Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Q&A Thread on JetBlue : Ask your newbie questions here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 24, 2022, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GW McLintock
Welcome to the JetBlue TrueBlue Forum FLAME-FREE Q&A Thread!

As seen on many other forums, the Flame-Free Q&A Thread is a friendly place for members to ask anything, even the most basic of questions. No snarky responses here! There are no stupid questions in this thread. This is a centralized place to ask simple questions for which you may not want to start an entire thread. A special effort will be made to avoid using acronyms, jargon, or other language difficult to understand to those who may not fly JetBlue so often. Personally I've found this type of resource to be immensely helpful on other forums, and it's about time that we have one here.

So without further ado... ask away
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Q&A Thread on JetBlue : Ask your newbie questions here!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2023, 1:14 pm

I have AA status which allows me to check a bag for free. I just booked a basic economy fare on JetBlue which means I don't have access to the overhead bins. If I bring a carry-on to the gate agent will I be able to gate-check the bag?
Old Feb 23, 2023, 1:07 am

I am stuck with a travel bank credit I have had a hard time using. It is about to expire soon.

do they offer extensions?

if I book a more expensive ticket and cancel will it issue the whole credit for one year further out?

if I purchase a ticket in “blue” class before the credit expires and need to change the date later after the credit would have expired will that be fine?
Old Feb 23, 2023, 9:09 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by lunchtime
do they offer extensions?
No

if I book a more expensive ticket and cancel will it issue the whole credit for one year further out?
No, the portion paid with the travel bank credit would go back to the travel bank with the original expiration

if I purchase a ticket in “blue” class before the credit expires and need to change the date later after the credit would have expired will that be fine?
Yes, as long as the ticket is changed and not cancelled.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 10:23 pm

Had 2A assigned for weeks and just got an email saying I've been moved to 1F due to inoperational seat and yet ExpertFlyer shows my original seat as occupied. Air marshall?
Old Mar 4, 2023, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP (CK/1MM)
Hoping someone can answer - I tried searching but couldn't find addressed.

Is there a trick to changing my TrueBlue number to AA number on a reservation booked through Jetblue Vacations? When I made the original booking, I could only input B6 FF #. When I go back now to manage my reservation, it shows an input for AA, but when I submit the update, the website just hangs and eventually times out.

I tried calling the Jetblue Vacations lines, and spent 20 minutes on the phone with an agent who told me she had made the change, but now, 36 hours later, its still not reflected in my reservation.

I tried contacting JetBlue on twitter, and they told me they're unable to make changes to a Jetblue Vacations booking.

Really, in the end, I just want to make sure I'm not going to have to pay hundreds of dollars to check luggage I should be able to take for free on account of my AA status.

Any tips or tricks?!?!

Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2023, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dcenter

Is there a trick to changing my TrueBlue number to AA number on a reservation booked through Jetblue Vacations? When I made the original booking, I could only input B6 FF #. When I go back now to manage my reservation, it shows an input for AA, but when I submit the update, the website just hangs and eventually times out.

I tried calling the Jetblue Vacations lines, and spent 20 minutes on the phone with an agent who told me she had made the change, but now, 36 hours later, its still not reflected in my reservation.

I tried contacting JetBlue on twitter, and they told me they're unable to make changes to a Jetblue Vacations booking.

Really, in the end, I just want to make sure I'm not going to have to pay hundreds of dollars to check luggage I should be able to take for free on account of my AA status.

Any tips or tricks?!?!

Thanks!
Was it necessary to enter your TrueBlue number to book the vacation package?

I think that I would now try to fix this in two steps. First, try to get JetBlue Vacations to remove your TrueBlue number from the record. Then wait a day, and try to add your AAdvantage number to the booking, either online, or by calling JetBlue Vacations again.
dcenter likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 5:19 pm

Programs: TK *G, HHonors Gold, UA 0.547MM and ex-1K but we gave up on each other
Originally Posted by dcenter

Any tips or tricks?!?!

Thanks!
Your AA status should give you free checked bags when flying JB - one bag for Gold and two for higher. Did you check with AA to see whether you need your AA number on the booking for that?

If you need anything from AA, be careful when booking through JB Vacations. They aren't Jet Blue. They only give Jet Blue points, not AA, and not for the individual flights, just for the whole package, some while after your entire trip is completed. And cancellations don't go into your miles bank; the credit is only good on another JBV booking.

