2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2018 - 2022 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

2019 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and an above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle and Delta's shuttles between their gates in T2, T3, and TBIT). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2018 - 2019 updates are in this thread.

Print Wikipost

2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:39 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: Please follow the thread as it moves to Los Angeles forum.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
So, in December I've got a flight coming in on SQ at LAX. I'm going to need to connect through to a flight, probably on UA or DL (this is TBD). How much time should I provide, on the presumption that I'm going to have to clear customs (obviously), switch terminals from TBIT, re-clear security (albeit with Nexus/Global Entry to help on both the immigration front and re-clearing security), and probably drop a checked bag? Thanks for the help.
TBIT to T7 is the 2nd worst transfer (TBIT to T1 is the worst) in terms of time and distance required. The actual time require to walk from TBIT to T7 is around 20 minutes if you walk fast. The landside bus could take 15 minutes or 45 minutes depending on traffic... I generally do not recommend taking the landside transfer bus at LAX unless you can't walk at reasonable pace or distance. LAX terminals are so close together, 9 out of 10 times, walking is faster and more direct than going out of your way to catch the bus.

Front cabin + GE + Precheck + no check bag = you can make this in 2 hours with time to spare (if you want to gamble, 90 min is probably bare minimum)
Back cabin + GE + Precheck + checked bag = at least 2.5 hours

The big difference is waiting for your bag to come out at TBIT custom.

Back cabin + no GE + no Precheck + checked bag = 3 hours minimum
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold, VS Gold
hi, sorry to trouble you all but wonder if you could help me out a little:

is 45 minutes enough for me to connect in LAX? currently, my flight from jfk arrived into lax @ 9.30pm and flight from lax-phx is 10.15pm (terminal 5 w. american eagle i believe).

all flights are booked under the same ticket and with american airlines.

not sure if it helps (unlikely i think...) i'm at the front of the plane so i'm one of the first to disembark. if not, i'll just sleepover at the airport!

but this could be a game-changer since i could depart on the first flight to SFO for my TP run next month.

thanks

Last edited by steven62343; Apr 15, 2018 at 5:02 pm
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by steven62343
is 45 minutes enough for me to connect in LAX? currently, my flight from jfk arrived into lax @ 9.30pm and flight from lax-phx is 10.15pm (terminal 5 w. american eagle i believe).

all flights are booked under the same ticket and with american airlines.
The official American Airlines minimum connect time at LAX for domestic to domestic flights, including mainline to regional, is 0:40 minutes. Assuming that your inbound is on time, being at the front of the plane should help you make the connection comfortably.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
The official American Airlines minimum connect time at LAX for domestic to domestic flights, including mainline to regional, is 0:40 minutes. Assuming that your inbound is on time, being at the front of the plane should help you make the connection comfortably.
thanks twa884. since i'm intending to connect to the last flight from LAX to Phoenix, if they do rebook me in the end to the next available flight (due to the fact that my inbound from JFK is delayed), i'll then miss my 7am flight from Phoenix to San Francisco the following morning.

will they rebook me from LAX to San Francisco in this case or?

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:19 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steven62343
thanks twa884. since i'm intending to connect to the last flight from LAX to Phoenix, if they do rebook me in the end to the next available flight (due to the fact that my inbound from JFK is delayed), i'll then miss my 7am flight from Phoenix to San Francisco the following morning.

will they rebook me from LAX to San Francisco in this case or?

Thanks for your help!
Sorry, I do not know the answer.

That's a question for the experts in the American Airlines forum.
Old May 3, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
EDIT: Gah! Nevermind, lounge isn't open till noon, so no go. Thx anyway!

Hi all,
Flying into TBIT this Saturday ~9am from AKL, has separate ticket on SW to OAK at 12:40pm. Have GlobalEntry, no checked luggage, can walk reasonably fast and can get mobile boarding pass for SW in advance. I know about T1 not connected to TBIT at all. Planning to use shower and relax a bit at KAL lounge (has Priority Pass for free access) before my next SW flight.

Can I exit at TBIT, come back thru T4 Security and proceed to KAL Lounge? (I know how to get there from T4, thx to the OneMileAtATime article). I understand I need to allow enough time to exit the KAL lounge, to walk over (outside the terminal) to T1 and clear security again there.

I guess the two main questions are:
* Would T4 TSA Pre-Check let me use my SW mobile boarding pass to get thru (explaining I need to use KAL lounge at TBIT)? I know LAX now allows clearing security at any terminal.

