Wiki Posts
Search

Catering updates 2021

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2022, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carel1
Last Thursday the famous Samosa on LIS-AMS
Greta would perhaps have approved of the contents, but certainly not of the wrapper. But then again, she probably believes airline pas should be starved as a punishment for their sins.

Johan
Solevita, Arpoador and JournoFlyer like this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Johan,

As much as I am indebted and in admiration of your intarishable knowledge of anything KLM or Schiphol related, I do believe the Greta-bashing is getting a little stale.

She's just a kid and, whether we agree with her or not, she has the merit of putting us in front of the uncomfortable yet undeniable impact that air travel has on the envorinment.

I know you're just making light, but would be grateful if we could keep these threads on topic without getting political.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
I do believe the Greta-bashing is getting a little stale.
Oh sure, you're right, she's getting stale. The pandemic has for several years successfully kept her out of the limelight (there's a bright side to everything!), and now the Ukraine war has focused people's minds elsewhere. By now she is no longer a kid but an adult, so that drawcard is off the table. The next charming youthful climate fearmonger is surely already waiting in the wings, ready to take over and pounce on us who take to the wing.

I won't mention her again. Promise!

Damnatio memoriae.

Johan
boss315, Didymis, Solevita and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 5:07 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Johan,
She's just a kid and, whether we agree with her or not, she has the merit of putting us in front of the uncomfortable yet undeniable impact that air travel has on the envorinment.
She hasn't been a kid for over a year at least. At 19 years old she's too old for school strikes now...
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:01 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum, Hertz Platinum
With the exception of the breakfast boxes, meals on AMS-CDG-AMS are about halv the size of the regular wonder boxes. There is also no “Extra serving” mentioned in the menu. I assume this might also be true for similar length routes.

Last edited by Arpoador; Apr 28, 2022 at 11:49 pm
Old May 7, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / SkyTeam Elite Plus

This is what was served on KL1219 CDG-AMS this Saturday. And honestly... it was good! The tabouleh was fresh and had lots of flavor. The falafels, hummus, and passion fruit mousse were also good.

Only downside: the wooden cutlery. But based on this thread history I think it's safe to say we all agree on that.
johan rebel likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by JournoFlyer

This is what was served on KL1219 CDG-AMS this Saturday. And honestly... it was good! The tabouleh was fresh and had lots of flavor. The falafels, hummus, and passion fruit mousse were also good.

Only downside: the wooden cutlery. But based on this thread history I think it's safe to say we all agree on that.
the presentation is just...awful
Old May 7, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)

I raised it to the senior purser today on my flight and basically everybody within ear's reach (3-4 rows) vocally agreed with what I said. And so did the senior purser.

I was an inch away of getting an applause.

It does not make any sense to replace cutlery with wood yet stick with bins full of plastic containers and bottles. Also it tastes horrible.
Old May 7, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / SkyTeam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Goldorak
the presentation is just...awful
Fresh, tasty, *AND* appealing/presentable was maybe a little too much to ask 😉
Old May 7, 2022, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fresh, tasty, *AND* appealing/presentable was maybe a little too much to ask 😉
Only if KL didn't charge too much for the ticket.

Johan
Old May 7, 2022, 5:16 pm

Programs: FB Gold

It's acceptable the first time. But KLM serves this along with just a couple other Wanders boxes (pātes with salmon, or pancakes) so it'd get old quickly.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlin32
It's acceptable the first time. But KLM serves this along with just a couple other Wanders boxes (pātes with salmon, or pancakes) so it'd get old quickly.
You can say that again. For anybody who flies more often that pax who splurge on J for their annual vacation trip is sure gets real boring real fast. You know exactly what you are going to get, and you know it's nothing to look forward to.

I've said this before, but one of the really nice things about KL's old lunch concept was that pax were actually offered a choice from several sandwiches, and the selection changed regularly as well. Now they don't even offer lunch at all anymore, it's just breakfast or a salad.

Johan
Arpoador and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lounge conversation. Loquacious American lady annoying French gent trying to focus on his laptop.

"What airline are you flying?"
"KLM"
"Oh, KLM! They really look after you!"
"Yeah, but their food is terrible".

No comment.

Johan
Old May 10, 2022, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They're beyond redemption.

Another breakfast at lunchtime. Several pax in my vicinity expressed surprise or dismay when they were told what was on offer.
(Yes, I brought my own cutlery - the kind you get with certain snacks in WBC - almost indestructible).

Purser came around with a tray of these at the top of the descent.

Had a long conversation about the catering with the purser. As all her colleagues, she readily agreed that it all sucks. That horrible wooden cutlery is a real bone of contention, and management is well aware of how dissatisfied pax are.

The "extra serving" pictured above is not an official one, the flight was too short to qualify. On her own initiative the purser instead distributed coach cookies in J. She explained that what kind of extra serving you get, if any, indeed depends on the length of the flight. Cucumber or carrot juice on shortish flights, something chewy on on longer ones. Exactly what seems to be random. KLM protocol actually requires that the "extra serving" is served at the same time as the box, but this is widely ignored, most crew choosing to wait until later in the flight.

Johan
SkyteamEP and Maestro Ramen like this.

Last edited by johan rebel; May 10, 2022 at 1:32 pm
Old May 11, 2022, 4:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
That's sad !
Breakfast at lunchtime always strikes me as a costcutting method.
johan rebel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.