Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Catering updates 2021

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2022, 3:00 am

JNB to AMS

Due to the delay of around 90 minutes I didn't make dessert nor wake up for the breakfast.

The dinner was awful.

Chicken char sui, was mainly rice, no tate the starters were quinoa, hummius abd fennel salad.
HadesNL and BA850 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 3:36 am

Programs: FB Club 2000, M&M Hon
Originally Posted by BA850
BUD-AMS this morning. It’s the best Wanders Box I’ve had so far, but that isn’t saying much. I ate the croissant and hot cinnamon roll (not pictured), and left the rest. The Purser suggested there would be a change in October, but she couldn’t say whether it would be a menu alteration or a return to a proper service. She did say that she and her colleagues are constantly feeding back passenger dissatisfaction though.
Looks like a bunch of s##t together, grapped from the "too-good-to-go" leftovers at Albert Heijn.
johan rebel and BA850 like this.

Last edited by tgv2; Aug 15, 2022 at 11:10 pm
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
AMS-JFK: ‘Tasting Delicacies’ for lunch, followed by a Cheeseburger with Truffle Sauce as the pre-landing meal. To be honest, I enjoyed it all. Much better than the catering within Europe and complimented by a truly exceptional crew:

Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Much better than the catering within Europe
But that's just about the lowest bar imaginable, and longhaul shouldn't be held to shorthaul standards anyway.

Johan
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
But that's just about the lowest bar imaginable, and longhaul shouldn't be held to shorthaul standards anyway.

Johan
True, but the real takeaway is that the disparity is so great that it feels like flying on two different airlines. I’d say that’s a pretty big problem for KLM (not that anyone in Amstelveen seems bothered).
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True, but the real takeaway is that the disparity is so great that it feels like flying on two different airlines. I’d say that’s a pretty big problem for KLM (not that anyone in Amstelveen seems bothered).
KLM would much prefer having no shorthaul J at all. Various KLM honchos have said as much in interviews I've read over the years. They are keeping it for one single reason: connecting WBC pax. They nevertheless think that they can get away with cutting the shorthaul product to the bone, and then some.

And no, nobody in Amstelveen could care less, witness the profile of their flying catering guru in the Flying Dutchman magazine.

Johan
mlin32 and BA850 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
KLM would much prefer having no shorthaul J at all. Various KLM honchos have said as much in interviews I've read over the years. They are keeping it for one single reason: connecting WBC pax. They nevertheless think that they can get away with cutting the shorthaul product to the bone, and then some.

And no, nobody in Amstelveen could care less, witness the profile of their flying catering guru in the Flying Dutchman magazine.

Johan
Their pricing on shorthaul J makes it very clear they don't want pax to buy, unlike AF.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:00 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by Ukchris82
JNB to AMS

Due to the delay of around 90 minutes I didn't make dessert nor wake up for the breakfast.

The dinner was awful.

Chicken char sui, was mainly rice, no tate the starters were quinoa, hummius abd fennel salad.
As a Cantonese, this one look disgusting and inauthentic, when have bell pepper part of Cantonese roast cusine?
johan rebel and maalloc like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by rt23456p
As a Cantonese, this one look disgusting and inauthentic, when have bell pepper part of Cantonese roast cusine?
Oh you didn’t get the memo?
At the same time Quinoa became staple food, apparently !
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 7:02 am

JFK-AMS and AMS-BUD yesterday:

First up, the delicacies selection served as dinner from JFK. It was preceded by a very good crab salad, but the quality of the main dish wasn’t as good as a Westbound flight.

Second, the Wanders Box presented en-route to BUD. Curried eggs, salmon, muesli, Greek yoghurt and fruit. In a word; inedible. The gentleman in 1A wisely refused the box and pointedly asked for a sandwich from Economy instead. My neighbour and I both handed ours back the purser after a couple of bites.

Old Sep 1, 2022, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the Wanders Box presented en-route to BUD. Curried eggs, salmon, muesli, Greek yoghurt and fruit. In a word; inedible.
The feedback they get must be consistently terrible, but all criticism obviously falls on deaf ears, as they have been serving this crap for years, and don't seem to have any plans to up their game. That pandemic may once upon a time have been a valid excuse for chucking everything in one box, but that doesn't cut it anymore, and even food served in a box can be edible. If served to J class pax it should be. No excuses.

Johan
Old Sep 1, 2022, 12:27 pm

The feedback they get must be consistently terrible, but all criticism obviously falls on deaf ears, as they have been serving this crap for years, and don't seem to have any plans to up their game. That pandemic may once upon a time have been a valid excuse for chucking everything in one box, but that doesn't cut it anymore, and even food served in a box can be edible. If served to J class pax it should be. No excuses.

Johan
Agreed. I cannot imagine that many (if any) flights in KLM’s European J pass without at least one complaint, but as you note, such criticism seems to be routinely ignored.

The Purser was apologetic and noted that he constantly provides feedback to his superiors (this is emerging as a theme, per my post a few weeks ago). I do sympathise with the crews - I personally find that they’re often among the best in the business but have to do their job with dreadful tools.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 5:40 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond

Main meal menu

Breakfast menu

White wine list

Red wine list

Attached offerings on YEG-AMS on 9/15. I had the Tomato soup, which was pretty good, and the beef toutiere which was very good along with the veggies. This was one of the better meals I’ve had in J (excluding TK, EVA, JAL and Gulf Air), definitely better than I have had on any airline based in the Americas (well they generally are the low bar).

Breakfast was meh.

Next item to look forward to - the dreaded offerings on AMS-BER later today after a long 7 hr layover thanks to my original BER flight getting cancelled.
BA850 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 5:09 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Wanders box AMS-BER on 9/16, no choice given, it was the Salmon box which looked good but I cannot eat as I am allergic to seafood, containers for some olives & sun dried tomatoes and a chocolate mousse.
BA850 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by tobegold
Wanders box AMS-BER on 9/16, no choice given, it was the Salmon box which looked good but I cannot eat as I am allergic to seafood, containers for some olives & sun dried tomatoes and a chocolate mousse.
The choice is “take it or leave it,” unfortunately. If you ask, they’ll usually give you a stroopwafel or a sandwich from economy instead.

The allergen thing has long bothered me. If you’re allergic to seafood (or nuts, as many of the boxes contain), you’re a bit stuffed. I mean, the food isn’t worth eating, so you aren’t missing anything, but it stands to reason that a passenger on a premium fare should be able to eat something if they want to.

The only caveat is that they do print the allergens on the menu, so I suppose it’s possible to pick and choose what you eat (if trace levels of cross-contamination isn’t an issue).
rt23456p likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.