Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Catering updates 2021

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
All the above photos are from business class. For cattle class the long haul dinner is meatballs or pasta. To be honest the meatballs are edible. For breakfast (on transatlantic flights at least) it is some roll with an egg mess in it; inedible and avoid
Old Dec 21, 2021, 2:24 am

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum

Gotta thank KL for reminding me what it feels like to eat with utensils worthy of a 4 year old.

The upside is that it didn’t feel like I was licking a tree everytime I took a spoonfull of yogurt.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Digicola

Gotta thank KL for reminding me what it feels like to eat with utensils worthy of a 4 year old.

The upside is that it didn’t feel like I was licking a tree everytime I took a spoonfull of yogurt.
Nice! As good as gold-plated silverware.
You must have been flying J on this leg to get such a fancy plastic material.
Goldorak, Solevita and Digicola like this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wanna trade?

Yes, it's true, that fork has been used. But only once. Very carefully and gently. By just one single person : me.
Milkman, Arpoador and Digicola like this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, Hooray!

Finally! Can't tell you how much I've missed that Bulgur salad. Now that it comes with a Greta fork as seasoning it tastes even better than before.

I wonder how KL has figured out that 4 1/2 falafel balls is just the right amount for me.
​​​​​
Johan
Solevita and Arpoador like this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Wanna trade?

Yes, it's true, that fork has been used. But only once. Very carefully and gently. By just one single person : me.
I could use a new fork, I broke mine by biting a bit too hard last time. FA must have thought I was being enthusiastic about the caesar salad.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Finally! Can't tell you how much I've missed that Bulgur salad. Now that it comes with a Greta fork as seasoning it tastes even better than before.

I wonder how KL has figured out that 4 1/2 falafel balls is just the right amount for me.
​​​​​
Johan
My new way of sprucing up the bulgur salad is to just dip the olive biscuits in the sauce and top it with a bloc of cheese.

Concerning the falafel balls, I suspect they had enough data from the 2020 iteration to do studies upon studies and mathematically engineer the current proportions.

The half baked cherry/apricot pies are a step up from last year imho but coupled with the chocolate cake from AF and the CDG-AMS run should be dubbed the blood sugar express.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My new way of sprucing up the bulgur salad is to just dip the olive biscuits in the sauce and top it with a bloc of cheese.
Gosh, why didn't I think of that? I never even opened that pack of biscuits.

By the way, I've noticed that on Cityhopper flights the FA usually adds a pack of biscuits to the meal box, which box they always present to you open. On mainline flights you never get the biscuits (although they do stock them), and there's a good chance they will hand you a closed Wonderful Wanders Box. Probably so you can the more admire the unique design.

Concerning the falafel balls, I suspect they had enough data from the 2020 iteration to do studies upon studies and mathematically engineer the current proportions.
I guess that goes for the pomegranate seeds too. I'll be sure to count them next time!

The half baked cherry/apricot pies are a step up from last year imho but coupled with the chocolate cake from AF and the CDG-AMS run should be dubbed the blood sugar express.
At least the apricot pie is not covered in powdered sugar, which unavoidably flies over the place every time you take a bite. I can't recall if it's the apple pie or the cherry one that's generously powdered. The former, I think.

As for Greta's Green Cutlery . . . FAs tell me that pax are far from impressed. What a surprise!

That Golden Horde Cutlery, on the other hand, has its uses. Reuseable and almost indestructible, I have a set that travels with my in a backpack on road trips. Great when I get my lunch from, say, a Whole Foods Market hot bar.

Johan
Digicola likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:47 am

The unboxing is how they provide you with premium service. Or since KLM mainline insists on making an announcement asking passengers not to take photos, maybe its so we aren’t tempted to take a shot of the culinary delights that are being served.

I complained about the caesar salad on my previous flight and the FA tried to offer me her meal. To my dismay they were also being fed salads (no chicken, more tomatoes) and pies so I kindly refused and went back to sleep.

