Wiki Posts
Search

TrueBlue Changes 2023

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: Jet Blue Mosaic, Emirates Silver, Etihad Silver, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by truncated
Looking at the "Mosaic Perks You Pick" -

Mint Suite Priority (arriving later in 2023)
  • Priority access to Mint Suite selection on select aircraft (pending availability). Excludes Mint Studio™.
Anyone else think this means they're going to start charging for the 1-1 suites on the old Mint configuration (assuming they can get their IT to handle it)...
Yes, seems that way and maybe even a bit like British Airways where you can’t book a business class seat upon booking without status. Will be interesting to see what this means.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
The biggest insult here is that they clearly did this without existing Mosaics in mind. The least they could have done was grandfather us in to existing Mosaic benefits for all of 2023. The email they sent went to all TrueBlue members--they didn't even send a Mosaic specific one. Again because they don't care about us. I'll have a few weeks to figure out whether I want to switch to AA or DL.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RWPrincess
The biggest insult here is that they clearly did this without existing Mosaics in mind. The least they could have done was grandfather us in to existing Mosaic benefits for all of 2023. The email they sent went to all TrueBlue members--they didn't even send a Mosaic specific one. Again because they don't care about us. I'll have a few weeks to figure out whether I want to switch to AA or DL.

I think it is actually the opposite. Most of the Mosaics spent a lot more than $4-5,000/year and got no extra benefits. Now they can move up to higher levels and get more benefits without having to fly 10 long flights and/or 14 total flights to get bonus miles plus they can select other benefits. Remember that Mosaic was started back when nearly all the offerings were low cost coach flights. Spending $4-5,000 on $39 trips to Florida was very difficult before. Even with Mint's introduction, you had to fly quite a few $399 LAX-NYC/BOS flights to reach Mosaic. Now there is the potential to get Mosaic with as little as one flight in a premium cabin on AA/B6.

The airline has changed and those only spending $4,000 and doing 30 low cost flights in a year are no longer anywhere close to being the top spenders. Not only that, once that tier was reached there was no incentive to keep spending. There was also no real incentive to use the credit card either if you were not spending $50,000/year.

Now, say with $20,000/year credit card spend plus the 20 point boost after reaching Tier 1, you can spend $6,000 on B6/AA and get to Tier 2. That seems very reasonable and at Tier 2 if you are not going to get to the next Tier you can still claim the 15,000 bonus.

The airline and the US market in general has changed and so must the airline. Also if partner reciprocity is to be expected in the future why should somebody spending $4-5,000/year on a combination of B6/AA flights get top tier on AA or any other airline? It would also not be fair to those spending $20,000 to end up with the lowest status on AA or any other partner. Most airlines have at least 4 tiers now. As they combine with NK and expand other airline partnerships, there have to be realistic tiers which match up with others. All things considered, I think it is pretty fair.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Dec 7, 2022 at 3:39 pm
Old Dec 7, 2022, 4:51 pm
NLS

For me it seems like almost nothing is changing. I qualify via CC spending because the 24 hour free flight change is extremely valuable in my market. I easily save thousands of dollars a year using it, in part because one of the cities in my "area" always has much cheaper flights than my home airport does. The EMS for 100 points was nice but was always communicated as just for 2022 -- plus since I so rarely actually fly on the flight I originally booked, choosing seats at booking has never mattered much anyway!
Old Dec 7, 2022, 7:13 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
I think it is actually the opposite. Most of the Mosaics spent a lot more than $4-5,000/year and got no extra benefits. Now they can move up to higher levels and get more benefits without having to fly 10 long flights and/or 14 total flights to get bonus miles plus they can select other benefits. Remember that Mosaic was started back when nearly all the offerings were low cost coach flights. Spending $4-5,000 on $39 trips to Florida was very difficult before. Even with Mint's introduction, you had to fly quite a few $399 LAX-NYC/BOS flights to reach Mosaic. Now there is the potential to get Mosaic with as little as one flight in a premium cabin on AA/B6.

The airline has changed and those only spending $4,000 and doing 30 low cost flights in a year are no longer anywhere close to being the top spenders. Not only that, once that tier was reached there was no incentive to keep spending. There was also no real incentive to use the credit card either if you were not spending $50,000/year.

Now, say with $20,000/year credit card spend plus the 20 point boost after reaching Tier 1, you can spend $6,000 on B6/AA and get to Tier 2. That seems very reasonable and at Tier 2 if you are not going to get to the next Tier you can still claim the 15,000 bonus.

The airline and the US market in general has changed and so must the airline. Also if partner reciprocity is to be expected in the future why should somebody spending $4-5,000/year on a combination of B6/AA flights get top tier on AA or any other airline? It would also not be fair to those spending $20,000 to end up with the lowest status on AA or any other partner. Most airlines have at least 4 tiers now. As they combine with NK and expand other airline partnerships, there have to be realistic tiers which match up with others. All things considered, I think it is pretty fair.
Unless that prior higher spend (spend in 2022 for the 2023 program year) is counted toward the higher tiers for this program after the changeover (which the FAQs conveniently didn't address), then no, they're getting screwed. To get the "perks" of this new program might require new spend.