* When exiting the lounge, can I use the TBIT exit to walk to T1 or do I have to go all the way back to T4 to exit the bldg?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Jim

Last edited by Jamester; May 3, 2018 at 4:18 pm Reason: Gah! Nevermind, lounge isn't open till noon, so no go. Thx anyway! :(
Old May 4, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
A few things:

1. You're supposed to be able to enter any terminal at LAX with a same-day boarding pass.
2. It appears they've now installed a Pre-Check area at TBIT, so you may not need to head to T4 just for that purpose
3. I've never exited TBIT except on a flight or via T4! So, I guess someone more knowledgeable than I will need to answer that one.

I did once use the TBIT lounges when I was flying from T2. I recall a bus, so perhaps if that is an available option, you can shuttle airside from TBIT to T2 and then exit there and walk to T1 for your Southwest flight. Not sure if that saves any time or walking, though.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
quick question. first time on united, LAX, and the US (at least not in the last 20 years). on a SIN-LAX-DEN itinerary on united (UA38-UA314).

seems like both flights arrive and depart from T7? i understand i'll have to clear immigration&security upon arrival but what about check-in baggage

do i still have to clear immigration, head landside, collect baggage, re-checkin, and do security? or do i just have to clear immigration&security while remaining airside all this while and my bags will check all the way through from SIN?

ive been used to the latter with most airlines/airports but not sure if a different system applies for the US. thanks!
Old May 10, 2018, 10:17 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by natcin
quick question. first time on united, LAX, and the US (at least not in the last 20 years). on a SIN-LAX-DEN itinerary on united (UA38-UA314).

seems like both flights arrive and depart from T7? i understand i'll have to clear immigration&security upon arrival but what about check-in baggage

do i still have to clear immigration, head landside, collect baggage, re-checkin, and do security? or do i just have to clear immigration&security while remaining airside all this while and my bags will check all the way through from SIN?

ive been used to the latter with most airlines/airports but not sure if a different system applies for the US. thanks!
OK, going backwards

Yes, US has a system all its own

You clear Immigration, collect baggage, clear Customs, put luggage on the belt to final destination, then go landside @:-)

No need to re-checkin, though if you don't have all of your BPs, you may need to get those. Clear US security (they don't even trust Canadians ), and if you have *G, go to lounge, otherwise hang out and wait for flight to DEN.

Just did this in February, headed outside and remembered why I loved living in LA area. Then remembered it wasn't as expensive 30 years aro @:-)
Old May 10, 2018, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid

You clear Immigration, collect baggage, clear Customs, put luggage on the belt to final destination, then go landside @:-)

No need to re-checkin, though if you don't have all of your BPs, you may need to get those. Clear US security (they don't even trust Canadians ), and if you have *G, go to lounge, otherwise hang out and wait for flight to DEN.
thanks! with regards to the bolded part, so the self-baggage-transfer is all done airside? and once im out on landside i go through security to be back on airside?

the itinerary is booked on one ticket so i should have both BPs when i check-in in SIN.

additionally, my connection is 2h45m, should be okay time-wise?
Old May 10, 2018, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by natcin

thanks! with regards to the bolded part, so the self-baggage-transfer is all done airside? and once im out on landside i go through security to be back on airside?

the itinerary is booked on one ticket so i should have both BPs when i check-in in SIN.

additionally, my connection is 2h45m, should be okay time-wise?
The checked baggage drop off occurs right at the exit from the Federal Inspection Services Facility (immigration and customs checks). You then have to pass through a TSA security checkpoint to go back to the secured airside area.

United's published minimum connect time from international to domestic at T7 at LAX is 1:10. You should be fine.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:58 pm

perfect, thank you both for the quick replies!
Old May 12, 2018, 3:38 pm

Transfer LAX

My options:
Arriving in LAX from YYZ with AA going on to SYD. I will be clearing US customs in YYZ. I am reading that I need to re-clear again. Is that correct or does that not apply beacuse I cleared in YYZ?
AA arrives and departs from T4 - 2 hour connection time. OK?
My other option is to fly with WS - T2, and then take Delta T3. Again 2 hour connection time. Just confirming that there is airside connection between the two terminals so that I don't have to go through security.
Thanks
Old May 12, 2018, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you clear customs in YYZ you should be landing at a non-customs gate and can just walk out into LA.

There's not a walkable airside connection between T2 and T3, but since Delta moved there they've added an airside bus. It nominally adds is about 15 minutes wait+trip, but I don't use either of those terminals much and have never taken it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.