Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Catering updates 2021

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2022, 1:42 am

DUS-CDG on hoo

And the magical Wanders wonder box on the commuter service to Stavanger.Another 5 star Ceasar salad.
johan rebel and Goldorak like this.
Old May 18, 2022, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Netherlines
the magical Wanders wonder box on the commuter service to Stavanger.
They are no doubt paying Wanders so much money to design those boxes that there's no money left to fill them with anything remotely edible. But look on the bright side: you can take that eye-pleasing box home with you and display it in a prominent location, evoking fond memories of KLM's delectable cuisine for years to come.
Old May 18, 2022, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
They are no doubt paying Wanders so much money to design those boxes that there's no money left to fill them with anything remotely edible. But look on the bright side: you can take that eye-pleasing box home with you and display it in a prominent location, evoking fond memories of KLM's delectable cuisine for years to come.
Seeing my colleague struggle with the wooden cutlery by Greta on the cramped ERJ175 is certainly an image i won't forget any time soon
johan rebel and feederflight like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 7:22 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I'm awaiting for the first reports of people taking the silverware from their long-haul flight onto their connecting short-haul flight
Old May 24, 2022, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll admit that I found it edible, and the quantity was sufficient, but as for the rest . . . .

The in-flight service on this flight was really lousy, by the way. We were blessed with a Check Flight Attendant in 1D, along for a Quality Assurance Ride. On such flights one would expect the FAs to do their utmost and even go the extra mile, but in my experience the opposite is invariably true: the CFA and Cabin Supervisor or Purser spend most of the flight chatting in the galley, and the pax are ignored.

I was given a Wonderful Wanders Box and the drinks I requested, and that was it. The box was never collected, nor was the soda can. Fortunately, there's an otherwise useless little ledge within reach of 1A and C, and I dumped my box there. The soda, which I did not manage to finish, I placed against the bulkhead and then held it in place with my right foot as we landed.

When asked, the gent behind me in 2A said he wanted some wine. The Cabin Supervisor went to the galley, where she engaged the CFA in animated conversation for close on ten minutes before returning to tell the pax which wines were on offer.

Then when we arrived, hours late and with lots of pax eager to disembark and to continue to wherever they were heading, she decided to stand in the doorway and have a discussion with the gate agent about a lady pax with lots of kids and toddlers and a ton of carry-ons, who had requested assistance on arrival, to which she was technically not entitled. While the CS and GA considered whether to provide assistance anyway, some 120 pax were left chomping at the bit.

On top of all that, the captain told porkies. When everyone was on board he informed us that we would be on our way within five minutes, as soon as loading was finished. In reality, we had no shows, and the luggage handlers had to look for their bags. I could hear them rummaging around in the hold for a long time. Finally two bags were offloaded, and we took off delayed another half hour.

Amazing.

Johan
Fabo.sk and Netherlines like this.
Old May 25, 2022, 12:55 am

Programs: FB Gold
That Wanders box looks familiar to many of us !

Certainly the overwhelming positive feedback has been heard at all levels of KLM and by Mme. van Streun to continue serving that pâtes with salmon dish indefinitely.
johan rebel likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold

I'll admit that I found it edible, and the quantity was sufficient, but as for the rest . . . .

The in-flight service on this flight was really lousy, by the way. We were blessed with a Check Flight Attendant in 1D, along for a Quality Assurance Ride. On such flights one would expect the FAs to do their utmost and even go the extra mile, but in my experience the opposite is invariably true: the CFA and Cabin Supervisor or Purser spend most of the flight chatting in the galley, and the pax are ignored.

I was given a Wonderful Wanders Box and the drinks I requested, and that was it. The box was never collected, nor was the soda can. Fortunately, there's an otherwise useless little ledge within reach of 1A and C, and I dumped my box there. The soda, which I did not manage to finish, I placed against the bulkhead and then held it in place with my right foot as we landed.