But if you do need your AA number on the booking, here's how I got a printout showing my AA number on a JBV booked flight.

In my situation, I needed AA points for Gold. The best deal was with JetBlue Vacations, and no one warned me about not getting AA points. The JBV agent even said she put my AA number on my flights. But I looked after checking in online and the JB number was on it.

So I called JB and an agent put my AA number on it. Then I went to Manage your trip on the JB website and viewed it. It had the AA number, followed by the JB number. Yup - two numbers. Maybe it can happen after the boarding pass is issued, or maybe the agent didn't know the rules. In any event, a printout with both numbers might be enough to get the ticket counter to waive the fee.

Something similar happened to me with another JB flight I booked as part of a cruise. The cruise line said they put my AA number on it. But the boarding pass had the JB number. So I called JB and they put the AA number on it. In that case I did get AA points for the flights.

But not on the JBV package. When I called them the day after the flight, that's when for the first time someone said I couldn't get AA points. A JB chat agent saw both numbers, and said the flight should have been credited to AA since that number was first - BUT I'd have to get JBV to do it. And they wouldn't.

I asked AA yesterday to try to get credit for the flight, and they put in a request. The agent said if JB refused, they'd try again with my documentation. But I'm not hopeful.

So bottom line with JBV packages is that both JBV and JB will happily put your AA number on the flights. But it might not stay there. And in any event you won't get AA points.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 5:30 pm

Programs: TK *G, HHonors Gold, UA 0.547MM and ex-1K but we gave up on each other
Originally Posted by herzmeh
Had 2A assigned for weeks and just got an email saying I've been moved to 1F due to inoperational seat and yet ExpertFlyer shows my original seat as occupied. Air marshall?
Maybe ExpertFlyer can't distinguish between occupied and blocked.

The same thing happened to me and my wife two days ago. In our case it was 4F. The seat was blocked, and showed on the seatmap as unavailable. GA said the seat was blocked. When we boarded, the FA said it wasn't working, and wouldn't say what was wrong with it. It was vacant with the privacy partition raised.

Someone else in another thread had the same experience, but he asked the GA to find out the problem. The GA checked with the plane, said the seat was OK, and put the pax back in it.

If it's broken, but something you can live with, like no TV or a bad tray table, maybe you can get back in it.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by bilofsky
If you need anything from AA, be careful when booking through JB Vacations. They aren't Jet Blue.
They are part of JetBlue, but they are in a different department, and aren't as knowledgeable as regular agents. Unfortunately, Vacations bookings are indeed untouchable by regular agents until they take control of the ticket on day of departure.

I think the best way to handle this would be to have the number changed out at the airport checkin counter.
bilofsky likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 6:23 am

Extra Fees to Costa Rica make "free tickets" expensive

Hello

Looked at booking one way from JFK to LIR in early Jan of next year. The number of points needed is good/no problem, but when you get to the next page you see they want $120/person for each leg, so round trip 2 people is $480 minimum, while an AA flight that leaves a couple hours early same day/date is $180, but you need to pay more for checked bags.

So I used my avios and booked the AA flight , which ensures I can cancel with no penalty, and paid a very small added cash fee.

Whats up with the huge surcharges?
Old Mar 5, 2023, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by cpumechanic
Hello

Looked at booking one way from JFK to LIR in early Jan of next year. The number of points needed is good/no problem, but when you get to the next page you see they want $120/person for each leg, so round trip 2 people is $480 minimum, while an AA flight that leaves a couple hours early same day/date is $180, but you need to pay more for checked bags.

So I used my avios and booked the AA flight , which ensures I can cancel with no penalty, and paid a very small added cash fee.

Whats up with the huge surcharges?
Are you sure you have enough TB points? I learned the other day that the website does not clearly state if you are doing points+cash or just one or the other.

-J.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:55 pm

Programs: QF Silver
I booked a basic blue fare with EMS. If I change my flight, do I retain my EMS benefits? When I go into change flight, it says I have a check bag, but wants to charge me for a seat in row 2. Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:50 am

Baggage Fees on Jet Blue Basic with AA Platinum Status

If I book in Blue Basic do I get free baggage as an AA Platinum?
Old Mar 8, 2023, 5:46 pm

Yes. It will not tell you this at booking. AA elite benefits kick in at check-in. Two free bags up to 50lbs.
Adirondacker likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
Will jetblue check baggage through on 2 separate tickets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.