LH on 31March. I will miss the strike by a day.

-RM
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: ua 1k
i don't think they are, but are lh flights operated by Eurowings Luftverkehrs impacted?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
DEN-FRA and FRA-... on 4-3 is zeroed out on the lufthansa website.

Based on that I was able to make a parallel reservation on United metal at least to FRA. (Which is not my original destination but better than nothing). Friendly lady at the 1K line claimed these seats are kept on hold for me and my family until either the LH flight is officially canceled, or I am confirmed on LH (if for whatever reason the situation changes)

Yay! I will be able to start my vacation (almost) on time!
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by N1003U
I have a return on the 5th from ARN and my outbound on the 2nd was very politely and quickly moved by LH at my request to the 1st.

We'll see how it goes...
My LH to OS connection via ZRH was quickly moved to LX/LX by LX BSL hotline. I will even get to ride a jumbolino after I don't know how many years
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
United will give you the same answer they are giving everyone else at the moment. If their system does not show your flight as cancelled they will not re-issue you a ticket for different flights. You have to wait unfortunately When LH issues their updated schedule on 31March you can call UA and ask them to rebook you.

The bad news right now is DFW-FRA on 04Apr is zeroed out meaning it is highly likely to be one of the cancelled flights. In fact, it's probably guaranteed because that plane will need to leave FRA during the strike and there won't be a pilot to fly it. So they will have to cancel the return leg.

I am very lucky to be flying UA to LH on 31March. I will miss the strike by a day.

-RM
Thanks for the heads up, looks like the powers that be don't want me to get to Tokyo...last trip was cancelled due to the earthquake in 2011, this trip original flights were changed due to an OZ plane swap that downgraded us, and then had to do a date change here. Here's to hoping a resolution is found before the strike.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:51 pm

Will EU 261/2004 be applicable to strikes (by airline employees or by airport union) or are they considered beyond the airline control?
If faced with cancellation at airport on April 2, what options will LH likely offer?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 4:39 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
EU261/04 applies with respect to 'right to care' ie you get food and drink plus accommodation if required and free rebooking. For additional comp you need to go court.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Can anybody give any insight into how the union is likely to interpret it's announced date range? Is a flight that is scheduled to depart from the U.S. the evening of April 1 (after midnight German time) safe or is it part of the potential strike pool?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK*G (not matched)
LH flights departing the US to Germany the evening of 1 APR show still availability (while those 2-4 APR are zeroed out); so at least LH interprets the union's announcement the way that those flights are not in the strike pool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.