When asked, the gent behind me in 2A said he wanted some wine. The Cabin Supervisor went to the galley, where she engaged the CFA in animated conversation for close on ten minutes before returning to tell the pax which wines were on offer.

Then when we arrived, hours late and with lots of pax eager to disembark and to continue to wherever they were heading, she decided to stand in the doorway and have a discussion with the gate agent about a lady pax with lots of kids and toddlers and a ton of carry-ons, who had requested assistance on arrival, to which she was technically not entitled. While the CS and GA considered whether to provide assistance anyway, some 120 pax were left chomping at the bit.

On top of all that, the captain told porkies. When everyone was on board he informed us that we would be on our way within five minutes, as soon as loading was finished. In reality, we had no shows, and the luggage handlers had to look for their bags. I could hear them rummaging around in the hold for a long time. Finally two bags were offloaded, and we took off delayed another half hour.

Amazing.

Johan
Did you bring your own cutlery?
Old May 26, 2022, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by westi2002
Did you bring your own cutlery?
Yeah, I don't chew wood for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

That plastic cutlery comes from WBC, you get (or perhaps got) it with certain snacks. Almost indestructible, I always carry a set in my bag.

Johan
AnaTFN, Solevita and Arpoador like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium

Amazing.

Johan
I'm not going to lie, I went into my shorthaul KLM flight expecting this but I had the complete opposite experience for my cityhopper flight yesterday. Active FAs had about 5 or 6 rounds of service for European Business and managed to fit in 2 rounds of service for a full Y flight in the back. My only complaints were that the salmon tasted a bit off and the wooden cutlery sucks. However, what you described above basically happened on my transatlantic flight to AMS, so I guess the upshot is that service is either a hit-or-miss these days with KLM unlike the good ole days.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by physicsdude
I had the complete opposite experience for my cityhopper flight yesterday.
The KLC in-flight service is usually good to excellent, generally head and shoulders above mainline, which is still pretty decent in shorthaul J.

My experience was the exception that proves the rule, and no doubt a direct result of it being a QA flight. All my other flights with a Check Flight Attendant in the cabin (just a handful) have been on mainline, always with the same consequences: service suffers.

Johan
physicsdude likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:45 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
We have flights booked from OPO to AMS for later this summer (in C). When booked, this was to be operated by a 737. I just noticed, by chance, that it is now a E190... so no more empty middle seat. Great.

In fact I was not aware of Cityhopper operating such long flights (Close to 3hr). Does that mean the service will be Cityhopper style, specifically the food and drink? I'm imagining fewer drink rounds compared to mainline, perhaps a smaller meal, and such. This flight will be around dinnertime.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Does that mean the service will be Cityhopper style, specifically the food and drink? I'm imagining fewer drink rounds compared to mainline, perhaps a smaller meal, and such. This flight will be around dinnertime.
No, you can expect exactly the same Wonderful Wanders Box with exactly the same stylish wooden cutlery. If anything, the KLC Cabin Supervisor is more likely to go the extra mile than a mainline purser.

Johan
Old Jun 3, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold
No, you can expect exactly the same Wonderful Wanders Box with exactly the same stylish wooden cutlery. If anything, the KLC Cabin Supervisor is more likely to go the extra mile than a mainline purser.

Johan
In my experience indeed they go the extra mile. In KLC they quite often do a second service whereas on 737 they tend to do only 1 service (2h flight)
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I decided to decline the box with cardboard "American" pancakes offered at lunchtime today. The two other pax in my row accepted the boxes, opened them, took a look, and closed them again.

They did come round with an unofficial extra snack tray (i.e. what the pax in coach get), and I got a personalized picture postcard.

Johan
Old Jun 7, 2022, 7:19 pm

The food from Amsterdam to curacao was ‘oke’
the snacks in the front of wbc were Nice. I sit in row 1 and almost every body sleep.. but in the end before the second serving everybody get hungry and the bucket with snacks get empty

tomorrow I will taste the food from curacao to Amsterdam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.