Talking about tomatoes and bean counting, imagine the shock and indignation on my face when I opened my salad and saw I had not 5 cherry tomato halves but only 1!! Is KLM trying to starve me for complaining too much?

Pro tip for the pies and powdered sugar, I usually take the pie and flip it upside down in its wrapper. Unconventional way to eat it but it keeps the sugar from flying all over the place. What it won’t do is keep it off of your fingers but hey its better than nothing.

Regarding the cutlery, its kind of ironic that the plastic non greta certified sets are actually the most reusable ones. Just a bit sad that with these they manage to completely destroy their « commitment to green flying » and alienate their passengers in one go. Oh well, at least AF still has metal (for now).
Old Dec 23, 2021, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KLM Cabin Crew Unions wish you a Merry Christmas, but don't want to serve you anymore

The biggest KL FA union has just proudly announced that after putting a lot of pressure on managment they have succeeded in having cabin service reduced to a bare minimum, to protect them from that horribly contagious omicron scourge!

All details here (in Dutch), but these are the highlights:

- longhaul coach: no meal choice; everthing on one tray; no coffee or tea.
- longhaul business: no PDB; menu, sanitizing towel, bottle of water and bag of nuts placed on seat before boarding; huisje in a plastic bag, you may no longer pick and choose.

Bottom line is that the unions want to avoid contact with the passengers who are paying their salaries to the greatest extent possible.

They've gone out of their minds. If you can't handle it, then resign and get another job.

Johan
Old Dec 23, 2021, 1:40 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Thanks for the report Johan. We wanted AF and KL offers to be more consistent, we got it. Hurray.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 4:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Every time I fly KL, every freaking time, something happens to the catering. Even before covid I managed to pick the perfect timing for the catering strikes. Why did I even accept to be rerouted via KL (which happened to both my short haul and long haul)
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
Flew AMS-PTY recently and the food was a very big disappointment. I regularly fly the route with KLM and it is very noticeable how it has been going downhill specially this year.
  • Had the duck for appetiser and it didn't look/taste that great.
  • Side dish salad was ok.
  • Mains bothered. No beef? Ok I get it, but two fish (with a very little bit of chicken in one) and a vegetarian ... Chicken was good, rest of the dish was uninteresting.
  • Dessert was nice.
  • Light meal before landing was terrible. Beef burger is now a plant based burger, which the crew was trying very hard to get people to order. My +1 ordered it and I ordered the "chicken" empanada. We both returned the trays after just two bites. Burger was actually quite bad and with an odd flavour. Empanada had one little piece of chicken and the rest was vegetables.
I understand why we should be cutting beef and meats overall from our meals, but when vegetarian foods and meat light dishes are forced into the menu, it gets quite annoying. Specially when the alternatives are simply not as good, or well thought out. The food and menu felt like a flavourless cost-cutting measure and the crew knew about it, and tried their best to try and please passengers that were returning almost full plates.

My return flight is in a few weeks and want to see if I can change to AF. For any future flights on this route, I will also be looking at alternatives from KLM.

Last edited by AHC96; Dec 23, 2021 at 6:54 am
Old Dec 23, 2021, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AHC96
I understand why we should be cutting beef and meats overall from our meals, but when vegetarian foods and meat light dishes are forced into the menu, it gets quite annoying.
I really resent it when others try to impose vegetarianism, veganism or other dietary choices on me, especially when when they are motivated by woke/SJW/climate alarmism and other personal beliefs that I do not share. Even more so when it is just used as a fig leaf for cost cutting. I say this as someone who eats very little meat, and who is very picky about the meat I do eat. I figure I have all sorts of good reasons for that, but the decision is mine, it is not something I want to be told I should or must do.

Johan
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
So it does not seem to me like a huge cut down, meal and drink service still available in WBC. I fly LIM-AMS mid JAN, just for fun, anybody has been able to rebook to AF due to service cut on KL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.