Also, the tiles are such a cop out for trying to hide the tiers.

I bet I can get more for my money by crediting to American and getting the benefits as a Fauxaic.
GW McLintock and truncated like this.

Last edited by diburning; Dec 7, 2022 at 10:31 pm
Old Dec 7, 2022, 7:41 pm

They are going to a multi-tier ff program. So obviously if you got a lot of perks while they were in a single tier system, your perks will be diluted if you can no longer get to the higher tiers. EMS was never a perk available at booking until the past year. I'm not sure why people are expecting it would be available going forward for the lowest tier. That first tier is basically AAdvantage Gold and Gold don't get Y+ at booking or at check-in.

So now they basically have 4 tiers like AA. I'd say their Tier 2 is pretty good since you can get 4 mint upgrades cert. With AA, I didn't get any SWUs until EXP level. Their tier 3/4 seems quite lacking, since I don't see enough perks over Tier 2.

They are basically domestic first away from becoming a legacy at this point. And they will probably get there after NK merger.

This is no longer JetBlue of 10 years ago. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you will realize these tiers are quite reasonable compared to competition.
NLS likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, TrueBlue, SkyMiles, HH SM, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I didn't get an email
Midtowngal likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I don't think they sent out emails. This was announced on their website
Old Dec 8, 2022, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, TrueBlue, SkyMiles, HH SM, Amtrak Guest Rewards
B6 just made TrueBlue program like any other program. Is there any reason for us to stick around? It feels like we'd get better value at other airlines.

Also, it doesn't look like the perks really start until spring of 2023. Our 2022 spend doesn't accrue once the new program starts in January.
Midtowngal likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 7:08 am

Not a TrueBlue loyalist and haven’t flown B6 in a couple years . I would appreciate any info about how this works with AA. Are all AA flights except transatlantic eligible to earn Mosaic ? The information I read said to be sure to book AA flights via B6 website - but aren’t the only AA flights available on the B6 website the ones that are in the Northeast Alliance ? Is the announcement a hint that all AA flights will be on the B6 website in 2023 ? As you can see , I am quite confused
Old Dec 8, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: Free agent
Very glad I jumped ship when I did. Award certs? Second boarding group? I can see the usefulness of SDC at the first major tier for business travelers but otherwise this is just a slapdash version of what every other airline does. I'd rather keep status in an airline that actually handles IRROPs. Meet the new airline, same as the old airlines.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by diburning
With some of these changes, I can't blame them -- I wouldn't have sent an email either.

-J.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by diburning
Ah I got an email when the announcement came out, but not that it matters since I'm letting my Mosaic lapse after this year — so clearly they should have figured out how to send it to other more relevant people lol
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Still nothing on redeeming awards on partners?
+1 - where's the long promised ability to book AA with TrueBlue pints?
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tphuang
They are going to a multi-tier ff program. So obviously if you got a lot of perks while they were in a single tier system, your perks will be diluted if you can no longer get to the higher tiers. EMS was never a perk available at booking until the past year. I'm not sure why people are expecting it would be available going forward for the lowest tier. That first tier is basically AAdvantage Gold and Gold don't get Y+ at booking or at check-in.

So now they basically have 4 tiers like AA. I'd say their Tier 2 is pretty good since you can get 4 mint upgrades cert. With AA, I didn't get any SWUs until EXP level. Their tier 3/4 seems quite lacking, since I don't see enough perks over Tier 2.

They are basically domestic first away from becoming a legacy at this point. And they will probably get there after NK merger.

This is no longer JetBlue of 10 years ago. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you will realize these tiers are quite reasonable compared to competition.

Precisely. Mint Level 1 is exactly the same as Mosaic has been every year until this one when EMS were temporarily given as a moving toward COVID exit perk--with the added benefit of getting EMS at check in. How is this a slap in the face to long term Mosaics when everything is the same plus one benefit added? Mosaic boarding is still the same, points earning, etc. so perhaps people are just not reading the terms of the new program. B6 will be close to UAs size by the time the merger goes through so why anybody would think that the lowest level status would get you the world is just not realistic. This sets up the basis for future partnerships and reciprocal benefits and actually gives incentives for people to use the B6 credit cards more and to continue spending money with AA/B6 beyond $4,000 to $5,000 per year.

I myself reached Mosaic long ago and have mostly just redeemed the last half of the year as I had no incentive to spend more. I also used the B6 card a lot less and even used AMEX Platinum for some B6 purchases. Now I have more an incentive to charge more to the B6 card. A FF program should incentivize spend which benefits the airline's bottom line while giving perks back to the customer. I think they actually did quite a fair tradeoff considering how much you need to spend with other airlines to get often non-existent perks.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Dec 8, 2022 at 10:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.